Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

Luckily I've got this Crownline B17-B2 conversion kit stashed away from years ago so I was planning to make use of that for the cab and running plate conversion, but thought the cylinders and valve gear bits etc from an expired Replica B1 might come in handy if I can bring myself to chop up £100+ of Hornby loco! Tenders for B2s are a bit of a minefield though...

Chop a £74 bachy one instead that.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, perhaps there's been some OT drift here; I was thinking of chopping a B17 rather than a B1 to make a B2; of course for cheapness I could always go for a tender drive B17 as originally

intended!!

Chop a £74 bachy one instead that.

Which will give you the wrong loco: you need the 6ft 8in drivers and wheelbase of the B17 (Hornby B17 chassis), the 100A boiler, Thompson cab and Thompson front bogie of a B1 (Bachmann or forthcoming Hornby B1 body) and the standard 20x26in cylinders Thompson introduced and used on a variety of engines.

Either way to make a B2, you will need the 6ft 8in drivers and wheelbase of a B17 from somewhere.

If I was dependent on a 4mm scale B1 to get me to work, do the shopping, go to the tip and all the other indispensible aspects of modern life, I might think that a valid comparison. But thankfully I'm not.

In any case, I'd think that obtaining spares for cars as old as some of these B1s are nowadays is no easy task either.

Re oldies, had a problem with a chip couple days back in a loco. It decided to refuse to respond, replaced and OK. I purchased this loco thro an ad in Railway Modeller some 30 years back, ironic the seller was local.to me.. It was a Hornby Dublo 8F, still going strong, perhaps not the detail in comparison with todays offerings but DCC converted and still runs like a 'sewing machine', what price spares , quality against detail, ?. Beeman.

Edited by beeman

Sorry, perhaps there's been some OT drift here; I was thinking of chopping a B17 rather than a B1 to make a B2; of course for cheapness I could always go for a tender drive B17 as originally

intended!!

Which will give you the wrong loco: you need the 6ft 8in drivers and wheelbase of the B17 (Hornby B17 chassis), the 100A boiler, Thompson cab and Thompson front bogie of a B1 (Bachmann or forthcoming Hornby B1 body) and the standard 20x26in cylinders Thompson introduced and used on a variety of engines.

Either way to make a B2, you will need the 6ft 8in drivers and wheelbase of a B17 from somewhere.

Yes yes yes! I'm following you now! :scratchhead: :stinker: :lol:

Luckily I've got this Crownline B17-B2 conversion kit stashed away from years ago so I was planning to make use of that for the cab and running plate conversion, but thought the cylinders and valve gear bits etc from an expired Replica B1 might come in handy if I can bring myself to chop up £100+ of Hornby loco!

You can get spare B1 cylinders and motion from Replica Railways.

In terms of a boiler, yes you can ever-so-slightly shorten the old Hornby B17 one (I think you have to knock off about 3mm from the barrel) to simulate a 100A.

Bill Bedford also produced a rather nice 100A etched boiler (you need to roll it from the flat) when he offered a "part B1" etch set some years ago, and this included the cab and cab roof. I have one. Cost £13 back then. Might be worth asking him if he's still able to produce some more, perhaps?

Tenders for B2s are a bit of a minefield though...

DMR Models might be able to help you with that......or indeed an entire B2...

• RMweb Premium

Must admit I didn't realise the 100A boiler was shorter than the boliers which B17s normally carried; I think one of the many sub classes of B17 also had these boilers?

I was 'gifted' the Crownline conversion kit years ago and intended to use it on a tender drive B17 but would also have wanted a decent loco mechanism with the motor in the loco, which the new Hornby one promises to give us.

From what I recall, the only B2 which towed a Group Standard 4200 gall tender was 1671 'Royal Sovereign'; the others had modified ex NE tenders or ex P1 tenders I believe

One of these days I'll get round to it, hopefully when I come across a 'bargain' from Hattons, but what'll probably be the stumbling block will be the need to repaint the finished article in BR lined green!

Must admit I didn't realise the 100A boiler was shorter than the boliers which B17s normally carried....

The old Hornby B17 is a bit too long, by about 3mm. Put it alongside a Replica / Bachmann B1(100A) and you'll see what I mean. I took off the 3mm excess, and the result matches the Replica one quite well.

I was 'gifted' the Crownline conversion kit years ago.....

I picked up two unwanted kits. The first one was to do the Hornby B17-to-B1 conversion, discovering in the process that the front frame plates are the wrong shape for a "B1" - oddly enough, you need to use the "B2" ones which are much closer to the correct B1 shape.

The second one is to go with the Bill Bedford 100A boiler and cab etch, and hopefully to go on top of a Bradwell chassis eventually.

I like hybrids.

• Like 1

If thats what they are, but for all intents and purposes in model terms couldn't be that difficult seeing as Hornby will have both in their stable and look at the appeal to all those footie fans being able to have loco with their favorite team name on it, even the scouts could have one 61646 (Gilwell Park), footie no's from 61648

I did fit a Hornby B17 with a B12 tender powered by a Hornby Patriot tender drive and named it Gilwell Park but in the end Spurs took priority and I renamed it Tottenham Hotspur. The only footballer with a small tender.

Roger

Edited by Gilwell Park

From a completely leftfield aspect; who has considered the likelihood of a Thompson 01? In the mid 1940s they got to many corners of the system and in the BR era the frequented the GC and the Consett Ore trains.

Just a thought...

Dave.

Judging by the comments in the intervening fortnight, no-one!

I would have agreed with you Dave if I'd seen it! (Invisible ink? More like better reading glasses needed..!)

I still think despite the obvious regional superiority of the O1, a B2 will get the nod first. Just using all those common components from the two previous 4-6-0s - it's not like Hornby to pass up an opportunity to use older tooling (Clan from Brit, etc etc).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know out of interest if the B1 is due before Christmas? Not a criticism of Hornby...or a moaning post about how long to wait....genuine question, so I can tell my Dad to get me something else for Christmas ;)

Must say, the B1 has a lot of potential with different modifications...there were fair few different smoke box door designs wasn't there?

Edited by Tom F

Guest Max Stafford

I've seen nowt to indicate the B1's anywhere nearby Tom but I say that more out of hope, having just purchased a DLW and 3F!

Dave.

Only three smokebox door types. Two of them catered for in the Dave Bradwell all-sprung chassis kit. You're quite safe.

Cheers Horsetan, will have to have a badgers at that then :D unless Hornby get there first ;)

Does anyone know out of interest if the B1 is due before Christmas? Not a criticism of Hornby...or a moaning post about how long to wait....genuine question, so I can tell my Dad to get me something else for Christmas ;)

Must say, the B1 has a lot of potential with different modifications...there were fair few different smoke box door designs wasn't there?

I've been told due 5th December. Usual caveat exemptor

I've been told due 5th December. Usual caveat exemptor

May I enquire who told you, David? I was told by a nice lady on the Hornby stand at the Peterborough show that the D49 would be available this month but still no sign (a few days to go though).

Regards,

Brian.