Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Gold

Have asked Olivia's about a refund and they say I should have know by the numbers quoted, that they would have old brown wheels.

Not sure how I would find this out but now feeling a bit cheated. Should have listened to the earlier warning.

Won't be ever buying anything from them again and will be letting our Club members know what has happened.

Dave.

what, bad customer service from olivia's, surely not!

can trading standards do anything regards them being advertised as new when they are obviously not?

so as not to clog up this thread with the issue how about putting a warning in the olivias thread so no one else gets caught out

anyway back to the bargains, ive got a NEW renault laguna for sale, only 100k on the clock, bought direct from renault, its on 05 reg, brand new otherwise

:offtopic: They could be 'New' as in unused, but old stock which is a different to 'current'.

For instance, I have some new cylinder liners for a bus engine which went out of production a long time ago, but they are still new as in unused.

Yes I know this isn't a bargain in the sense of this thread unless someone wants them that is, so I expect the vigilantes to be on my case soon. PM me if more info needed, about the liners that is :)

what, bad customer service from olivia's, surely not!

can trading standards do anything regards them being advertised as new when they are obviously not?

so as not to clog up this thread with the issue how about putting a warning in the olivias thread so no one else gets caught out

anyway back to the bargains, ive got a NEW renault laguna for sale, only 100k on the clock, bought direct from renault, its on 05 reg, brand new otherwise

If something is advertised as 'brand new' and is in fact a used reconditioned/refurbished returned model then that's not as described. Trading standards might be very interested

Knowing Olivias reputation for service I'm not surprised

Have asked Olivia's about a refund and they say I should have know by the numbers quoted, that they would have old brown wheels.

Not sure how I would find this out but now feeling a bit cheated. Should have listened to the earlier warning.

Won't be ever buying anything from them again and will be letting our Club members know what has happened.

Dave.

on thinking about it, they were advertised as being dispatched in the boxes with references 4700-4747 or whatever it was ... there was no suggestion that the chassis were from those models or indeed that they would have been possibly 10+ years old. When were those original Heljan Class 47s released, it must have been years ago now.

Dave.

Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations you have the right to cancel the order within 14 days of receiving the goods.

Thankfully I paid for my 1 off 47 example via PayPal -  so I'll await to see first what actually arrives..........another give away to their age etc, are the bogie side frames, on the very first releases (2002-3 )? they were recessed too far under the chassis/body edge, later models had extended locating spigots to place them further out.   

Edit:  The 47 chassis arrived today. It looks new and unused, has the early blackened brass wheels, later extended bogie side frames, early style water tanks - these are now quite rare, It runs reasonably well straight out of the box, although cleaning the wheel treads and backs should improve it.  Of note - a trial fitted bodyshell was a TIGHT fit !!  

:offtopic: They could be 'New' as in unused, but old stock which is a different to 'current'.

For instance, I have some new cylinder liners for a bus engine which went out of production a long time ago, but they are still new as in unused.

Yes I know this isn't a bargain in the sense of this thread unless someone wants them that is, so I expect the vigilantes to be on my case soon. PM me if more info needed, about the liners that is :)

commonly known as NOS (New old stock). When messing around with old vehicles/motorbikes.

just be thankfull that they dont cost the same, as a NOS front mudgaurd

for a Yamaha fizzy.

1 sold this month on ebay for £ 920.

and yes, there is no decimal dot .

• RMweb Gold

Dave.

Well yes I was disappointed with the wheelsets, from the "brand new" description I don't think it was unreasonable to expect chassis from recent release models. However, Hymek chassis are very difficult to find secondhand (first I've seen for years), and I'm relatively happy with them at the price. I of course intend to rewheel them, but Howes currently out of stock.

Neil

Commonly referred to as "Distance Selling Regulations".

The Consumer Contracts Regulations replaced the Distance Selling Regulations on 13 June 2014 (keep up at the back there!)  The CCR increased the statutory cooling-off period (for physical goods) to 14 days from receipt of the goods, up from 7 under the DSR.

Dave.

What an absolutely disgraceful attitude. They lead you to believe the item is new and then when you find out it isn't the spec you expected you are blamed by them for their lack of transparency. I for one wouldn't buy as much as a single fishplate from them. The whole class 76 rip off price issue made it clear to me the attitude of this company to its customers, somewhat akin to how a shark sees a nice juicy herring.

