The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

There are several ex Glasgow trams at the Crich Tramway village which have  signs which read "Only eight allowed standing, except on last tram on any route".

It seems to say to me, no conductor dared to tell number nine in the queue, possibly full of certain local beverages, they were not getting on.

A place well worth a visit by the way.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tramway_Museum

• Like 4

It seems to say to me, no conductor dared to tell number nine in the queue, possibly full of certain local beverages, they were not getting on.

No great problem, as long as there are platform doors. And if the potential passenger is properly "full of certain local beverages", even less of a problem - people aren't usually lightning-fast in that state.

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if it ever happened, but there was talk some time ago that the break-glass covering hammers etc. on trains would be replaced by sugar-glass, that is the stuff that is used for stunts in the film industry. Looks like glass so is still a deterrent to miss-use, but easy to break without risk of injury in an emergency.

Sugar glass is probably much too fragile to withstand the everyday movement of trains, buses, etc., but a good idea in principle.

As to the comment about hammers to break windows, I found out last week that a swift kick to the "Break Glass for Fire Extinguisher" glass does the job.  It then of course covers the fire extinguisher in broken glass, resulting in hand injuries whilst trying to extract it, and blood on various surfaces...

Have you seen the new versions on buses, similar to the ones where you pull a handle to break the glass on trains, a round knob in the corner of the glass that you punch to shatter the pane - I'm surprised we've had no one test it yet...

Sugar glass is probably much too fragile to withstand the everyday movement of trains, buses, etc., but a good idea in principle.

As to the comment about hammers to break windows, I found out last week that a swift kick to the "Break Glass for Fire Extinguisher" glass does the job.  It then of course covers the fire extinguisher in broken glass, resulting in hand injuries whilst trying to extract it, and blood on various surfaces...

Have you seen the new versions on buses, similar to the ones where you pull a handle to break the glass on trains, a round knob in the corner of the glass that you punch to shatter the pane - I'm surprised we've had no one test it yet...

Ours was tested years ago, and they do work (remember we were one of the areas with the 4 prototypes, now we have all four streetlites, luckly all ours have cummins engines).

• Like 2

There are several ex Glasgow trams at the Crich Tramway village which have  signs which read "Only eight allowed standing, except on last tram on any route".

A place well worth a visit by the way.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tramway_Museum

Or perhaps a "duty of care" not to leave people stranded late at night.

Noticed this tub with conflicting info on it.

It tells you to recycle but also says it's not recyclable, so whats that recyclable logo doing there!

attachicon.giftub2.jpg

Keith

That's not the recycling logo, strictly speaking.

All plastic products are required to have that logo, while the number and letter code will tell you to what degree the material is recyclable. PP stands for Polypropylene, and is graded as No5. It is quickly becoming accepted by most places as a recyclable material, but is currently not accepted by all.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Noticed this tub with conflicting info on it.

It tells you to recycle but also says it's not recyclable, so whats that recyclable logo doing there!

attachicon.giftub2.jpg

Keith

FYI This is recyclable where you live Keith.  Into the green bin it goes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

FYI This is recyclable where you live Keith.  Into the green bin it goes.

Yes, I knew that. In Worcestershire all plastics unless they are black but no lids, stoppers, film etc.

The logo actually means it is recyclable material and the number and lettering tell you which type of plastic it actually is.

Aldi seemed to have messed up the advice on the tub because it had the "recyclenow.com" suggesting it is recyclable and then adding "not recyclable"

And being pedantic about the ingredients: In English we don't use the gender for buffaloes so Buffalo Milk is perfectly correct.

The other side did say "Mozzarella di bufala ........"!

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

....being pedantic about the ingredients: In English we don't use the gender for buffaloes so Buffalo Milk is perfectly correct.

The other side did say "Mozzarella di bufala ........"!

Even so, "buffalo cheese" can sound a bit wrong if you're in an irreverent state of mind  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifWalesKKK.jpg

Only in North Wales...?

Where's the Welsh on the sign?

Anyway the car is beyond the sign and therefore in the dangerous driving zone. (I assume once you've passed a "thank you for driving safely" sign you can forget about safety until the next one...isn't that what they're for?)