The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PatB said:

Back when JuniorB was in kindergarten, they had a school trip, which I can only admire for its genius and simplicity, consisting of herding all the kids onto a bus, taking them to the depot and through the bus wash, then back to school. Exciting (for 5 year olds), cheap, and the kids were kept contained at all times when off school premises.

Plus, the bus needed washing anyway!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 20/04/2024 at 19:31, PhilJ W said:

Just as well that the school terror didn't decide to open the windows. 😁

Because Perth is conveniently situated within walking distance of the surface of the sun most of our buses are sealed, airconditioned boxes, largely to avoid the necessity of hosing out melted passengers at the end of every day in summer.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

On 20/04/2024 at 05:57, PatB said:

Back when JuniorB was in kindergarten, they had a school trip, which I can only admire for its genius and simplicity, consisting of herding all the kids onto a bus, taking them to the depot and through the bus wash, then back to school. Exciting (for 5 year olds), cheap, and the kids were kept contained at all times when off school premises.

There's a lot to be said for sending busloads of kids for an automated wash.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

spacer.png

So why has he got a hot water bottle there?

Is his rubberised horsehair freezing all over?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Friend of mine, Tina, an inveterate stoner and as usual high as a kite on this occasion, was a passenger in my car on a drive home from a band jolly in Cornwall.  The car had got mucky over the weekend and I took it through the car-wash at Exeter services when we got to the M5.  Watching her spliff-induced reaction to the experience (she was a car-wash virgin) was, well, wonderful. 

Like, woah, dude, amazing…

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's a Venn Diagram Dave - named for John Venn. The Blue Plaques are by "English Heritage" - this one is a pun.

It's funny and it's a wacky sign. So full marks.

I guess that humor does not necessarily cross the ocean and retain the intended humor.

• Friendly/supportive 3

24 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Friend of mine, Tina, an inveterate stoner and as usual high as a kite on this occasion, was a passenger in my car on a drive home from a band jolly in Cornwall.  The car had got mucky over the weekend and I took it through the car-wash at Exeter services when we got to the M5.  Watching her spliff-induced reaction to the experience (she was a car-wash virgin) was, well, wonderful. 

Like, woah, dude, amazing…

Back - along, just after I bought my Freelander, I was in the habit of taking my {3-5 yr old} daughter along with me, to the drive through car wash.  She thought it was great fun.  One particular such outing, I had the front windows open, because of the hot summer weather.  I only just remembered to close them as we entered the first, soaping, part, but not before a few small splashes came in through the windows.  Not particularly worried, I grabbed both window buttons and hauled them, rapidly, upwards.  We got a few more drops in, whilst they were rising, which had her in gales of, delighted, laughter.

What I wasn't expecting was the immediate start of them descending again, straight after the bump to a halt, at the top.  Obviously I grabbed the buttons and had them on the way up again, accompanied by even louder laughter.  Back up at the top, they started back down again, so I got hold of the buttons and simply held them in the Up position until we were far enough through the wash process to let them go again.  At that point, I raised each window separately and held it there for a few moments, whereupon they stayed up.  Checking with the garage people when I next went to get it serviced, they confirmed that it did that by design, but they hadn't got the first idea, what the purpose was.

P.S.  She is over 18 now, but still has a giggle, if we go to a drive through again - 

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

More along the lines of "Some nerds made a science joke that wasn't funny"....

There's the physicist joke from The Big Bang Theory:

"A farmer has some chickens who don't lay any eggs. The farmer calls a physicist to help. The physicist does some calculation and says "I have a solution but it only works for spherical chickens in a vacuum!".

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm afraid most of us didn't get it either.

I got it and still didn't think it was funny........☹️

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apart from having no idea what (a) "really strong beard game" might be, and even knowing that John Venn had a beard does not help, I am a little surprised that people who thought it worth using a Venn diagram for the sign didn't seem to know what a Venn Diagram is/does.

The things inside each circle form a set, so usually they are all the same type of thing. The labels, if needed, go on the outside. Here is a Venn Diagram:

image.png.fe562c6a6d2e64a4e64c4016804c3cf3.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Apart from having no idea what (a) "really strong beard game" might be, and even knowing that John Venn had a beard does not help, I am a little surprised that people who thought it worth using a Venn diagram for the sign didn't seem to know what a Venn Diagram is/does.

The things inside each circle form a set, so usually they are all the same type of thing. The labels, if needed, go on the outside. Here is a Venn Diagram:

image.png.fe562c6a6d2e64a4e64c4016804c3cf3.png

Hi, you're diagram, as labelled is quite correct as you have labelled it.  It seems to me that the one on the wall is, in fact, also correct(?), but probably wasn't intended to have the same labels that you chose for yours.

It looks like the circles are about Professions which he belonged to, in the left-hand circle and similarly, Beards in the right-hand one, which he was a member of both. {Slightly dodgy grounds, in that that he was shown as a member of both sets, despite other, similarly qualified folks, not being included.}.  The plaque is attached to the house, which gives some implied context to the reason for the plaque.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It was just a (clever?) play on the blue circle plaques and Venn diagrams. 
Hardly worth analysing to the nth degree.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

The plaque is attached to the house, which gives some implied context to the reason for the plaque.

At the risk of further pedantry, it was attached to Drypool Bridge in Hull.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Back - along, just after I bought my Freelander, I was in the habit of taking my {3-5 yr old} daughter along with me, to the drive through car wash.  She thought it was great fun.  One particular such outing, I had the front windows open, because of the hot summer weather.  I only just remembered to close them as we entered the first, soaping, part, but not before a few small splashes came in through the windows.  Not particularly worried, I grabbed both window buttons and hauled them, rapidly, upwards.  We got a few more drops in, whilst they were rising, which had her in gales of, delighted, laughter.

What I wasn't expecting was the immediate start of them descending again, straight after the bump to a halt, at the top.  Obviously I grabbed the buttons and had them on the way up again, accompanied by even louder laughter.  Back up at the top, they started back down again, so I got hold of the buttons and simply held them in the Up position until we were far enough through the wash process to let them go again.  At that point, I raised each window separately and held it there for a few moments, whereupon they stayed up.  Checking with the garage people when I next went to get it serviced, they confirmed that it did that by design, but they hadn't got the first idea, what the purpose was.

P.S.  She is over 18 now, but still has a giggle, if we go to a drive through again - 

Back in the early mid ‘90s I had a Range Rover (classic) and had it ‘breathed on’ by Overfinch.  Amongst the things they did was to install a mod to the alarm/door locking system that ensured that when you locked it with the remote, if the windows were open they closed.  Worked perfectly. However the system was extended to the sunroof. If it was open when you locked the car, the roof closed. I found out after a snowfall, that if the roof was closed, and you locked it the roof opened.   Needless to say we disconnected that bit.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8