RMweb Groups

One can join a Group. How does one leave a Group?

I think the Join button is replaced with a Leave button - at least on the one I've managed to force my way into.

But I can see even less reason for leaving than I can see for joining. Is it really that bad in there?

• RMweb Gold
Hopefully it will make it easier for people to follow stuff they're interested in.

I've felt for a long time that's far too much on here for anyone to take it all in and I've thought about how it can be made easier for people to keep pace with what they're interested in .....

Just a big thank you, find the stuff I want to look at much easier now. There is an argument which says that looking at the stuff you are interested in prevents you from looking at other stuff.

- but got to counter that with if you can find the stuff you want to look at quickly & easily it frees up time to look at other stuff. It was getting a bit unwieldly. Very positive development, if stuff comes up into two (or more) areas the obvious thing to do would be to post links to the other group etc rather than cross-post (at least I would hope it is obvious!!).

• RMweb Gold
The page header seems to have changed in style over the past few days and I presume I missed an announcement (?) seeing as GROUPS has dissapeared.

Hi Larry,

Groups are in the list which appears when you click Content:

post-1103-0-05909100-1306486763_thumb.png

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I think Groups has wrought a large positive change in RMWeb. In a couple of the Groups I have joined, regular players are now posting with new energy and information. Very hard to see a significant downside to the new arrangements IMHO.

Yes I could; it's a manual process. At the moment they're purely in the order they were created. However I'm looking at something that may order them in the chronology of the most recent activity.

Thanks Redgate and Martin. I got to Groups but mine wont open becasue I get, Done but with errors on page.

Opened RMweb using Opera and everything opens as it should. Weard as I expected IE to work after it was upgraded yesterday.

Sorry Dave; I haven't been around much for the last 36 hours.

I think that issue is down to the IE problem if you doesn't admit you after you click on Join.

No need to apologise, we all have a life to lead.

I'm not sure if this is the IE problem or not. As you know, there is no join button for the Group Owners group, it's greyed out - I'm clicking on the link you sent me. I click on that, it takes me to the Owners Group, but then won't let me open any threads ('you are not a member of this group') and I don't appear on the members list. This is the same procedure (a pm with a link) that you sent me for my own BR Blue group, and that worked fine (this is all with IE8). Unfortunately, the group owners group is the only one without a button, otherwise I'd just click that :(

Edit: ignore all that, I just tried logging out and back in again, then pressing the PM-ed link again, and now the link took me to the same page... but the 'Join Group' buttons had appeared. So I've pressed and now just need approval.

This forum software is just barking at times.

• RMweb Premium

Mine's gone back to the list now - it's quite exciting to log in everyday to see what the latest changes are, be they Andy-intended or otherwise :D

so has mine :laugh:

cant wait until tomorrow B)

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone object if I expanded the Boxfile & Micro Layouts group to also include Dioramas ?

It seems a logical place for them and there's no dedicated group so far.

Stu

Hi Dave,

Just tried to invite you again but it won't let me re-invite you. Will need to look into that over the weekend.

Andy, I don't know if you saw my edit above, but it seems I just need 'approving' now. I get the message 'Your group membership status is pending approval. Your membership request will have to be approved before you will have full access to this group' when I view the owners group, so I think I'm nearly there.

Can you give some specific instances for that please?

topic url (or whatever activity you were trying), time of day, time it took to load etc - all useful information.

Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow; it can depend on a myriad of things - not least the number of people online at the same time and the number of queries being made against a rather large database at the same time.

Sometimes it's slow for someone all of the time and in such cases it may not just be our server that's an issue.

Hi Andy,

Having battled with my Window 7 Office 2010 64 bit HP Laptop after a warranty hard disk failure I have had many compatibility issues with IE9 even though I restored a full system backup. I am running RMweb in compatibility mode at present. If you are using IE9 64bit expect a whole host of compatibility some of which cannot be currently fixed according to MS but there are workarounds for many of them.

This certainly caused me problems with Groups on RMweb opening slowly. I therefore switched to IE 9 32 bit which works a lot better but still gives issues as can be seen below – Group headings not being fully visible. I then used Firefox as my default Brower and as can be seen the page displayed correctly.

RMwebGroupsandBrowsers_2.jpg

RMwebGroupsandBrowsers_1.jpg

I think it is too easy to blame all the problems on issues with the RMweb forum software, when even Norton Security Safe has problems with IE 9! I would suggest that Firefox 4.0.1 is probably the best browser to open RMweb with and if issues do not manifest themselves when Group capabilities are being utilised that the issues are noted and no action taken pending iE9 being fixed by MS. Having gone through a lot of problems with IE9 and spent many hours sorting out workarounds and you will start losing the will to live after many hours sitting in front of your PC!

I hope this helps a little

Nigel

Andy, I'm typing this at 9:10pm Eastern DST.

Just to load pages to peruse is taking on average 45 seconds right now.

The big delays seem to be going from Active Content to Groups via the pull down menu, "Add Reply" or "Edit".

An "Add Reply" from hitting it sat doing nothing for 4mins 30 seconds until I gave up and stopped it - the weird thing is I hit "Add Reply" again immediately and I could type a reply in about 20 seconds..........about 15 mins ago.

This type of thing makes no sense to me! It appears random. I can say that the biggest delays for me occur after midnight UK time and last until about 5:00am UK which is counter intuitive....

Best, Pete.

Archived