The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the bedside table in the hotel we stayed in last week:

post-1771-0-04917500-1466987874.jpg

Here's the explanation, taken from the door of our room:

post-1771-0-98817300-1466987877.jpg

There is only one scheduled train each way per day on this line, plus the odd extra. However, the westbound is scheduled to go past at 3AM. Diesel horns blowing the 'crossing' signal at 20 yards does interrupt sleep somewhat.

(This is the second hotel we've stayed in in the last couple of months that supplies such notices and earplugs. "Roundhouse" of this parish has also stayed in the other one.)

• Like 6

pH, I would have thought that Nelson would have a quiet zone by now.  I stayed at a hotel at Lake Louise and the CP main was 80 yards from my room - much quieter with the quiet zone, but you could hear the horns blowing from a few miles away, followed by the gentle rumble of GE's, seacans and hoppers.   Nice view of "The Mall" though! :)

Andrew

• Like 1

pH, I would have thought that Nelson would have a quiet zone by now.  I stayed at a hotel at Lake Louise and the CP main was 80 yards from my room - much quieter with the quiet zone, but you could hear the horns blowing from a few miles away, followed by the gentle rumble of GE's, seacans and hoppers.   Nice view of "The Mall" though! :)

Andrew

Andrew, I'm not sure that the three crossings on roads that access the mall parking lot would currently qualify to be part of a quiet zone. None of them have barriers, and one doesn't even have lights - just crossbucks and a STOP sign. Plus two of them, at least, are pretty busy, with a fairly steady stream of traffic over them during the times the mall is open.

I don't know who is responsible for paying to bring crossings up to standard to allow a quiet zone, but I'm sure CP wouldn't volunteer. And with only two trains a day (only one scheduled overnight) plus an occasional extra, would the city be prepared to pay? I know that even a couple of streets back from the line, where my son and family live, you can sleep through the night train passing, though to me the horns on the SD30ECOs have a different, more piercing, sound than horns on earlier CP locos.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry no photo but travelling on a '16 reg bus I noticed that the emergency exits were windows which were required to be broken with glass hammers.

Nothing unusual there.

However the hammers (several around the bus) were kept in glazed recesses marked "Break Glass to Open" and lower down "Toughened Glass"

So, to make an emergency exit you break a window with a hammer. To get at that hammer you have to break a toughened glass panel with?.................. :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Sorry no photo but travelling on a '16 reg bus I noticed that the emergency exits were windows which were required to be broken with glass hammers.

Nothing unusual there.

However the hammers (several around the bus) were kept in glazed recesses marked "Break Glass to Open" and lower down "Toughened Glass"

So, to make an emergency exit you break a window with a hammer. To get at that hammer you have to break a toughened glass panel with?.................. :scratchhead:

Keith

Head butt?

Nothing unusual there.

Keith

Don't know if it ever happened, but there was talk some time ago that the break-glass covering hammers etc. on trains would be replaced by sugar-glass, that is the stuff that is used for stunts in the film industry. Looks like glass so is still a deterrent to miss-use, but easy to break without risk of injury in an emergency.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like glass so is still a deterrent to miss-use......

....... especially if you write 'Toughened Glass' at the bottom.

Edited by BoD