Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Thanks Grimleygrid, I need a few more ARC wagons, only got 9 at the moment, I need to double that at least..

I want to get a 56 in construction sub sector too. Oh I could go on and on.

Cheers

scott

Hi Scott, I remember going out from Paddington to Reading and seeing Grids working to/from Acton with the tipplers and PGAs (the four wheeled ones). Superb.

When it comes out, Hornby’s 56040 will be right up your street!

A nice construction Grid will look superb on 18 odd wagons, I look forward to seeing that.

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?!!!

http://bobfostersrai.../p57041776.html

That is the problem isn’t it, you start thinking of what stock you need for the layout, then what you would like for the layout and before you know it you need to win the lottery to buy it all!!

Can you imagine what you could buy if you did? I know what I would be buying……..

For some reason Grimleygrid I cant open that link, I will try it again later.

Ive just started collecting some Yeoman PGA's, 7 at the moment and hopefully expanding. You are right though, once I start planning ahead, my stock list grows and grows. I really need to finish off the fiddle yard, ballasting and scenics but its easier to buy stock rather than to do the scenics...

Especially when I have 6 lates shifts starting from tomorrow and internet access at work... Its not a good combination. And yes I do know what I would get if I won the lottery biug style. Having visited Longleat safari park today we got haulage behind a nice little blue diesel. I want one!

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, not sure why but the link didn’t work for me either?!!

Try these:

http://bobfostersrai.../p56656714.html

http://bobfostersrai.../p57041776.html

Some really nice shots of Grids on there including some others in the class 56 section towards the bottom which may be of interest to you:

http://bobfostersrai...t/c1642896.html

It certainly is, although the weathering after buying is not easier!

I look forward to seeing more photos, especially of Grids in action!

Do you have a big enough garden to run your new blue diesel?!!

This time the links worked, they are just what I have been looking for. Really appreciate them as my search's failed me. Obviously looking in the wrong place.

Good to see that I can run with 10 ARC wagons on one of the services.

I would like to see if I can detail the wagons aswell, not sure what needs to be done or how but feel they need something.. AS well as weathering...

And no my garden isnt big enough at the moment but as I will only get the diesel if I win the lottery I will be able to take the garden into account when I buy my mansion...

Cheers

Scott

Once again, not much of an update, Ive just finished 6 late shifts, so I'm a bit tired. I haven't been able to put any time into trains this week, but I did have something arrive in the post today. Its a couple of Dapol 56's. My plan is to weather them up a bit and make them dummy locos so they can be dragged around the layout or just dumped in a siding somewhere.

Its funny, I had a read through this thread whilst bored at work, and the track plan is almost the same as what my original plan was going to be.. (on the main board that is)

That proves to me one of two things. Firstly I have no imagination or secondly despite the changes over the months the first one was the one I liked after all. I can only equate it to certainly my fiancee's style of shopping. First shop "I really like that outfit" followed by "but there may be something nicer so I will look around first" followed in about 3 hours by "You know, I really like the one I saw in the first shop, I'll get that".

I'm sure others can relate to that...

Here are a couple of photos of one of the new arrivals, 56001 just arriving with the empties, laying over for the night before going onto Whatley quarry in the morning.

post-6849-128269325304_thumb.jpgpost-6849-128269326704_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium
the track plan is almost the same as what my original plan was going to be..

I think I said that in a PM didn't I?......wink.gif

my fiancee's style of shopping

I'm pretty sure you'll find its not exclusive to her, we've all been there and done that with the missus!rolleyes.gif

I've not had much railway time myself since I got back apart from the track cleaning, been catching up at work decorating the 'smallest room' and we are away again this weekend to Centreparcs. Hope to get some more me time next week. The backscene looks good by the way where did that come from? Do the Dapol 56s not work then?

To answer your first comment, yes you did mention it in the PM, which is one of the reasons I looked back, I didn't realise how similar it was! :lol:

Tha backscene is a gaugemaster one, its ok but I think most of it will be hidden from view by trees, as there is too much grass in view.

And the Dapol twins are runners, I just wasn't sure how easy/difficult it would be to make them DCC with the lighting... I shall look into it. I thought the easier option would be to dump them in a siding. ;)

Hope the weather dry's out for you at the weekend, I of course am working lates again!!!!!!!

After yout visit to Eastleigh are you going to get a platform 5 book???

Cheers

Scott

I'm pretty sure you'll find its not exclusive to her, we've all been there and done that with the missus!rolleyes.gif

TBH, seeing something nice in one shop, visiting a bunch of others and then deciding to go back and get the first one isn't all that bad, and is a logical (if potentially slow) way to shop. The only real pitfall is if things are selling fast and stock is limited, it might be gone when you get back.

