Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

I did try and get the construction drawings at the NRM on Sunday but Wolverton C&W in still work in progress for cataloging unfortunately so it may be a couple of years yet.

Hmm, that would be useful, when it does become available.

I did check Paul Bartlett's site, but I couldn't see any Stove R photos. Well, can't complain, he's covered virtually every other vehicle! :)

Had a bit of a funny one, I cancelled my order for the Hornby R stove, but today one turned up!

Ok I throught in for a Penney in for a pound, so I got it out of the box and found that the Guard window had fallen off in the box, ok I can glue that back on.

So I put it on the track (Code 75) and the dame thing will not run through any of the point work, it just derails all the time , it just climes over the frogs and the other thing I have noticed is the wheels seem to be out of gauge and are a bit wide .

OK I can put up with the fact the wrong size wheels and all the other things that have been pointed out, and I know some people have change the wheel sets, but it isa bit poor that it will not run properly, so if I change the wheels will it stop this?.

As I do not want to go hacking it up and then find out it still will not run as it should.

For a model at this price it should stay on the track, and was it ever tested on track before it was brought to the market?

The other thing is way should I have to pay out of my own pocket to get it fixed , I should be able to send it back and for them to sort it out , not me.

Rant over.

Darren

If you have paid for it depite cancelling your order... If you are not entirely happy with it you should be able to get your money back. You could argue that its not fit for its purpose because it wont run if they suppliers get shirty, although I cannot imagine they will.

I also have one of these, before changing to the 14mm wheels, I tried some Hornby metal wheels in as the ones on it kept derailing over points, and i don't have finescale, i changed them to the Hornby type and the derailing went away, i guess the profile of the wheel is wrong causing it to derail... as with a set of Hornby ones it was much happier.

Forgive me for being pernickety but why is the last post in such small type?

I bet it's a protest to demonstrate that things need to be the right size, ranging from forum fonts to RTR Stove R wheels. ;)

Pix

• RMweb Premium

Had a bit of a funny one, I cancelled my order for the Hornby R stove, but today one turned up!

Ok I throught in for a Penney in for a pound, so I got it out of the box and found that the Guard window had fallen off in the box, ok I can glue that back on.

The other thing is way should I have to pay out of my own pocket to get it fixed , I should be able to send it back and for them to sort it out , not me.

Darren

If you cancelled the order and the item was despatched, just send it back, end of.

If you cancelled the order and the item was despatched, just send it back, end of.

Er..not quite. It costs money to send the model back. If the firm is reluctant to give a promised refund, the chances of getting ones postage back is pretty slim.

It happened to me and this is why I decided to see what could be done with the darn toy. In the end, I wrote the £27.00 off as a valuable lesson that l should treat all concerned in this venture with caution in future.

By the way it's nothing to do with Hornby, the Stove R is produced by Dapol for Hornby Magazine, which is not part of Hornby the company. Confusing I know, and I don't know how they get away with it without infringing somebody's copyright, but that's how it seems to be.

Thank you all for the advice on the R stove, coachman you are right about the refund , had hell of a job just getting my order sorted out in the first place .Then reading about all the problem with the model I decided that I would cancelled my order, and they still sent me one! .

After so many cock ups in the first place I can not be bothered to send it back ,and then hope that I get a refund .

So I will keep the model and try to sort it out, one thing I do not understand is was this model ever tested on any track, if it had been the derailing problem would have been spotted straight away!.

So if it is down to the wheels why don’t Dapol/Hornby supply replacement ones? Instead of use having to go out and replace them ourselves.

I don’t think in future I will order again any special edition

Darren.

Maybe this topic should be retitled Dapol Stove R not Hornby stove R.

OzzyO.

Hoist with one's own petard springs to mind. Using a well known manufacturers name on a magazine is a good idea until something goes wrong. Interestingly, The word petard comes from the French peter, to break wind!:biggrinclear: Anyone for a special edition Izal toilet paper van?

Guest dilbert

from the French peter, to break wind!:biggrinclear:

That's why Peter is called Pierre in French - an accent changes everything : péter. There is also an associated principle in English (which could be viewed as a another corporate wind up)... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

I see the first Stove R has appeared on a certain well known auction site.

Yes, it's been on there BIN since 23rd Feb, which tells us the price may not very attractive. As "stationmaster" observed when I flagged it up on the ebay thread at the time, "no time wasters" is a rather rich demand for such an overpriced current item.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I have the Dapol/Hornby R Stove and have change the wheels as Coachman has done, but I am still having problems with it derailing on some of my point work.

I have put a set of Alan Gibson wheels on it and have fixed the bogies so the no longer turn , but nothing I seem to do will sort it out!.

Has anyone got any advice as to what I could do next to get this thing running as it should?

All the very best

Darren

Two things. Check the back-to-back of the wheels with a proper gauge. Also what radius points are you using. I have found that wheels from Hornby and Bachmann run like butter through pointwork. That said, I still use Gibson wheels as well but my points are 3ft and 5ft radius.

You need to look at the coach chassis at eye level and push it slowly through the offending points to see when derailment starts to occur. If the point is a sharp one, it could be the coach has reached its limit of flexibility. Is there any up & down movement on the middle wheels?

IIRC,

JZ published a very interesting 'fix' for the stove on the forum- the problem being the lack of vertical movement in the centre axle.

Either remove the centre axle retainer and carefully relieve the axle bearing with a rat tail until the axle 'floats' or look up JZ' instructions.

DesA

HI

The point that is giving me the most problem is my Peco code 75 double slip, this is the one it keeps coming off on.

I will have another go at filing out the middle wheel a bit more to give it a bit more play.

thanks for the help.

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Premium

One of mine had a casting pip on the top of one of the bogies. I clipped that off and running improved.

Had an interesting uncoupling problem on a different layout: 2 vans running at the end of a train and one detached a couple of times on the same (very wide radius) curve. (Kadees)

Archived