Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Great blog the pictures of the progress of the layout look very good. I was interested in the pic's of Eastleigh my mate and I used to go there a lot of an evening when we lived down south but he has since moved to Stockport Manchester and I have moved to Burton on Trent Derbyshire where freight used to be good but has now gone to almost nothing. One of my next projects is another freight yard but as I now have only 9ft x 7 ft it will be just a yard, like my Kingsmill layout in the Galleries section. Good luck and keep us all posted

Thanks Andrew, I saw Kingsmill in one of the mags, I did like the look of it. Eastleigh is not as busy as it used to be but is still worth a trip out once a week (when I can)

Progress is going slowly at the moment, I am trying to get a full circuit in so that I can get some trains running, and to keep my young lad happy as he is getting bored shunting backwards and forwards.

I have decided to put a cement works on the layout too, situated on the extension, sticking out into the room. I am doing research at the moment trying to work out what I need. Its going to produce cement in bags and bulk powder so a loading bay and silo is on the list.

Next update I will hopefully have some photos...

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

I have decided to put a cement works on the layout too, situated on the extension, sticking out into the room. I am doing research at the moment trying to work out what I need. Its going to produce cement in bags and bulk powder so a loading bay and silo is on the list.

Scott

Walthers do a cement works in their US range which is pretty close to the one at Westbury, I've got a few pics inside Westbury from a visit a few years ago somewhere I'll have a look and see if they would help.

Hi Scott,

All the best with this layout, what are we up to now it must be at least version 3.laugh.gif wink.gif Seriously this sounds good, any track plan? Cement works is a nice idea, the one at Westbury has a regular coal train. Last time I spent any time there a 33/1 was being used to trip a rake of HEAs there.

I am pretty sure Chris Nevards Cement Quay uses the Walthers kit that PaulRhB mentioned.

Cheers Peter.

Paul, I will have a look for the walthers kit, I did start building a rail mail terminal but was looking to see if I could adapt it to suit my needs, but any photos of Westbury would be good, thanks.

Peter,

I know its a bit of a running joke now with my changes, but I have started ballasting so there is no going back now! (possibly) ;)

As for the coal train, I have read a couple of comments about it but didn't know what used to haul it. Thankfully I have a 33/1 and a couple of HEA'S, might need to get a few more.

Cheers

Scott

Peter,

I know its a bit of a running joke now with my changes, but I have started ballasting so there is no going back now! (possibly) wink.gif

As for the coal train, I have read a couple of comments about it but didn't know what used to haul it. Thankfully I have a 33/1 and a couple of HEA'S, might need to get a few more.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

As long as you are happy with it, it doesn't really matter how many times you start as long as you get what you want in the end. I have just been relaying some track and rewiring part of my extension as I wasn't happy with it.biggrin.gif

I think the coal and cement was often a class 08 but for a while during the 90s there were a couple of 33s outbased at Westbury for working local trips. There are some nice pics of Westbury in a book called 'BR Blue No 2' 'Western Region South and West' by John Dedman published by Kevin Robertson. One pic shows an 08 pulling in some HAAs in from the cement termial. I should also admit to knowing John but I am not on the payrol.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Its funny you mention that book, I was looking at it on ebay yesterday, its gone now but I will try and look for another one.

Incidently, I have been trying to track down a stockist for the cement terminal but no luck yet, MG Sharp had every kit except this one. I shall keep hunting.

Cheers

Hi Scott, like your ( latest) plan..Ive been mucking about with ideas for a small layout for a while and had laid some track and built some buildings ect but.. bored now ! ... i`m sure I will get back to it during the winter months..getting back to your cement works( Westbury) idea heres an 08 at WY with some MGRs which used to come down from the midlands??I saw a 58 once on MGRs..this back in 86 so not sure if ran into 90s...keep up the good work cheers YVM.

post-6833-128058503511_thumb.jpg

Afternoon,

I have managed to get the first loop in and wired, so now I can have something running whilst I work on the rest of the layout.

I also managed to track down something for the cement works and have ordered that, so things are looking positive at the moment.

Just need to find the time to crack on with it. Work is getting in the way at the moment.

Cheers

scott

'Work is getting in the way at the moment.'

And you love it !!! ;-)

Good progress Scott, have been keeping my eye on it. What have you tracked down for the cement works? or is it a secret!

