OO gauge Turbot

DapolDave

Mine turned up earlier today, initially on openeng they look good, however the opening doors are not hinged; see attached!

Turbot.JPG

Turbot door down.JPG

Turbot bogie.JPG

The specs never said hinged. It was always shown as removable doors.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing....looks stunning and miles ahead of the KMRC one in terms of detail and accuracy.

• RMweb Premium

Got my rake come through the post today also, had a chance to have a quick look at one, and agree with the general feeling in this thread, Dapol have released a beautiful model here, I'm very pleased.

When I get some time in the coming weeks, I might see about taking some brave pills and look to deform a couple of the doors out slightly, as was so common on the prototype.

• Like 1

Picked my 3 Dutch up from the post office this morning. Very nice indeed. One question.

4F-043-006 DB978702 features some very nice steps and handrails at the number panel corners, but should they be there?

Looked on Hattons, and it certainly is pictured with them on. But looking at the real thing, the only picture I can find is one in 1984 and it didn’t have steps or handrails back then. Were they added after 1984? Or were they never fitted while the Wagon was in Dutch livery?

Many thanks in anticipation.

There was a request for comparison photos of the Dapol and Kernow versions of this model, so here are some covering all aspects based on the 'Dutch' liveried version, the Dapol version is on the left in each picture. It is not a true comparison, as I have already carried out modifications to my Kernow models to rectify some design errors:

a) Gap between bogie upper surfaces and chassis reduced by about 1.5 mm, to reduce the excessive buffer height.

b) Side truss height reduced by about 2 mm.

Overall, to me, the Dapol model is more finely detailed on the sides, inside rendition and certainly the underframe detail is sublime. They have gone to the trouble of moulding the side truss steel work as 'L' bar rather than square section as modelled in the Kernow version. As the Dapol model has a metal chassis or floor, this has allowed them to recess the underfloor planking and represent the centre two chassis bars. I was worried that the removable side doors would mean there were non prototype gaps, but none of it and as yet I haven't sorted out how to remove the doors. The representation of the door springs is much finer than the Kernow version, both on the sides and on the underframe.

I've also measured the length of the side truss to the rail parallel section and it measures 9mm, the same as I achieved on my modifications to the Kernow model (these are detailed in the Kernow Turbot thread).

The Dapol model is narrower than the Kernow model and I don't know which is correct. Certainly the top reinforcement is thinner on the Dapol model, but that doesn't take account of all the difference, the inside measurement side to side is 1 mm narrower on the Dapol model.

There are two possible drawbacks with the Dapol model, the first is the long standard coupling length (they do provide permanent coupler bars as an alternative) and the other is the shade of yellow used on the Dutch livery. It is almost a chromatic yellow and noticeably yellower than the Kernow version and also the colour used by Bachmann and Hornby on their engineer wagons. 

post-13514-0-16408500-1547213011_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-66019200-1547213033_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-58542100-1547213050_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-59498700-1547213079_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-72094100-1547213099_thumb.jpg

Edited by rembrow

Shame its not a true comparison. Perhaps someone has a Kernow for comparison.

Fascinating how much difference there is with a wagon that is readily available for viewing and measuring - apparently up to 17 concerved according to the Vintage carriages site.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the livery, I agree the yellow is far too garish, but then I also felt that the colour application on the Grampus was ‘off’ too.

Fortunately these wagons came in multiple flavours of rust, dust, and general battle scaring that should tone that down nicely.

• RMweb Premium

Picked my 3 Dutch up from the post office this morning. Very nice indeed. One question.

4F-043-006 DB978702 features some very nice steps and handrails at the number panel corners, but should they be there?

Looked on Hattons, and it certainly is pictured with them on. But looking at the real thing, the only picture I can find is one in 1984 and it didn’t have steps or handrails back then. Were they added after 1984? Or were they never fitted while the Wagon was in Dutch livery?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Steps and handrails were fitted later in life. Early 1990s according to another forum.

Cheers,

Mick

Regarding the livery, I agree the yellow is far too garish, but then I also felt that the colour application on the Grampus was ‘off’ too.

Fortunately these wagons came in multiple flavours of rust, dust, and general battle scaring that should tone that down nicely.

post-33480-0-34696800-1547282515_thumb.jpeg Still a bit of work to but the yellow certainly tones down.

Ive got 5 Dapol Turbots heading mg way. Wonder if you could clarify are they are the Dapols or are the rear two Kernows? If they are all Dapol interested what ethos you've used. Thanks

They appear to all be the Dapol model, just picked a few up from Hattons and must say I am impressed with them. The underframe is especially well done.

The bar coupler brings them a lot closer too.

• RMweb Premium

I bought 2 Dutch Turbot's yesterday - apparently selling like hot cakes. In line with other comments they generally look excellent with very nice/fine under frame detail. Only 2 minor gripes, firstly is the colour - yellow too bright and to me the grey looks too dark, but both solved with some weathering. 

Also mentioned above the NEM socket seems to sit a little too forward. Fitted with No 18 Kadee's in unweathered photo and the gap is huge, better once I robbed some no 17's from elsewhere but still fairly large.

Overall though well done to Dapol, now just for a OO gauge07 series tamper to compact all that new ballast!

First picture the lefthand wagon is a Cambrian kit

post-21629-0-11345600-1547333056_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-27622100-1547333137_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-31663600-1547333114_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-59665700-1547333165_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-99594600-1547333379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Dutch turbot too today. Agree about the shade of yellow been way off the correct shade for Dutch livery. But otherwise it’s a lovely model.

My local shop said the EWS version is selling quicker than Dutch, which is a surprise.

The only issue some might have is the bogies. Anyone modelling in P4 or EM will have issues because there is virtually no clearance between the wheelset and side of the bogie frame.