James May - again

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium

I think there was a thread on this here in the fairly recent past, IIRC this time they had the sense to make it self propelled.

EDIT

This 'ere thread:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35418-james-may-barnstaple-to-bideford-2-sat-16th-april/page__p__371246__hl__bideford__fromsearch__1#entry371246

• RMweb Gold

Main thing is we won, but what an endorsement for the new Hornby HST (even if the German equivalent did beat it!) the thing runs 10 miles without incident, or required any repair work! 700 scale miles of running (according to the show) non-stop that is excellent! A truly wonderful achievement for Hornby!

I do wonder having watched the British Secret Weapon Train whether that method of using hydrogen will catch on? wink.gif

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

What an excellent program.Congratulations all round to those involved.Plenty of humour along the way and very entertaining.James May is a very likeable bloke.Put the Scotsman on ebay now. ;)

Done properly this time, using cardan-shaft flywheel driven stock (for the most part), none of this motor-bogie 395 plastic stuff. Impressed by the HST – good loco there.

The Alternative Energy trains were innovative, if impractical - The LiOn trains should have had larger bogies, allowing a greater proportion of batter mass to be below the pivot point. Building a 'well waggon' between two Bachmann commonwealths would have improved matters for a start! Alternatively both it and the fuel cell train would have been improved had the power plants been distributed across a couple of Garratt arrangement chassis.

When May's Scotsman needed its 'chassis block replaced', I presume that was service, rather than replace, Margate don't stock spares that old, and there seemed to be a motor lying on the track, so can we presume a spare was soldered in?

Now in scale terms, one assumes the Brits would have lost 2-1, since 1:87 covers more scale miles!!!

Enjoyable hour (or indeed rounding off three hours of Hammond on the Bullet Train, and Top Gear being childish!).

Well done May et al. Clearly not going to get any world records as there was much assistance on the way, but very entertaining and simply fun!

James May's Scotsman deserves a place in the NRM, telling an quirky chapter of railway/model history!

• RMweb Gold
Done properly this time, using cardan-shaft flywheel driven stock (for the most part), none of this motor-bogie 395 plastic stuff. Impressed by the HST – good loco there.

The ET403 / ET404 "Donald Duck" set was an interesting choice to compete against it.

Very interesting for me - but this might have something to do with my first taste of HO having been one of the 1st generation Lima ones. Somehow though, I doubt if the "pancake" motor bogie of the old version would have fared as well.

Talking of "Donald Duck" sets, I wonder what happened to the real ones (and if any usable drawings exist on the web). As I'm being kept rather busy these days, I guess I'm not likely to find out any time soon.

Very enjoyable, I would like to see it become an annual event. biggrin.gif

Yes in a different and more ambitious place in a different scale everytime. S&D or Forres - Aviemore in 0 :yahoo:!

• RMweb Gold

Yes in a different and more ambitious place in a different scale everytime. S&D or Forres - Aviemore in 0 :yahoo:!

There is a challenge, do it in P4!! You'd need a blooming well sprung chassis and a loco which weighed a ton to keep the thing on the track!

Regards,

• RMweb Gold

Yes highly entertaining again, doesn't the Donald Duck train count as Hornby too? Part of the Hornby group as it's an old Lima product :laugh:

I agree all these experts seemed to miss the basic fact that on uneven track a low centre od gravity would have helped. The D Duck was also being run on 18v which is why they were forcasting early on that they might burn out the motor. So the question is if they had taken the risk with the HST on 18v would it have got there as quickly without problems too?

I wonder what happened to all the track afterwards, anyone involved know?

• RMweb Gold

Another highly entertaining episode, good to see that the Simon K got a bit more airtime this time round.

;) However, did you spot the discrepancy? The section at Barnstaple was single track, whereas they claimed to have double track to enable the "competition" to take place (note the " here... :rolleyes: ) so someone must have switched some connections secretly. Same goes for the other end: single track into the station... ;)

Quite simply at both ends the track did not need to be double as the liklyhood of trains needing to pass in opposite directions there was virtually nil, the double track was laid along the majority of the line where such passing was likely.

• RMweb Gold

Yes nice to see Hornby get a bit of credit. I was pleasantly surprised and thought this one was even better than the previous programme. Now did they use points for the single line section or just swap the connection on the straights over once the third outbound train had passed?

......Well done May et al. Clearly not going to get any world records ...

And as stated in the intro to the programme "........In the last non-prize winning programme, we didn't succeed in ....." or words to that effect.

Enjoyed it. A'lotta fun.

Massive credit to Hornby as the continental locos were Rivarossi. I know there was some tinkering but I think considering the conditions the locos performed excellently. The track was Hornby as well. Simon Kohler seemed quite chuffed.

Great show - there was much more going on in the programme than last time, it seems like they had everything organised a lot better. No negative comments about the nerdiness of toy trains either.

I also thought it was good to see and 'meet' Simon Kohler on telly, he was a good down-to-earth ambassador for the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

It might have been an idea to have had pre assembled track sections on baseboards clipped together rather than use 'train set' track, these could have been made on a jig to ensure accuracy. By doing this and raising the track from the ground would reduce some of the other problems they had such as stray leaves on the line. There are some places of course such as crossing roads where this would not be possible and reversion to the method used in the program would be necessary.

Archived