In my experience, there are two particular bad shopping traits that are far more dangerous:

* Buying unrelated stuff you didn't need in each shop visited.

* Buying that first one on sight, and then continuing to look in other shops, ultimately resulting in the purchase of several similar but slightly different items, some of which may not be used.

Ebay in particular seems to encourage the latter - put a bid in on a number of similar models, thinking "I'm bound to get one of them", and find you've been outbid on all the important ones, but ended up with several of the lesser ones all at the same time...

Feeling rather pleased with myself tonight, now I know its not much of an achievment but it is for me! I have hard wired a DCC decoder to both of my Dapol class 56's. I have to thank Bromsgrove Models for their helpful "how to" sheet.

The one thing that it doesnt show is how to do the lights, witha suggestion that they use Express models light kits. I'm just not sure if its worth the money for two old locos.. I need to try and find out how to wire up the current bulbs I think. I know it involves the yellow white and blue wires from the decoder, and thats as far as my knowledge goes. :rolleyes:

Both locos have been given some WD-40 Treatment and have been buzzing around the track for the last hour.

I have also put another line in on the fiddle yard, but I need to get a another point before I can complete all the roads for the main lines. 24 hour model shops, now there is an idea!

Back on lates now for the next 5 days so I expect the modelling will suffer, if only I could take some stock into work. I could get on with the weathering.

Thanks for looking

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update:

Whats changed?? I hear you groan. :lol:

There has been a slight change, the cement works is still going ahead, its just moved to where the stabling point was. The stabling point is moving around to the island extention. It will now become more of a depot than a stabling point. I think my trip to Toton last week has pushed me into this. Obviously it wont be like that because that is a crazy idea. Surely nobody would attempt that??? Eh GrimlyGrid!

I have completed a bit more ballasting, had aproblem with one of the points so that had to come up and I replaced the point motor. It seems to work ok now.

No new stock has arrived recently. I have been tempted with lots of things but can't justify it at the moment. Although I am going to the Woking show tomorrow so I'm sure I won't return home empty handed. What I would like is a class 60 in construction sub sector.

I have attached a few photos of the now moved cement silos, its not fixed down at the moment, got to paint the hard standing and scenic the area first. It just gives an idea of how it will look. I'm also goingto try and weather it too.

Just for info, beyond the silos in the far corner will be the main building for the cement works, the silos will be fed by some kind of conveyor system crossing the lines.

The idea is also to have a quarry off scene where the loading of my various stone wagons takes place. There will be very limited passenger workings, other than diverted services or railtours. The outer loop will be mainly a freight only line which is bi-directional, however the freights will be able to use the loop to pass each other but I dont see it being a really busy line. The main focus will be the stone and cement traffic operating within the sidings and cement terminal area. On that, one of the sidings with the pit will be for minor wagon repairs and loading bagged cement, the other siding next to it will be a "cripple" siding/ general dumping ground.

Thats it for now, I hope some of you find it of interest, hopefully for those who aren't sure what they want in a layout you will realise you are not alone,as can be read here with my ever changing plans.

Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings.

EDIT- Forgot to mention. Tempted to go modern again! The new modern wagons coming out are great. the new monster boxes, falcons and jpa's would look at home on the layout. Just a thought :P

post-6849-004977800 1284142239_thumb.jpg

post-6849-053573600 1284142251_thumb.jpg

post-6849-025633800 1284142268_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott,

Love the latest pics the layout is certainly coming along well, I am hoping you are happy with things this is certainly the furthest you've got.:D I think the depot area will work well, Westbury had a fairly basic fuel point and small shed but plenty of room to stable loco's.

Hope you had a good time at Woking I would have gone myself if I was still in the UK as it's not to far from the old homestead.:)

I am worried about you changing back to more modern but I am sure in time you could do both.;) It is hard not to be tempted with all the new stuff. I bought a class 26 the other week not sure what I am going to with it, but I have always liked them.:rolleyes:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comments, I am happy with things at the moment, I seem to be spending most of thge time looking at cement works pictures, scratch building and general scenic stuff isnt my strong point so I'm not holding out much hope of a decent looking cement works! But I'm having fun so I guess thats the main thing.

I won 3 PCA'S on ebay yesterday so the first cement train working shouldn't be far off.. As for switching era, it won't happen yet, Ive been thinking about doing a separate portable "modern" layout but thats a long way off.

