Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Interesting. I didn't know you could pre-pay VAT on direct shipments from outside the EU.

Hello

I found this on their Amazon page: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q; VAT is included in listed price?

A; Yes, however, we cannot pay the tax in advance.  
So if you are charged, please send us digital version of the receipt and we will pay you as partial refund.  

Thanks
SEEYA

ANT

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I found this on their Amazon page: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q; VAT is included in listed price?

A; Yes, however, we cannot pay the tax in advance.  
So if you are charged, please send us digital version of the receipt and we will pay you as partial refund.  

Thanks
SEEYA

ANT

Very interesting. I believe there's a handling charge as well - I wonder if they cover that too?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. I didn't know you could pre-pay VAT on direct shipments from outside the EU.

If sent UPS or other recognised courier they can take payment from the supplier in advance for tax, customs and fees.

If not they persue the recipient a few days later by invoice.

Had some funny instances with this at my company where low sometimes no value, intracompany goods were despatched between offices but were insured as high value by default.

One occasion our overseas friends sent overnight before 9am shipping, an empty box, with sellotape inside, insured for $5000 from the US. So the recipient could return a broken laptop.

A few days later an invoice for it arrived for nearly £1000 in taxes paid by the courier.

Said laptop went in the bin instead.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe It pays to click on the advertisers links within this site...

rails of sheffield are having a bigger clear out...

MSC Sentinel £39.50

https://railsofsheffield.com/sentinel-dh16-4dh-msc-locomotive-r3482-Hornby-JJJA30003.aspx

new release K1s £79.50 (In 62006 / 65)

Bristolian Train pack for £160, or the coaches for £89.

J15s £75.

I'm thinking I could do with 3 K1s for their tenders, get 62006 & swap the BR lettered tender with 65's, and get another 65 to upgrade my D49's tender, then dump the two 65's loco bodies & chassis.

A Oakes have a two for one this Saturday note its in store shoppers only!

THIS SATURDAY 11th FEBRUARY  is our 2 for 1 Day OPENING AT 9.30a.m. LOOK FOR SPECIAL TICKETS.

Note Times we are selling on Saturday  at 9.30 am. and 1 pm.

Various Bachmann 5 Plank Wagons Normally £13,95 This Saturday at 9.30 a.m any 2 for £13.95,

First Edition 00 Scale Buses, Wolverhampton Corporation  Normally £19.99 This Saturday at 9.30 a.m 2 for £19.99. 

Hornby Skaledale Selected Buildings at £24.99 This Sat. at 9.30 am. any 2 for £24.99.

Various Graham Farish N Gauge Brake Vans £19.95 This Sat. at 9.30 am. Any 2 for £19.95.

Hornby Coaches New Unboxed LMS & Eastern Region Normally £35.99 This Sat at 1 pm. any 2 for £35.99.

Bachmann Scenecraft Resin 00 Buildings Low Relief £24.95 This Saturday at 1 pm. any 2 for £24.95.

Hornby Track R609 & R607 Curves Normally £2.99 Sale Price £1.49 This Sat at 1 p.m. any 2 for £1.49

http://www.aoakesmodeltrains.co.uk/

This seems remarkable cheap.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/164390/Hornby_R3491_Class_42_Warship_D805_Benbow_in_BR_green/StockDetail.aspx

Is there something wrong with this model?

That's what I would call an honest model. As above, the ex-Lima body but with a better motor. Harking back to a simpler time, note the moulded handrails! Whilst some folk on RMWeb have an anxiety attack over the smallest detail missing or modelled incorrectly on the latest RTR, I see that Warship as potential to add your own mark without spending a fortune, be it a repaint, wire handrails or just adding some detail to a bufferbeam. With prices for new RTR locos what they are, and how high they're yet to go, £39 is most definitely a bargain!

• RMweb Gold

This seems remarkable cheap.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/164390/Hornby_R3491_Class_42_Warship_D805_Benbow_in_BR_green/StockDetail.aspx

Is there something wrong with this model?

The market is saturated with Warships... Trix, Fleischmann, Lima, Mainline and 2 different Bachmann toolings.

the price reflects Charles Darwin's theory, this ones closer to the bottom of the food chain.