What an absolutely disgraceful attitude. They lead you to believe the item is new and then when you find out it isn't the spec you expected you are blamed by them for their lack of transparency. I for one wouldn't buy as much as a single fishplate from them. The whole class 76 rip off price issue made it clear to me the attitude of this company to its customers, somewhat akin to how a shark sees a nice juicy herring.

And they know where they can keep that Fishplate too  :onthequiet:

Been to Modellers Mecca today and they have four cages in the middle of the shop full of rolling stock and buildings at bargain prices.

Noticed they have some Bachmann coaches for under £19.

On the web they still have some items at half price. http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/199-half-price-sale?n=50&id_category=199

They are still doing there loyalty cards once you receive six stamps you get £10 off you next purchase.

They also pointed out that they are not closing down and have just been going through a restructure.

I know it hully cheeses off many when Bargain Hunters goes off topic, but it never occurred to me there was a specific Olivia's thread!

Is it locked often, or like a cockroach, Mr. York shuts it down only for it to reinvent itself?

I'm not saying I've issues with the Sheffield vendor, actually I lie, I've totally got issues. "As new" Bachmann K3 my ar§£. Like it's factory applied tyre crud...

C6T.

For anyone looking to pick up a cheap Claud, Rails have got some surplus R3234's with early crest brand new on their eBay shop available for only £79.50 plus p+p. I just purchased one myself at that price considering they were in excess of £100 when released, but there's only two left so be quick! R3235 with the early BR lettering is available for just £69.50! And for any of you that actively like to support smaller shops, the same model is available on the Scograil website for £69.99. 

• RMweb Gold

Well yes I was disappointed with the wheelsets, from the "brand new" description I don't think it was unreasonable to expect chassis from recent release models. However, Hymek chassis are very difficult to find secondhand (first I've seen for years), and I'm relatively happy with them at the price. I of course intend to rewheel them, but Howes currently out of stock.

Neil

When I went in earlier this week, there was a s/h Hymek in our local Retro Market - somewhere in the mid- £20s I think. It was reduced to half-price recently. I have no idea what it is like mechanically and that's one of the issues buying things in a general antiques market. The proprietor minds the stock for a dozen or more sellers. There are quite a few railway items in there at present, from two or three sellers. One clearly checks Ebay prices as he/she has a boxed as new Southern 2-BIL at £115 (iirc) and a Lord of the Isles set at £140 or £150. But another has several s/h diesels at much lower prices.

Thankfully I paid for my 1 off 47 example via PayPal -  so I'll await to see first what actually arrives..........another give away to their age etc, are the bogie side frames, on the very first releases (2002-3 )? they were recessed too far under the chassis/body edge, later models had extended locating spigots to place them further out.   

Edit:  The 47 chassis arrived today. It looks new and unused, has the early blackened brass wheels, later extended bogie side frames, early style water tanks - these are now quite rare, It runs reasonably well straight out of the box, although cleaning the wheel treads and backs should improve it.  Of note - a trial fitted bodyshell was a TIGHT fit !!  

Some of these early ones were tight. If you look along the long side there is something akin to a seam that looks a bit like a weld and sticks out. I suggest you file it gently to be flat which should help the fit. As far as the blackened wheels go, if cleaned a few times you get to the underlying metal and then they are fine and stop corroding, a bit of a pain but it works.

None of this excuses the underlying issue of concern about the supplier and their presentation.

John.

I will say in defence of Olivia's here that I have 3 of the chassis sat in front of me, and none have ever been used, as getting the bodies on/off leaves marks on the metal block. I think the only running these have had would have been the test they had in the shop. I spoke to the staff when I bought them, and these are the stock Heljan had left. They are brand new, from the warehouse. As to the issue of the wheels, when was the last run of the Heljan class 47? Over the years, including the ones I've bought for spares, I've had 11 different ones and none of the ones I've had have had the new wheels.

I know the price Olivia's charge are on the high side, but no one is forcing you to buy. And as to customer service, I have never had any problems with them.

Oh! Sorry I thought this was about finding a bargain thread, must be in the wrong place ?

If that has been triggered by my post #4502, then somewhat mean spirited and unnecessary.

Had I launched into a long passage, then yes, perhaps post elsewhere. Trying to be helpful, and thereby remedying the purchases into a bargain doesn't deserve sarcasm.

John.

Archived