RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

"It makes it difficult for computers".

Oh, that's alright then.

Some might suggest that it makes it difficult for computers with badly written software.

I know someone who deliberately chose a boat name with an apostrophe in it as a means of finding out who was using good software.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Some might suggest that it makes it difficult for computers with badly written software.

It would have to be laughably bad software, but then it is the council...

Anyway they blame BS7666 but that says you can have apostrophes if they are in the name so maybe someone should go and have another read of it.

All names should be given in full. Abbreviations and punctuation should not be used unless they appear in the designated name (e.g. ‘Earl’s Court Road’). Only single spaces should be used, and the use of leading spaces should be avoided.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

That was on BBC breakfast last week & they had Suzie Dent on noting that the apostrophe has fallen out of use in English a lot recently, along with the semi colon.

She also noted that many words that today are expected to have apostrophes in earlier times didn't.

Anyway, around hear all signs in Worcestershire have their apostrophes but next door in Brum, they don't and haven't for years.

Edited by melmerby
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Yes we haven’t had apostrophes for many years in Brum; we just can’t afford them.

Perhaps, that could be more related to the dialect????

• Funny 1

48 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Uh-oh, an apostrophe catastrophe.

Yes, and for those that wondered why...

A local authority has announced it will ban apostrophes on street signs to avoid problems with computer systems.

Presumably this disfunctional system would have the same problem with any Irish surnames. Where apostrophes (or single quote marks) are an essential part of the name. That is just sloppy & lazy software design. They could deal with apostrophes and quote marks (if they made the effort). But a ban is easier and cheaper than solving the problem. Please do not suggest that there is any correlation between local authorities and the employment of sloppy & lazy people.

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JZ said:

3ji1vlc9aluno4yo.jpg.0750f1b3d0d6d7cfc5112c8ffca16214.jpg

So was Tom McEldroon one of the irate short stayers, or was he more irate at the publication, disclosing his name?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

NEVER speak to the press, and if you have to NEVER give them your name!

I did wonder if the press had followed his request and ‘Tom McEldroon’ is an anagram of his real name, but despite playing around with the letters I cannot think of a solution.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Deeps said:

McEldroon’ is an anagram of his real name

I could be wrong, but I think it means "Pike"

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 9

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That could be because I’m talking without speaking and you’re hearing without listening…

Definitely explains a lot of things.....  🤪

Ok, I'll admit it, I was listening to Wizzard doing "Angel Fingers".....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That could be because I’m talking without speaking and you’re hearing without listening…

Stop pratting about will you? It's cold and damp, the streetlamp has gone out, in the darkness I've just fallen over the loose cobblestones, and now someone is flashing a neon light in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 12/05/2024 at 18:39, Dunsignalling said:

The obvious solution is to stop giving thoroughfares names requiring the use of apostrophes. 

Nar, we'll get gangs of delinquent grocers adding apostrophes where no one else would think of putting them.  

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

9 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Nar, we'll get gangs of delinquent grocers adding apostrophes where no one else would think of putting them.  

It's Arkwright's provisions and Open All Hour's finest moment. Granville's bicycle's got flat tyres, so he's pulling the milk lady's pints. Baba O'Riley's on the radio, from The Who's "Who's Next" album, and all's right.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5