Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Got through that and eventually arrived at "stolen property" as an allowable category, however the last box which has to be ticked on the report form says "By submitting this email I certify that I am a law enforcement official" - so what on earth does that mean?

No idea - seems inappropriate.

Does your previous statement of circumstances indicate that you are the legal owner? Perhaps add a comment to the effect that you are NOT a law enforcement officer, despite your subsequent tick in that box.

CJI.

In a way, nothing has changed. You didn't have the model before you saw the eBay listing and still don't. Involving lawyers in trying to recover it will be messy and expensive, much more costly than the model is worth. My take on this is that you have two choices, either except that the model is lost or make sure you win the auction. 

You could take the matter through the small claims court I guess if the seller is going to get arsey about things.

You could also include the auction house that sold it in that claim too potentially.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Michael Edge said:

Exactly how did you do that and do you think they take any notice?

Probably not, loads of stolen goods on there, the headlamps for my car area  good example, broken in a certains way, ripped off a car.

Need to push.

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Got through that and eventually arrived at "stolen property" as an allowable category, however the last box which has to be ticked on the report form says "By submitting this email I certify that I am a law enforcement official" - so what on earth does that mean?

As you aren't submitting an email, presumably it means nothing

2 minutes ago, MJI said:

47 watchers, how many from this thread?

image.png.dff95af2a6666dc641dd7999e0eb7496.png

Me!

Although I probably would have watched it anyway as it would have came under one of my search terms in the Model Railway section. I don't tend to buy built items though, but do look to see how much some go for.

It's very rare to see a JE kit appear on eBay, built or unbuilt. One on there now, but it's someone who ISTR is a member of RMWEB as the name is familiar.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've sent him this message now:

I didn't want to be unpleasant about this, I appreciate that it must be very difficult for you to know if goods are stolen which is why I offered to come to some sort of amicable settlement of this. However, as you may have now realised a great many people in the model railway world are aware of what this is and where it came from - I was alerted by someone in Australia. How you came by it is irrelevant in law, theft is theft and it remains legally my property. You may well have a claim on the person who sold it to you but I would like it back please

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I messaged him too, just seems mean to not do the right thing and reunite loco with the rightful owner when they are offering to pay. He seems to be labouring under the misapprehension that the police would be interested and sort it out

• Agree 1

We (my club)had a similar situation. Item stollen from Doncaster toy fair and didnt bother reporting it to police. About a month later it appeared. Police were informed and we got item back. 
Maybe time to contact police. (Or at least make the threat )

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2