Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

I've also posted in the London underground section of the forum, but thought I'd mention here as well, (its a bargain if you're into that kind of thing) Clintons Cards in Cheltenham (and I'd assume other branches as well) have Vintage looking tube map prints for 99p. (I'm assuming vintage as the Central line on this goes as far as Ongar?)

Sold as a fancy wrapping paper but printed on fairly heavy paper, measures 50x70cm and as the attached pic shows, looks pretty good in a poster frame :-)

post-11486-0-45687900-1442307120_thumb.jpg

The Midland Railway Society has purchased the entire stock of unsold copies of Wild Swan's "Midland Record" which is a treasure trove of information for the modeller of the pre-grouping scene.

The Society is offering remaining stocks of the books at half cover price to non-members (plus carriage). These are brand new copies and not seconds.

Many issues are available though not all but the later editions are in good supply.

If anyone is interested, please send me a private message with your requirements and I'll see what we can do.
(sadly, the highly sought after 'preview' issue is not available!)

Midland-Record-Advert.jpg

A nice brandnew Class 37 in Railfreight Grey/Yellow anyone...? With sound for just 179 Euro's!

http://www.pierredominique.com/art-48134-locomotive-diesel-classe-37693-railfreight-dcc-sound.html

Not always easy to say if it is in stock, but worth a try.

Greez

Simon

Possibly not too much of a bargain one you get one posted and it could be one of the new Cheap Sound versions.

Dave

I once bought an Atlas "special price" model and had no further pestering from them other than emails with other offers. As I wasn't interested in them I simply deleted from my mail box. After a while they stopped sending stuff. No hassle really, but remember with any offers from a commercial company they have to make money somewhere so it is only to be expected. I never found them to be pushy or annoying. Just before Christmas ebay will have lots of these bargains at something like their rrp.

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't ordering this commit you to a year's subscription of fixed new releases at rather more eye-watering prices, though?

In an attempt to forestall a set of barely-on-topic posts:

If you search for "Atlas Editions" on these forums you'll find plenty of discussion.

Quick summary: Some people say they paid for the first one, cancelled the rest, and had no problems. 

Some people say they tried to cancel and had things still sent to them and it generally caused a lot of bother.

I suspect the people who had problems are in the minority, but it's rather hard to know.

My one experience (Blackpool tram) was fine.

• RMweb Premium

Newcastle RMwebbers, I was in Fenwicks this morning and they have these teak carriages reduced from £50 to £30 (I'm not a passenger person so don't know how much of a bargain they are). There were only a couple left.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150917_115618_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150917_115634.jpg

A typically good price from Fenwicks

I've had plenty from there at great discounts, which considering they are a Hornby Concession is rather useful.

Keith

Possibly not too much of a bargain one you get one posted and it could be one of the new Cheap Sound versions.

Dave

As far as I know the cheap sounds are only in large logo 37418 as part of a set. If this is brand new with correct chassis this will be full spec sound but fairly old stock by now ( I would guess at least 5 years old). Agree on postage tho - could be pricey...

Newcastle RMwebbers, I was in Fenwicks this morning and they have these teak carriages reduced from £50 to £30 (I'm not a passenger person so don't know how much of a bargain they are). There were only a couple left.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150917_115618_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150917_115634.jpg

They have been just £25 a throw at Locomotion Models for a while

CoY

• RMweb Premium

I've had no problems with Atlas editions. I have bought only the initial model on several occasions and then cancelled them without any problems. The only thing is to make sure you tick the right boxes and if I do not intend to continue I pay by cheque. I have now started the 'World of Stobart' collection and was pleasantly surprised to receive a further discount on the prices charged, something that does not seem to be publicised.

As far as I know the cheap sounds are only in large logo 37418 as part of a set. If this is brand new with correct chassis this will be full spec sound but fairly old stock by now ( I would guess at least 5 years old). Agree on postage tho - could be pricey...

The sound chip is a Loksound v3.5 rather than the current v4.  Plus the SWD sound file is terrible.  Howes will reblow a v3.5, others will not as their fancy sound files are geared towards v4 chips.

It is also modelled with the wrong nose ends for 37693, as 693 had the WR style headboard clips. In this guise it is suitable for 37697/698 or 37699. With the addition af a red stripe: 37671 or 37678.

dave

A typically good price from Fenwicks

I've had plenty from there at great discounts, which considering they are a Hornby Concession is rather useful.

Keith

Beales in Bolton (also a concession) has the same offer and has five different Teaks on offer. 10% discount is also available on top of the discount already on the price label if you have a loyalty card.

• RMweb Gold

Cheap books saga.

He doesn't have a list, and there are around 50 titles on display, to many for me to mention,

Very little for the modern image follower, I bought . Paul Shannon .bulk freight since 1968. For £5. RRP £17.99

And classic diesels in colour, roger siviter arps again £5 RRP £19.99

Lots for southern steam followers, and loads of forgotten branch line titles.

Really more for general steam interests than specifics.

Sorry can't be of more assistance.

Paul.

Cheap books saga.

He doesn't have a list, and there are around 50 titles on display, to many for me to mention,

Very little for the modern image follower, I bought . Paul Shannon .bulk freight since 1968. For £5. RRP £17.99

And classic diesels in colour, roger siviter arps again £5 RRP £19.99

Lots for southern steam followers, and loads of forgotten branch line titles.

Really more for general steam interests than specifics.

Sorry can't be of more assistance.

Paul.

Went to Penarth today, on the way to meeting a friend in Cardiff. Although, they no longer apeared to have the titles you mentioned, they did have a fantastic collection of books, especially those relating to steam in the sixties in full colour. I bought as many as could carry and will revisit next month. They are considering, doing this twice a year as the last two autumn sales have been very successful.

Best of all they are only a couple of minutes walk from Penarth Sta and are really pleasant to deal with :-).

Cheers, Aidan.

• RMweb Gold

The Works in Sauchiehall St Glasgow has 'British Railway Pictorial; Scottish Region 1948-1967' (Brian J.Dickson, Ian Allan 2006) for £4. Although a bit before my time, well worth buying at that price.

prices must vary stone to store as that was £10 in crewe

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have reduced two of the Heljan diesel parcel units to £52.

I had to buy one at that price.

Andy

Blue Ones though :cry: :cry: :cry:

Never Green ones, or if they are then it's almost always Early Crest :sad_mini2: :sad_mini2:

37 418 ex The Highlander Train Set does not have a "cheap" sound file, the sound decoder fitted being a 21pin  Loksound SELECT, the actual sound file is more or less identical to other standard Bachmann 37's fitted with a Loksound V4.0

The main difference being, the SELECT cannot be re-blown with an alternative sound file, unlike a V4.0

R/F 37 693 being an earlier release is fitted with a Loksound V3.5

Archived