The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've no idea what the North American English equivalent would be.

The naughty word filter would not permit it.

Arguably the 'tame' version would resolve to 'jerk' which has lost most of its earlier vulgarity.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

What really caught my eye was the building statue properly superimposed to appear to be on top of the van roof. At first viewing, I actually thought that it was. Also note that the term "Wi!!y" is not used over here very much; well, at least for "that".

As mentioned above the statue is a well known feature of what used to be Lewises Department Store*.

Mentioned in the chorus of the song "In My Liverpool Home" by the Spinners**

"In my Liverpool home, in my Liverpool home
We speak with an accent exceedingly rare
Meet under a statue exceedingly bare
And if you want a Cathedral, we've got one to spare
In my Liverpool home"

* I think the local expression"Standing around like one of Lewises" refers to it...  Or not.

** The Liverpool Spinners...     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spinners_(English_band)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

As mentioned above the statue is a well known feature of what used to be Lewises Department Store*.

Mentioned in the chorus of the song "In My Liverpool Home" by the Spinners**

"In my Liverpool home, in my Liverpool home
We speak with an accent exceedingly rare
Meet under a statue exceedingly bare
And if you want a Cathedral, we've got one to spare
In my Liverpool home"

* I think the local expression"Standing around like one of Lewises" refers to it...  Or not.

** The Liverpool Spinners...     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spinners_(English_band)

Thank you Hroth for providing a great and concise explanation.  (Alisdair)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

What really caught my eye was the building statue properly superimposed to appear to be on top of the van roof. At first viewing, I actually thought that it was. Also note that the term "Wi!!y" is not used over here very much; well, at least for "that".

The photo has only been cropped a bit. The hashtag on the van appealed to my childish sense of humour so I took the pic with my phone while we were stopped at the lights. It was entirely by accident that the "exceedingly bare" statue appears to be on top of the van!

Cheers

Don

Edited by Thorness
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Lewiss-Liverpool.jpg

The Birmingham one never had any statues.

At least part of it is now a 'Spoons.

The rest is law courts and offices.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

My Daughter spotted this detail on a sign beside the Grand Union canal, No running (away) with fish?

IMG-20230408-WA0003.jpg

At least the fish seems happy!

9 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

We were in there one  Saturday and my father pointed out another pipe-smoking customer and said he was an up & coming politician.  Harold Wilson was Shadow Chancellor at the time.

What dates it is that pipe-smoking is happening INDOORS....

My mother remembered the days when they had a "Childrens Corner" with a zoo, to park the kids while the mothers got on with the business of shopping.  I thought it was the most boring of the three big stores in Liverpool. GH Lees was ok, but Blacklers was the best, their grotto at Christmas was good too.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

What dates it is that pipe-smoking is happening INDOORS....

Thing about pipe smoking was that you didn't smoke that much. 

Dad spent a lot more time knocking out the ash, looking for pipe cleaners, cleaning the pipe, looking for his baccy, filling the pipe and looking for where he'd left his matches than he actually spent smoking the thing!

Tobacco tins were always useful to modellers for storage of small items like nuts and bolts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hroth said:

the term "Wi!!y"

I was visiting my brother in the States a number of years ago, and we were waiting to watch this "Jurassic Park" or somesuch film at the cinema, and along pops up an advertisment for a film called "Free Willy". So this set of three or four British peeps started to laugh out loud completely uncontrollably; for some reason the Americans then started laughing along with us, but they never knew why...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

and Dublin has the Floosie in the Jacuzzi !

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Also Birmingham.

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I'd forgotten that one - it wasn't there when I lived in the city (and the old Snow Hill station was still in use at the other end of Colmore Row), but I did see it when we went to the Xmas Market a few months ago.

For someyears it was the "Floosie in the Garden" as the whole thing leaked like a sieve and the water had been turned off:

image.png.e361b860eb2a0590a9e6b2f372136e89.png

It has now been restored:

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2022-05-19/birminghams-iconic-floozie-in-the-jacuzzi-is-switched-back-on-after-7-years

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1