RMweb Groups

• RMweb Gold

Well, no need to reply 'til you're less busy, but out of curiosity, do you work in the IS field? This would be called "putting in changes on the fly", and is sometimes frowned on. . .

I've done that on live hospital systems - it's often frowned upon by those who don't have a clue as to real risks ;)

I'm sure Andy mentioned about letting him get on with it rather than asking silly questions :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

it's often not a good idea to implement software that hasn't had its own bugs shaken out. As well, for major changes, it's usual among IS workers to have a backout plan in place that will allow immediate reversion to the prior environment that is known to work.

You don't have a lot of knowledge of IT do you ? :bad:

• RMweb Gold
My 'Join Group' button says 'You cannot join this group' both in and out of compatibility mode in IE8 and on all of the groups I have looked at.

I am still seeing this although I'm not sure if it's a problem at your end or mine.

• RMweb Premium

OK, maybe for future reference, normally if you make a change to an environment where many users could be affected by a glitch, there's something called a "test environment" that you implement the change in first and test thoroughly before you put it into the "production environment". It does seem to me that you have numerous ads here, as well as hundreds of users on line at a time, and thus, even if it's an avocational activity, it's in your interest to plan these things out. The glitch itself wasn't your fault, though again, in an environment where many users will be affected, it's often not a good idea to implement software that hasn't had its own bugs shaken out. As well, for major changes, it's usual among IS workers to have a backout plan in place that will allow immediate reversion to the prior environment that is known to work. Even in a hobby situation, it isn't unreasonable to feel entitled to what amounts to simple courtesy, and for that I don't think I need to apologize.

Don't know who this as#e is but who the hell does he think he is, unless he's contributing hundred of thousands of Dollars to support the site he should just but out.

steve

I'm interested to see if the software upgrade has had any beneficial effects for the IE users who faced numerous issues with the Groups?

Does that mean that the upgrade is now, in theory, fully working? I've been keeping my head down not to interfere ...

but that raises a serious and more general point - how do we know that an upgrade is in process and being tweeked so as not to just post problems in the middle of work been done.

I appreciate that upgrades need implementing and in theory these can muckchange things up for a while - but when do we userstesters have free reigne to point out issues with the upgrade ?

• RMweb Gold

OK, so I sigh, lean back, think it's a great day out, and wonder -- the unplanned outage for the groups function was something like 5 hours. Spending by your estimate an additional 12-14 hours would have avoided the unplanned 5 hour outage. Meanwhile somebody's posted something about heads seeing daylight, when all I suggested was that spending 12-14 hours to avoid a 5 hour outage might have been courtesy. I still don't see what's unreasonable there, or indeed, something to which people might not be entitled.

5 hours? Andy could just flick the big off switch and be done with it. But he doesn't because he knows there are a lot of people out there who really appreciate what he is doing.

Apparently this is good for irritating arses. ;)

I'll pay postage...

Keep up the good work Andy. smile3.gif

• RMweb Gold

To start with, thank you Andy for your hard work in keeping this place running. There maybe one or two who don't appreciate it, but I and the overwhelming majority do. So once again many thanks.drinks.gif

I'm interested to see if the software upgrade has had any beneficial effects for the IE users who faced numerous issues with the Groups?

I've been able to get back onto the group page, if that is of any help! So something has worked at my end!

Best wishes,

Nick

I've tried to join a group using Firefox 4.0.1, IE 9 and Opera 11.11, but the button says "You cannot join this group" in all of them. Opsys is Windows 7, latest updates all installed.

I can post into a group, but apparently not join a group.

Please note that this is not a complaint, contentious postiing or a request for Anusol, merely reporting back to answer a question that Andy asked :)

but when do we userstesters have free reigne to point out issues with the upgrade ?

Any time; it is actually helpful to know what people are experiencing and it generally doesn't take long to establish the commonalities when people are doing so. Staring an argument in the middle of a fix isn't recommended though. ;)

Guest dilbert

Please note that this is not a complaint, contentious postiing or a request for Anusol, merely reporting back to answer a question that Andy asked :)

Apparently Arsteroids is piles more painful than haemorrhoids... dilbert

Firefox on XP - seeing "You cannot join this group"

Underlying source code appears to be:

"<ul class="topic_buttons"> <li class="disabled"><span>You cannot join this group</span></li> </ul>"

Similar in Chrome and Opera, so it doesn't appear to be an IE problem.

David

OK, so I sigh, lean back, think it's a great day out, and wonder -- the unplanned outage for the groups function was something like 5 hours. Spending by your estimate an additional 12-14 hours would have avoided the unplanned 5 hour outage. Meanwhile somebody's posted something about heads seeing daylight, when all I suggested was that spending 12-14 hours to avoid a 5 hour outage might have been courtesy. I still don't see what's unreasonable there, or indeed, something to which people might not be entitled.

Seriously? Are you for real?

Do you believe that there is an army of paid developers, testers and support technicians running this site?

I work in IT (IS if you prefer) Not only do we have all of the above, but we also suffer much, MUCH bigger problems - and we have literally BILLIONS of pounds behind us. FYI I'm a software test manager, running the test lab for the UK shopfloor systems of the third largest retailer in the world. (Besides finding time to try and run a model shop)

OK, maybe for future reference. Normally when an organisation makes a change to a system, they carry out what is called a "Cost Benefit Analysis"

They also perform a "Risk Analysis" where the risks associated with the change are measured, and the acceptability of each risk is determined, with mitigating steps put in place.

Perhaps 12-14 hours of Andy's time is worth much more than the inconvenience caused during the 5 hour downtime.

Pehaps the risk associated with the downtime (Some users can't access an experimental area of the forum for a few hours) was deemed acceptable and preferable to the 12-14 hours of work option.

One thing is for sure, your percieved entitlement holds no value whatsoever.

So I sigh, lean back, see its dark and rainy outside and wonder - No-one should feel entitled to the use of this site. We should, all of us, be grateful for the incalculable hours that Andy has FREELY GIVEN to keep this site running over the years. Its very easy to be critical from the comfort of an armchair, - it is unnecessary, demoralising and unhelpful, I know, I've been on the recieving end as well at times.

Now rather than being critical on the open forum, perhaps you could utilse your years of IS experience and provide useful assistance, maybe raising fault reports or helping to debug the system via the private channels. no? Don't have time?

Once you've created a forum and website that is the leader in it's field, pretty much on your own and without the resources of a major corporation behind you, then perhaps you could feel justified in your criticisms. until then perhaps it would be wise to keep your head down and get back to your modelling.

Archived