RMweb Groups

• RMweb Gold

the current problem that is being experienced is why i objected to the whole dcc sounds sub forum becoming someones "group" rather than people starting individual niche sound groups, the whole sub forum is now inaccessable.....

hope it can be sorted in due time though

• RMweb Gold

My 'Join Group' button says 'You cannot join this group' both in and out of compatibility mode in IE8 and on all of the groups I have looked at.

It is starting to give me an inferiority complex.:D

Might this be a case of unnecessary complexity? Why not subdivide the Overseas Modelling forum for those who like US and Canadian and be done with it? Back when I did IS for a living, by the way, this is the sort of change that didn't go down well with the users. . .

@big jim & JWB

IT'S A TEMPORARY GLITCH WHICH WILL BE RESOLVED ASAP, THIS IS NO JUST CAUSE TO START MOANING ABOUT GROUPS AGAIN. THIS UPGRADE WAS INTENDED TO REMOVE THE MAIN CONCERN ANYONE HAD ABOUT GROUPS.

Well, just so you test things before you announce they're all fixed again, right?

With the permissions masks I have at this end everything did appear to be working b(trying to get it done as swiftly as possible) but of course there is still an error and I did say there were items still being worked on.

Please; just let me get on with fixing it instead of having to spend time addressing silly assumptions.

Well, no need to reply 'til you're less busy, but out of curiosity, do you work in the IS field? This would be called "putting in changes on the fly", and is sometimes frowned on. . .

• RMweb Gold
Please; just let me get on with fixing it instead of having to spend time addressing silly assumptions.

Andy, post a big banner across the site header: "There is a problem -- I'm working on it. -- Any member who posts about it unnecessarily will be removed from RMweb."

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

no probs andy...

out of interest i tried to have a look at the sound sub forum in ip-mobile mode on my iphone/ipad and it said that i needed a password to view the dcc sounds group, not seen that before, i've not got a password anyway that i know of, didn't ask in normal mode though, just got the forum home page with no topics etc as everyone else seems to be getting

and is sometimes frowned on. . .

And so is getting on people's tits when they're trying to solve a problem.

The problem is now resolved. The App writer had made an omission in one file which he found the solution for and was implemented on here within 5 minutes of his diagnosis. The App writer is releasing an update version to other users as we speak.

do you work in the IS field?

No, but does that mean I shouldn't run the place?

• RMweb Gold

The degree of entitlement in this post is staggering. FFS.

Quite. Some members of this free site enjoy digging holes for themselves, while others are not content with that, but actually climb down into the hole and pull the earth in after them.

OK, maybe for future reference, normally if you make a change to an environment where many users could be affected by a glitch, there's something called a "test environment" that you implement the change in first and test thoroughly before you put it into the "production environment". It does seem to me that you have numerous ads here, as well as hundreds of users on line at a time, and thus, even if it's an avocational activity, it's in your interest to plan these things out. The glitch itself wasn't your fault, though again, in an environment where many users will be affected, it's often not a good idea to implement software that hasn't had its own bugs shaken out. As well, for major changes, it's usual among IS workers to have a backout plan in place that will allow immediate reversion to the prior environment that is known to work. Even in a hobby situation, it isn't unreasonable to feel entitled to what amounts to simple courtesy, and for that I don't think I need to apologize.

Just to confirm that the reason for carrying out the update was to enable the following:

All Group content will now appear in Active Content and View New Content in the same way as any other forum area irrespective of whether you are a member of a Group or your site session.

Any Group content will not appear as 'Password protected' on the board index

Abridged list of developer's notes on changes.

• New
    • User alternation notes now include the starting and ending rank of the user, similarly to how ban notes work [#27]
    • Group forums now have an altered breadcrumb which is similar to the breadcrumbs used throughout the Social Groups app. It should help increase the integration of forums into Social Groups [#71]
    • Error messages are now more descriptive and give links back to more relevant pages, instead of always giving a link to the Social Groups index [#90]
    • Added some caches for group data, adds a slight improvement to the overall speed of the application [#116]
    • You can now set the default permission grid which will be used in each group (it previously was hard coded) [#122]
    • VNC now displays Group's forum data more consistently [#127]
    • Group forums now display as if they were normal, non-password protected, forums [#128]

• Fixed
    • Issue where smilies were not being parsed in group news [#94]
    • Minor skin issues on the Invite History and Change Owner pages [#98]
    • Issue where group categories were not being displayed in the correct order while adding a group [#106]
    • Bug which prevented you from 'liking' a group's news feed if you were not a member of the group [#109]
    • Minor skin issue where the "My Groups" profile tab had a slightly different color scheme than the other tabs [#113]
    • Minor skin issue which made links in the group's description almost the exact same color as the rest of the text, making it hard to see if text is a link or not [#118]
    • Major issue which prevents groups from being deleted if their forum has already been removed [#129]
    • Minor skin issue where an image was being loaded off of an external server instead of your own site [#130]