Woking was good, Vauxhall Road and Widnes were my favourites plus the Huge scale layout that PaulRHB was operating was also up there, until he told me how much the stock cost!!! :O

I did pick up a DVD from model structures in miniture www.m-s-i-m.co.uk, the title is Vintage series Wessex, the memories came flooding back, Eastleigh, Salisbury and Bmth in 1991.. Great stuff.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Well you can always play with other peoples trains ;) didn't seem so bad a couple of years back! Only needing a few short trains also helps. The cement works is looking good so far. If you decide tobuild a modern mini layout I'm sure Kevin, Ian etc could be persuaded to assist. I spent a lot of time watching Widnes and Vauxhall Rd too.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comments, I am happy with things at the moment, I seem to be spending most of thge time looking at cement works pictures, scratch building and general scenic stuff isnt my strong point so I'm not holding out much hope of a decent looking cement works! But I'm having fun so I guess thats the main thing.

I won 3 PCA'S on ebay yesterday so the first cement train working shouldn't be far off.. As for switching era, it won't happen yet, Ive been thinking about doing a separate portable "modern" layout but thats a long way off.

Woking was good, VAuhall Road and Widnes were my favourites plus the Huge scale layout that PaulRHB was operating was also up there, until he told me how much the stock cost!!! :O

I did pick up a DVD from model structures in miniture www.m-s-i-m.co.uk, the title is Vintage series Wessex, the memories came flooding back, Eastleigh, Salisbury and Bmth in 1991.. Great stuff.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

I find if I get stuck on an area, your cement works for example, I will go and do something else, another part of the layout or weather some stock or something. Then have a look at the cement works a week or so later with fresh eyes. I recently did this with the layout extension I am building. I wasn't happy with the oil terminal so decided to make it a coal yard. I still wasn't a 100% sure about it so I left the coal wagons in the yard and went of and did other things. Then one day I was moving the TTAs about and decided to have another go at doing the oil terminal with a slightly different track plan and it looked perfect. Only took me 12 months to get it right.:lol:

I have a coulpe of PCAs going spare if you are interested let me know, I will send you a pic of them.

Glad you had a goodly time at Woking any luck with getting a class 60?

The DVD sounds familar does it have a class 50 on ECS at Eastleigh and a night shot of the Meldon ballast doing a crew change in plat 1? It certainly bought back some momories for me.:D

Cheers Peter.

HI Peter,

I know what you mean about giving things a rest from time to time, however at the moment the cement works area is still going ok, no need just yet to move onto something else. Although there are plenty of things to do. I figure if I can get this corner done then I can move on to the next. But you know me, anything can change. :D

I have had no luck finding a suitable 60, ones I have seen seem to be going for sily money, so I will bide my time and hopefully one will appear in a too good to be true moment.

As for the PCA's, yes I would be interested if they are surplus to your requirements, I will PM you about them.

It sounds like you have seen the DVD, the scenes you mention do sound familiar. I think the last shot is of a double headed 33 on engineers stopping at Eastleigh. Didn't notice a crew change but then I was trying to entertain my kids too. One of whom who is 3 and knows the difference between a 66 and a 37! Although he isnt convinced when I tell him a 59 isnt a 66. :rolleyes:

Only an hour left at work then its home time...

Cheers

Scott

37408 has travelled across from Leaford after spending some time there, during which it has become dirtier, which enhances its appearance greatly. (thanks Kevin) As luck would have it the first 3 PCA's have also arrived behind the 37 on a trial run. Need a few more now.

The site surveyors and planning team have also been looking at the development of the area, hopefully new structures will start to appear soon.

Cheers

Scott

post-6849-041646600 1284550474_thumb.jpg

Ahh YVM, nice to hear from you.. Thanks for your comments, im quite happy with the way things are going, ive completly changed my angle and I'm looking at it as a cement works/quarry only. That way I don't keep spending money on stock that I will never use. The problem with the winter nights for me is that it gets a bit chilly in the garage.. Must get some heaters on timers..

Cheers

Scott

Afternoon,

I have made a bit more progress over the weekend, I have actually enjoyed doing some of the scenery. I thought I would have a go at making a cliff edge, considering this has become a bit of a quarry type layout.

It went ok for my first attempt at anything like this, I have also built a few more buildings to go in the cement complex. I have included a few pictures. The buildings are not in their final place, and the two large buildings either side of the main structure are temporary until more plasticard arrives.

But you get the idea.

Hopefully more updates to follow later on in the week.

Cheers

Scott

post-6849-039375900 1284913277_thumb.jpg

post-6849-065076900 1284913280_thumb.jpg

post-6849-060209100 1284913282_thumb.jpg

post-6849-027181700 1284913286_thumb.jpg

Archived