Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Back to the SR 350hp 0-6-0DE today.

Looking good Michael and some useful tips in your comments but then thats what the test build is for I guess.

As you know, one for me please, I have to build 15201 before its too late!!.

Have a great Christmas and a healthy 2022 to you and yours.

Kind regards,

Richard B

On 19/12/2021 at 22:46, Michael Edge said:

Whatever you want, plenty of empty space in this - axles we be 1/8 in.

Thanks, that's good. My preferred is HighLevel with a flywheel on the extended motor shaft. So room for a decoder, stay alive and speaker - luxury!!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

Just to prove the 'odd' kit gets built and finished ...

Comments welcome ...

IMG_20220109_102809.jpg

Now you've gone and done it !!!

The kit in my hoard will start yelling at me whenever I go into the railway room!

CJI.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The SR 350hp is going very slow at the moment, one slight snag is that the Slater's OC axles are far too short. I've been looking at the Fell this week and that will have the same problem. I might have to get them to produce longer ones but at least I've found that wheels with the square brass inserts can be tapped 3BA to fit on these axles, which was news to David White.

I'm building a test etch 7mm Janus at the moment, photos on my workbench thread.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the total confusion in that last post, I have two 350hp kits in development at the moment and Steph's post led to to think about the GW/LMS twin motor 350 which is in 7mm, the SR one is of course 4mm so far. Both have axle related issues though, the comments about Slater's axle refer to the EE/HL one for GW and LMS, the Southern one was to have the excellent Markits axles and cranks as an option but in this case Markits wheels in EM gauge won't fit between the outside frames.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Talking of the "Fell" - here is one of Mikes etches that I'm CSB'ing 

Fell_3.jpg.5ae6679d4ec9857911dfe2e7ec35752f.jpg

High level Slimline 2mm hornblocks, Lanarkshire Models CSB pivots. 

Fell_4_CSB.jpg.4d457f4187b10f0e816d62357ed6c686.jpg

The CSB points where worked out using a CLAg excel sheet. I then transposed this points onto a scan of the drawings in Inkscape to make sure they did not interfere with the various spacers. Only one require some slots cutting for the CSB tags to have some upwards movement in them. 

Fell_5.jpg.8f527b61313453c460f87552a5d524d2.jpg 

Final product. Now need to install gearbox, outside frames etc. 

This was a Ebay find, that had a poorly built chassis that I striped down, cleaned up and started from scratch. The body has been stripped, as the detail etches had been glued on and the front cowlings poorly attached. Very enjoyable thus far. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jack P said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this contraption?

The Fell locomotive. A prototype loco trialled inthe UK.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Re the SR shunter.

ISTR (but can't find) a query on here about the low level cab windows.

For what it's worth, I reckon they weren't on the as built locomotives but were added some time later, don't know how much later, presumably after operating experience, (hopefully not resulting in injury to a member of staff).

My reasoning/evidence is, a, A drawing in the May 1976 edition of Model Railways of number 1 in Southern livery shows the curves in the cab end version, but no windows, and, b, I bought a scratchbuilt model of one of these many moons ago from an estate sale being run at an ExpoEM, and was told it had been built from the original works drawings, and it doesn't have the windows.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I only have one photo of one of the SR shunters without the low level back windows, No2 looking very new and clean. I have photos of all of them in two different Southern livery styles with the windows so I'm sure they were fitted very early on.

"Works drawings" in that example may well have been a weight diagram, ours has been done mainly from works detail drawings which Steph Dale dug out of the NRM archives. The drawings in that issue of Model Railways do contain a number of errors -although they looked very good at the time.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

A little progress with the Southern 350hp this week.

IMG_1066.jpg.914f7ff263a335f1f0f5a2d7289f5e72.jpg

More snags appeared though, the engine casing doors have separate locking handles top and bottom which came out so small on the etch they were unusable. I also don't think it's reall feasible to solder these on so I'm going to etch another set of doors with these in half etch - see what that looks like. The doors themselves will locate in the holes in the casing with the wire handgrabs on each one. The higher part of the casing (near the cab) went OK, the top plate never sits down very well in models or in full size. The wider part over the engine proved very difficult to form so I've decided to do what I did with the DE2 (and for the same reason) and mould this in one oiece, it overhangs the sides all along and only has to match up to the radiator cowl whcih looks reasonably easy.

The radiator etches proved impossible though and need another total rethink.

The 00 Romford wheels are on standard extended axles with tapped sleeves threaded on to the ends, these are machined down to the size we normally use for pressing cranks on to axles - we aren't thinking of supplying these though. The Markits system will probably be fine for 00 but I only have EM ones at present and they won't fit between the frames. The Gibson OC system should work OK though in either gauge, P4 is a different kettle of fish though and may well need the frames moving outwards a bit - as we recommend for the very similar EE/HL 350hp.

This job will have to be parked now until I get another test etch.

News for anyone waiting for kits to be back in stock, we are expecting a delivery from PhotoEtch early next week and this will include the production etches for the oil fired Sentinel 0-6-0.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Two new kits on sale now.

IMG_0454.jpg.1f5009c2f0e7e74742fc71926a076475.jpg

Sentinel oil fired 0-6-0, Dorman Long version with low height cab.

IMG_0934.jpg.7603706e29dce015e762e0a8ea78fd59.jpg

The kit also includes parts for the normal height version supplied to GKN, this is the test etch - production ones are in brass.

Price is £75 + £4 postage

We also now have the Stone Faiveley pantograph in 4mm scale

1946364068_StoneFaiveleypan2.JPG.1286c921c0cf6d04995b5d84ac0e75a1.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG.6971e12b27be1b23bcd464746409e3d3.JPG

Shown fitted to a Triang AL1.

Price of the kit is £10 + £2 postage

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1