The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've eaten horse though it was offered as steak in a back street cafe in Calais. I didn't realise until a bit later when I commented on the taste and it was suggested that it was indeed horse.

Way back in the early 80’s I went on a French exchange a year after my brother stayed with the older brother of the same family. 
I ate horse, tongue and various other delicacies, the Dad, a teacher at the school, admitted to our teacher that after my brother had turned up his nose at drinking from a bowl and eating horse they’d been surprised that I just got on with it. He admitted they’d run out of ideas to try with me 🤣 It helped that their Mum was a very good cook. On the way home the channel was so rough we went straight across and followed the coast along to Portsmouth, many were feeling a bit green so myself and two mates collected up their meal vouchers and had a rather nice couple of steaks each with puddings to follow 😉 Definitely preferred beef!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've eaten horse though it was offered as steak in a back street cafe in Calais. I didn't realise until a bit later when I commented on the taste and it was suggested that it was indeed horse.

I don't remember ever seeing horse ever explicitly offered on a French restaurant menu (I have seen it in Belgium). It used to be that beef steak would be offered as bifteck but that tradition seems to have almost died out so not easy to know which you will get. France used to have different categories of butchers' shops including boucherie chevaline. Very rarely seen nowadays, but sometimes still on ancient signage.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

France used to have different categories of butchers' shops including boucherie chevaline. Very rarely seen nowadays, but sometimes still on ancient signage.

So did the UK

Butchers, Pork Butchers & Horse Meat Butchers were all around in the 1950s

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

We really must stop making such observations about curry houses and Chinese take aways!  😁

Behave, or I'll dig out my photo of the Chinese takaway, with the next-door vets surgery...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

We really must stop making such observations about curry houses and Chinese take aways!  😁

This is 2023. Such attempts at ‘humour’ like this belong to the 1970s and before.

steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

The cats meat man was a street trader in the poorer parts of Victorian London. He used to sell scraps of meat, ostensibly for cats but probably eaten by humans. Most of the meat was horse meat from the many knackers yards in the East End.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Behave, or I'll dig out my photo of the Chinese takaway, with the next-door vets surgery...

3 hours ago, steve1 said:

This is 2023. Such attempts at ‘humour’ like this belong to the 1970s and before.

steve

Well I fully intend to use this sign on my layout in due course....

b63e08a5df3b2ce910e10e8d74127b5d.jpeg.4ebe296336b78dd1e3a4fd3aaa93e5c6.jpeg

I probably downloaded it from right here on RMweb... 😂😝👍

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

Re the horse meat scandal, there was a comment on TV - probably "Have I got News For You", or "Mock the Week" - anyway the gist of it was that scientists had conducted tests on Tesco's burgers and were just impressed that there was any meat in them at all.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MartinRS said:

horse-Tesco-bw.jpg.4bc9eaa610be7e9e5747ca0b07fe39fa.jpg

I just noticed that the guy appears to have no right arm; look at the bottom of his right sleeve. 🙄

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a typo.
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I just noticed that the guy appears to have no right arm; look at the bottom of his right sleeve. 🙄

If thats the case whats that hanging out of the leg of his shorts?

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

In true Panto style

IT'S BEHIND HIM!

Don't people normally walk with one arm in front and one behind?

Sometimes it looks rather odd....

Wilson_Keppel_Sand_Dance.jpg.25febd1bbb84b10088ec30d9721c8121.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Re the horse meat scandal, there was a comment on TV - probably "Have I got News For You", or "Mock the Week" - anyway the gist of it was that scientists had conducted tests on Tesco's burgers and were just impressed that there was any meat in them at all.....

Once came across a product made by a company (name omitted in case  they are still trading)  called "Caterburgers", allegedly due to the lack of meat in the product. 

• Like 1