• RMweb Gold

OK, maybe for future reference, normally if you make a change to an environment where many users could be affected by a glitch, there's something called a "test environment" that you implement the change in first and test thoroughly before you put it into the "production environment". It does seem to me that you have numerous ads here, as well as hundreds of users on line at a time, and thus, even if it's an avocational activity, it's in your interest to plan these things out. The glitch itself wasn't your fault, though again, in an environment where many users will be affected, it's often not a good idea to implement software that hasn't had its own bugs shaken out. As well, for major changes, it's usual among IS workers to have a backout plan in place that will allow immediate reversion to the prior environment that is known to work. Even in a hobby situation, it isn't unreasonable to feel entitled to what amounts to simple courtesy, and for that I don't think I need to apologize.

Fascinating.

Guest dilbert

Did you ever teach your grandmother to suck eggs ? How about posting an example of a vocational SLA/metrics on the forum ? Does your head see daylight ? What a disgrace... dilbert

Sorry; that's just patronising and insulting.

The problem would not have manifest itself without a duplicate software installation including associated modifications made at this end (which would possibly put me in breach of licensing conditions although I'm sure they would have been fine about it), a copy of the existing database, multiple test user accounts followed by time to test all permutations. And then I could do the installation for real. My estimate for doing all of that would be around 12-14 hours so the positive end result would have been set back further.

If I were actually being paid by the hour to do such tasks I may carry out that belt and braces approach but as you may have guessed I'm not and I look for the quickest route to a solution to improve the site for as many people as possible.

Rather than adopting a Mappa Mundi mentality just breathe out, relax and bear in mind no-one was killed in the process of rectifying the problem.

OK, so I sigh, lean back, think it's a great day out, and wonder -- the unplanned outage for the groups function was something like 5 hours. Spending by your estimate an additional 12-14 hours would have avoided the unplanned 5 hour outage. Meanwhile somebody's posted something about heads seeing daylight, when all I suggested was that spending 12-14 hours to avoid a 5 hour outage might have been courtesy. I still don't see what's unreasonable there, or indeed, something to which people might not be entitled.

Sorry; that's just patronising and insulting.

The problem would not have manifest itself without a duplicate software installation including associated modifications made at this end (which would possibly put me in breach of licensing conditions although I'm sure they would have been fine about it), a copy of the existing database, multiple test user accounts followed by time to test all permutations. And then I could do the installation for real. My estimate for doing all of that would be around 12-14 hours so the positive end result would have been set back further.

If I were actually being paid by the hour to do such tasks I may carry out that belt and braces approach but as you may have guessed I'm not and I look for the quickest route to a solution to improve the site for as many people as possible.

Rather than adopting a Mappa Mundi mentality just breathe out, relax and bear in mind no-one was killed in the process of rectifying the problem.

With all the skin problems though, sounds like Dermatitis !

The problem is now resolved. The App writer had made an omission in one file which he found the solution for and was implemented on here within 5 minutes of his diagnosis. The App writer is releasing an update version to other users as we speak.

Well done and thank you Andy :clapping:

for that I don't think I need to apologize.

Ah, but it seems that every other member of this site thinks you do...

...because...

Even in a hobby situation, it isn't unreasonable to feel entitled to what amounts to simple courtesy

...is exactly whay you have failed to show to Andy :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

OK, so I sigh, lean back, think it's a great day out, and wonder -- the unplanned outage for the groups function was something like 5 hours. Spending by your estimate an additional 12-14 hours would have avoided the unplanned 5 hour outage. Meanwhile somebody's posted something about heads seeing daylight, when all I suggested was that spending 12-14 hours to avoid a 5 hour outage might have been courtesy. I still don't see what's unreasonable there, or indeed, something to which people might not be entitled.

Keep digging :fool_mini:

This is a free site and is kept running with Andy's good will and time.

I don't think you (or any of us) aren't intitled to didly squat and I for one am grateful for what is available. If you think you can do better, please feel free to provide us all with something better.

I still don't see what's unreasonable there

I'm not even going to start to explain to you why I had to leave the house and why there was a delay that wouldn't normally happen but I do think it fair to point out to you that I find your expectations rather silly; it's a non-profit making hobby site where time is a voluntary input from everyone on here and you've wasted more time than is reasonable.

Archived