QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Hello David, that's triple (count 'em) gauge.......couple more pics to follow, Brian

Oops! :blush_mini:  Missed the extra rail... Just out of curiosity, what gauge and type of wire are did you use for the catenary? Was it built in situ or off site with a jig?

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hello Pete,   It's HO/ P87 again, from some 30 years back.  Standard (16.5mm)  metre (11.49) and 76cm (8.73mm), catenary 6.3m (7.3mm)

I assume that's a typo for 72.3mm

above railhead (all strung straight between mast fixings - no curved bits).

How's it electrified? I wouldn't like to work out where all the insulating gaps go for two-rail, myself.

It does look wonderful.

Oops! :blush_mini:  Missed the extra rail... Just out of curiosity, what gauge and type of wire are did you use for the catenary? Was it built in situ or off site with a jig?

Cheers,

David

Hello David, the catenary is all made from 24 gauge piano wire (man at the music shop thought I was building a one note piano) soldered up solid in situ, no jigs and no tensioning - it is all just solid. It is all 'live' all the time, sectioning being done through the rail gaps in the normal way. The masts, brass rod and tube, I built in the Itallian fashion just because I like the basic simplicty of that style.

Brian,

Just found "not usual" something for your next "quai" project. :mail: Note you can see the edge of the river bridge at the RHS rear.

http://www.tmny.org/catl.php?n=2798&d=c1940&c=Wuppertal+std.+gauge+trolley+No.+71%0Awith+small+open+trailer

BTW, the upper steelwork is for the overhead suspended Wupperthal trains. Got room for one of those as well? :scratchhead:

Ted

Brian,

Just found "not usual" something for your next "quai" project. :mail: Note you can see the edge of the river bridge at the RHS rear.

http://www.tmny.org/catl.php?n=2798&d=c1940&c=Wuppertal+std.+gauge+trolley+No.+71%0Awith+small+open+trailer

BTW, the upper steelwork is for the overhead suspended Wupperthal trains. Got room for one of those as well? :scratchhead:

Ted

Nice one Ted, how did you know I was toying with the idea of a tramway layout, Brian.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just about finished the colouring in of the cobbling and what have you around the tram stop on QUAI:87. I will probably add some more tonal variations when it has all settled down a bit. The gaps (grouting? crud?) between the cobbles and the bricks was done with a wash of grey water colour and then the bricks themselves and some of the cobbles coloured with artist pencil crayons (water colour type). The whole area then had a good dusting over with white chalk mixed with talcum powder to give the area that 'hasn't rained for months look'. The tarmac patch on this piece of work isn't 'what's left after all the other has worn away' as on another famous bit of cobbling but rather tarmac that was used to fill in where the old connection was taken out when the crossover was changed. Just got to put all the buildings and the O/H line back and we'll be running again. Brian. Ps, must plant some flowers in that boat too.

post-5773-0-22133100-1360252162_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 16

No sooner than I had finished the tramway cobbling on QUAI:87 than a new tram turns up.post-5773-0-65763700-1360672779_thumb.jpg This is a standard Lima model which needs quite a bit doing to it to gring it up to scratch. Clearly it will need to be P87ed and something will need to be done with those panto contact bars. Also the livery application around the articulation area needs touching up and no doubt other things will present themselves as I work on the tram. I couldn't resist the reflection shot - you might like to know that for such a shot I often give my water surface a rub over with Lord Shereton's superior caretaker wood preserving Balm - brings it up a treat. Brian. (that's superior Balm, not caretakers)

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...