Hope you are all well.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul, Good to hear from you. No secrets, the kit is a cornerstone "medusa" cement works. Not quite the one I was looking for but I'm sure it will come in handy, even if I have to bash it around a bit... I previously mentioned a Royal Mail terminal I was building, this is no longer happening, the structure is now going to form part of the cement works. The platform will become the loading bay for bagged cement and the main building will house the coal unloading point/ kiln etc... The building is low relief so in "Scotts world" the building goes back a fair distance and it contains all the necessary gubbings to make cement! There will be silos a chimney and loading area aswell so I hope I can get it to look reasonably ok. Ideally Chris Nevard will do a surprise visit at mine, leaving cement quay on my doorstep but somehow I think it will be down to me to build my own. ;)

Hows your layout going by the way??

Cheers Lewis, I hope to get a few more images on soon, still struggling to tidy up at the moment though...

Scott

I got home from work this evening to find that the postie had been, so it was time to build a kit, obviously once dinner bath and bed time for the kids was out the way.

I was actually given permission to build in at the dining room table too, so that was a result.

I have hastily placed on the layout to give an idea as to how I wan't it, the photos were just as quick. As you can see nothing is fixed down. It will have two freight options, bags of cement from the loading bay or bulk loads into pca's from the silos.

The silos will be connected by some sort of enclosed conveyor. There will also be a line into the large structure (not finished yet) which will serve as a coal unloading point.

Thanks for looking.

post-6849-128096047114_thumb.jpg

post-6849-128096049133_thumb.jpg

post-6849-128096050656_thumb.jpg

Hi Jamie, sorry for the delay in replying, thankfully Big Bob came to the rescue.. It is a Walthers/cornerstone "Medusa" kit. I'm at work at the moment so can't measure them but they are approx 12 inches from memory. I will get a true size for you tomorrow.

Cheers

Scott

Cheers Andy, glad its given you an idea or two, mine are not in their final resting place yet, i'm still playing around with them. At the same time as trying to get the main boards sorted aswell.

Having problems with the scenics at the moment. Trying to sort out the backscene. I have some photo ones from gaugemaster, but I have been reading the backscene thread and now I'm not sure. I need a good source of quality trees at a reasonable price as they will run along the back.

So much to do an dso little time...

I will try and get some photos uploaded soon but it won't be pretty.

Cheers

Scott

I used Forest in a Box trees duncked in PVA and Woodlands scatter sprinkeled over, see Kingsmill in galleries. Andy.

Thanks Andy, someone else has mentioned the same method but with rubberised horse hair, so I think I will try both options and see how I get on.

---------------------------------------

Ive started the ballasting today, all went well apart from the syringe sticking at one point and then when it unstuck it shot the glue into the ballast causing a rather large crater. :lol:

Back to work again tonight so only limited time for trains...

scott

• RMweb Gold

Distinct flavour of the old Hamworthy terminal there to Scott. Nice big building which makes it look far more realistic.

I think I've identified the real problem with you and layout design, you suffer from too many good ideas, it's been a shame to see the end of a couple of the previous layout ideas but I've liked the replacements too. If you have another good idea can I make a suggestion . . .

well I'm going to any way laugh.gif

How about building a second deck 18 inches above and building the next one on top? That way you can play with two . . .

Currently I have one pretty well finished layout, one ready to start and one pretty much at the final planning stage. Decisions decisions.

HI PaulRhb,

Thanks for your comments, I like the idea of building above! I really should sort out the ground floor first though. I could have a helix upto the next level.. Hmmmmm

I will also see if I can find some photos of the old Hamworthy terminal.

By the way, I sold my china clay bullets... I need to get cement wagons, its just a shame the new Bachmann one are too modern for mine now. Although I was considering two era's. You're right decisions decisions..

• RMweb Premium

I dunno, I turn me back for three weeks and another layout appears!!laugh.gif

Looking good Scott liking the new ideas, but we'll have to get a date in the diary so I can see this one before you start againwink.gif .

By the way you can borrow my 7 HEAs until you get some yourself if you like.

Welcome back Ian, hope you had a good break.

Ive started ballasting so this one is staying! for the time being :D

Thanks for the offer of the HEA's, I might take you up on that but at the moment I'm planning on getting the main board done first and then onto the cement works.

I've been shafted at work for this month so dont think a session will be on the cards until September unfortunately.

Speak soon

Scott

Archived