Heljan Class 16

Sulzer

• RMweb Gold

Don't snooze and lose. :no:

New D8404 +D8229 (which I've had for years) now on a rake of BR box vans next to me :) First visit to Lord and Butler's spacious new emporium, impressive. Paninis in Café in Pumping Station next door still good!

What a little beauty - totally agree, looks completely at home on the front of a train of 12t vans.

Class 28, 17, 15, all the Co-Co prototypes, the BP,  now the Class 16 - we've been very lucky and a few goodies in development also.

Makes me realise what a huge change occurred in the diesel fleet between 1968-77

Received mine today, great model of an ugly yet intricate prototype. The grab handles on the end of the long bonnet are rather impressive especially. Also mention must be made of the rather nice (and concentric!) spoked wheel sets, really give the loco a unique feel. 

Picked up mine from Lord and Butler yesterday as well ,yes.....Heljan have done a lovely job this time,detailing as posted previously is excellent including the etched roof walkway and small fittings and handrails.

They are really setting the standards for 1st generation diesels and prototypes

Well pleased.

Mine's just arrived and here are a few more shots of details since we've already had some general views (oh alright there's a general view too).

post-6669-0-33117500-1377343867.jpg

post-6669-0-76308000-1377343868.jpg

post-6669-0-56273200-1377343870.jpg

post-6669-0-70570700-1377343872.jpg

post-6669-0-15131200-1377343874.jpg

post-6669-0-48717800-1377343875.jpg

A convincing representation on first glance, shame about the 'plain' cab interior but you can't have everything.

I managed to cop all 10 of these from my bedroom window in SE London when they were on transfer freights to Hither Green so it's good to have one. This will be P4'd in due course for that 'Ouse Viaduct shot'.

I'll give it a twirl on the DRAG test track on Monday night and hopefully return with some video.

• Like 6

Ive seen photos of them double headed to a Class 15, they were hauling a mixed freight train, which included Covhops (future replication on the layout I think).

Got mine yesterday too, D8409 in Gloss, what a fantastic model.

Edited by spackz

They would have been in tandem, as opposed to being in multiple: class 15 had the blue star multple working code while class 16 had red circle, which means that operationally, the multiple controls were incompatible so each locomotive would need a crew.

• RMweb Premium

Some nice chap called Andrew who works for Hattons has packed my two new ones and is sending them to me. :danced:

The nice chap called Andrew has sent them to me, not had time to run them yet.

I did put one next to my oldest scratchbuilt loco, wish I hadn't. Ah well for 30years I had a good un and most other modellers didn't :beee:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about . . and here I am only jesting! Heljan making a dummy model, not for the purposes of double heading, but so we can faithfully recreate the class 16's natual habitat, the Stratford Dump . . . harrumph.

That's a bit unfair.

While running one of my scracthbuilt locos on a club layout many years ago a Stratford driver said "That would never happen."

"What?" was my reply.

"That thing moving." he continued " We would try and fail them before leaving shed. Not that wouldn't get you to your destination, they just wouldn't get you home."

• Like 1

Had a close look at one in HobbyRail, Sutton C. yesterday.  Absolutely exquisite detail, handles, etches, louvres, spokes...  I have no use for one, but hats-off to the Danes for raising the bar whence many never thought it could move.

Shame they have no plans for stable mate the louvre-fest Sad-Eyed 21/ 29.

Had a close look at one in HobbyRail, Sutton C. yesterday.  Absolutely exquisite detail, handles, etches, louvres, spokes...  I have no use for one, but hats-off to the Danes for raising the bar whence many never thought it could move.

Shame they have no plans for stable mate the louvre-fest Sad-Eyed 21/ 29.

It looks like Dapol are gearing up for the class 29. Hopefully the class 21 will follow.