However, price aside, theres nothing wrong with it, its the newer motor and has room to be customised...

The only caution I see is the body doesnt seem to be sitting flush to the chassis, and the front left buffer looks a bit "cut off" in the picture, but that could be the picture editing.

R6713A Hornby Ventilated Van Triple Pack in BR Bauxite livery for £21.99 (RRP £27.99) @Kernow. It's been on their website a while & some people may not have seen it. Seems like a good buy @ £7.33 a wagon!

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51044/R6713A-Hornby-Ventilated-Van-Triple-Pack-in-BR-Bauxite-livery

• RMweb Gold

I think the Hatton's Warship is good for the money, but needs a little work with detailing and flush glazing to bring it up to a standard comparable with the Bachmann competition.  You have to cost the work and your labour, then factor in the satisfaction or otherwise of 'doing it yourself' to determine whether or not you agree with me.  I cost my labour to myself at £10 an hour when I make these somewhat spurious calculations, but a skilled modeller doing it for you professionally will, rightly, charge a lot more than that!

In spite of an increasing tendency to box opening in my dotage, I like to have a bit of modelling to do, and have a variety of tasks varying in time and complexity to suit the time available and my mood, from major projects to 'potching' tasks that can be fitted in between trains when I am having a timetable running session.  What I don't like doing is work that has been made deliberately complex and difficult by poor kit design, choice of materials, or bad planning on my part; it becomes onerous and a chore when that happens and I am less unwilling to pay for a model on which the work has been done for me, even when I've paid close to £70 for a Baccy autocoach and, on the journey home, found it on offer £15 cheaper in another shop (Antics Cardiff). Grrr... 

• RMweb Premium

I think the Hatton's Warship is good for the money, but needs a little work with detailing and flush glazing to bring it up to a standard comparable with the Bachmann competition.  You have to cost the work and your labour, then factor in the satisfaction or otherwise of 'doing it yourself' to determine whether or not you agree with me.  I cost my labour to myself at £10 an hour when I make these somewhat spurious calculations, but a skilled modeller doing it for you professionally will, rightly, charge a lot more than that!

But would you pay anyone to do that?

Spare time is worth £0/hour - that's why it's called spare time........

• RMweb Gold

But would you pay anyone to do that?

Spare time is worth £0/hour - that's why it's called spare time........

Spare time has to be paid for like everything else in some way, as you have to earn the money to do what you desire in your spare time by working, which itself limits your spare time and conveys a scarcity value to it.  My spare time is worth £0/hour, or perhaps less to you or anyone other than me, but to me it is priceless.  Which is why I value it at £10/hour when I am buying kits or considering scratchbuilding.

Whether I would pay anyone to professionally model for me (not talking about the photographic type here before anyone jumps in, you know what I mean) would depend on the outcome of a personal calculation involving my own limited modelling ability, the time I had available for the project, and how much cash I had to spare, but, yes, I can envisage situations in which I would pay for professional modelling.  Not as things stand at present, but if I won the lottery or something.  I am about to retire, which means I probably only have about 30 years tops before I cash in my chips and head for the great mileage siding in the sky, so my time is not a limitless resource; nor is my money!  

• RMweb Gold

I have some spare time, and money, by means of my pension and a wife who earns enough to support me in the lifestyle to which I've grown accustomed. I can't recommend such a situation enough.

Are you suggesting your wife was a bargain?

• RMweb Gold

anyone after the Bachmann LMS liveried Crab?

the price has tumbled and now Track Shack are selling at £107.83

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Bachmann-32-178A-LMS-Crab-13174-LMS-Lined-Black-Bachmann-32-178A.html

and that includes free next day delivery.

I should have waited a bit longer and snapped one up at this price! Oh well. Nice loco.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Our local Tesco had this Christmas ale on offer this morning, 50p a bottle, 275ml, 3.2%, worth it for the handy storage tube, great for nails, screws etc

5D97041C-E5B1-4347-AB09-D70C3FF21761.jpg

Dunno what the ale is like as it's a bit too early in the day to try it yet!

EACB05F5-5BE4-442F-9CB0-B71AD85EFDA6.jpg

Archived