Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

S.A.C.Martin : I have never seen a photo of one in B&C livery, altough this isn't to say some weren't done.

The 50ft bogie Passenger Brake Vans that got blood & custard were those that were rostered to run with passenger carrying coaches in that livery. Most of these were the 'All-Steel' version built in the 1920s by outside contractors, chosen because of their ability to absorb impact forces in the event of a derailment or collision. I do not think 6-wheel Passenger Brake Vans would have been rostered to run at the head of express passenger trains. They did not have the structural advantages of the all-steel bogie vans and a 6-wheel van would have inferior riding qualities.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply coach. :)

Now I just have to find a photograph of one in that livery - or a decent pic of the N gauge model to copy! :lol:

Excuse my french but its a bloody travesty. If you choose to paint your van carmine & cream (blood & custard), recommended paints can be had from pucker model railway paint supplyiers such as Howes Railmatch and Precision Paints. There would be a carmine band along the cantrail too. Below the waist, do NOT take the carmine up to the windows......This van has a high waistline and so you would need to take measurement for the lower carmine red off a low window coach such as a Stanier.

Larry

Excuse my french but its a bloody travesty. If you choose to paint your van carmine & cream (blood & custard), recommended paints can be had from pucker model railway paint supplyiers such as Howes Railmatch and Precision Paints. There would be a carmine band along the cantrail too. Below the waist, do NOT take the carmine up to the windows......This van has a high waistline and so you would need to take measurement for the lower carmine red off a low window coach such as a Stanier.

Larry

Fair enough Larry (I'm retreating with the tin hat back on :lol: ).

That's very helpful re the waistline as I wasn't sure which was right.

Received my BR crimson one in the post yesterday. On first inspection it looks a nice model but of course having read about the errors, they're the first thing I looked for. I'm going to have a go at changing the wheels, not sure about the colour though - when I put it next to my crimson BZ 6-wheeler, it's way off. Has anyone else got any comments about this livery?

Guest Max Stafford

Looks like my cheque never reached them or mine would have arrived by now.

Ah well never mind, on with the Comet job! :)

Dave.

I was expecting some mail this morning but not what actually arrived. On opening one package, it became clear the emails between me and the Ian Allan organisation concerning a refund had been patently ignored and I was sent a Stove R instead. And no, I am not going to post it back to IA when reimburement is far from assured. I no longer feel any constraint now this has happened.

Battery boxes were in the box, not on the model. No problem, I'll fix that.

Intrigued by the brake shoe placement, I re-gauged a pair of wagon wheels so that the brakeshoes were opposite the wheel treads. It was only an excersise as I a not thinking of converting it to 5ft 9ins gauge track...;)

post-6680-0-71530600-1296326383_thumb.jpgpost-6680-0-53236400-1296326385_thumb.jpg

BODY : I was dissapointed that the body was 9ft wide instead of 8ft 6ins. It should be 9ft over the lookout duckets but because the duckets stick out too far it is closer to 10ft width overall. The buffer planks are 1½mm too wide. The stubby end steps are barely 0.75mm in depth, somewhat removed from the typically 2mm found on other models.

CHASSIS : I couldn't get my head around the swivelling end axles. Any linkage to steer the wheels into curves is simply not there. I bent a yard track into an sharp 'S' and pushed the van along. The outer axles failed to reposition themselves for the reverse curve.....Indeed, why should they.

post-6680-0-36964200-1296326381_thumb.jpg

LIVERY : The shade of LMS crimson lake is like nothing the LMS used. The best I can say is it reminded me of some coaches that I saw as a child after the war...... a mucky brownish-maroon.

The yellow lining should not be on the raised horizontal beading strips. The yellow line directly above the windows should e above the beading and stop at each door ventilator. The yellow lining at the waist should be lower and run through the door handles.

post-6680-0-47061100-1296326736_thumb.jpg

Those are my observations.........Not negative comments, but merely comparing the model with what it purports to represent.

It sounds daft at this stage, but it's cute! Ian Allan Publishing (the name on the bottom of the model), has thrown down the gauntlet and sent me a Stove R instead of a refund. I like a challenge.........B) !

"It sounds daft at this stage, but it's cute!"....

Indeed it is Coach, I've kept up with the varying opinions of the model in this thread, taken it all in, ummed and arred a bit, but looking at your photo, I still fancy one!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

Now there's a thing - the 'BR crimson' version looks closer to Coachman's 'proper LMS Lake than the colour applied to the HM 'LMS version'. Incidentally the crimson vehicle has some other refinements - the lettering is very neat and seems comprehensive and to scale although I haven't got a decent prototype pic to set it against but more perversely the incorrectly reproduced van door handles are now picked out in 'gold' which shows them off very nicely, oops.

But overall it has got a nice 'air' to it notwithstanding the catalogue of errors and production delays although to be blunt I think it is over-priced (or more correctly over-priced for what has finally been offered, if it had met the original brave promise and specification I think it would have been a bargain). I said my piece before about specs and contracts so all I will repeat is that I hope all involved will have learnt their lesson from this one because they will be doing the hobby and themselves a great disservice if they have not.

IIRC adding a coat of gloss varnish would radically transform the appearance of the Airfix coaches - might work on the Dapol.

Afraid not in this instance. The colour falls outside the accepted spectrum for LMS crimson lake. Compare it with a jar of Howes Railmatch No.610. At least the Dapol glazing came away with ease, but I have yet to reach the repainting stage having been busy finishing off commercial obligations.

Well after waiting a week for IA to confirm that they had my order placed at Warley I have given up and told them should they 'find' it then consider it CANCELLED. With all the reports of poor running I am not prepared to pay £30 for a RTR that does not run. Guess I have had a lucky escape.

I applaud HM for commissioning the model but someone has seriousely taken their eye off the ball to end up with a model with all the reported faults. I feel Dapol has a lot to answer for, I had problems with some of their products some 7 years back and if you are monitoring these forums Dapol I have still not had a reply to my 3 e-mails, 2 phone messages and 1 letter on the matter!!!!! I was prepared to give them them another chance with the Stove R but never again, I am wanting the LMS twins 10000 & 10001 but no way will I chance the Dapol version.

OK, rant over, now where is the Comet catalogue!

Tony

Archived