The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

Swiss German humour.

post-6971-0-53639800-1475400780.jpg

In case you can't read it, it says "Tritt näher! Er ist nicht so lang wie Du denkst..."

For the non German speakers, have a guess first.

NB google translate suggests "he" where most people would have said "it", but that's machine translation for you - no context. Or maybe some people give theirs a name.

And from the same holiday, a menu item "lost in translation":

post-6971-0-60673900-1475401319.jpg

Maniac dumplings pan - Homemade dumplings with tasty pumpkin cubes and arugula on finest meadow flower scum and spicy cottage cheese.

With the waiter, we worked out that the "scum" was the German "Schaum" = foam in this case, but we couldn't fathom why the maniac dumplings. They were a kind of gnocchi.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

From a Midlands working men's club.

Please do not throw your cigarette butts in the urinals

It makes them soggy and difficult to light.

Or the variation on the wall in the upstairs gents in the Ship & Royal in Shields: Please do not put your tabs in the trough; after all, we don't p*** in your ashtray

• Like 2

Swiss German humour.....

attachicon.gifManiac dumplings and scum on menu.jpg

Maniac dumplings pan - Homemade dumplings with tasty pumpkin cubes and arugula on finest meadow flower scum and spicy cottage cheese.

With the waiter, we worked out that the "scum" was the German "Schaum" = foam in this case, but we couldn't fathom why the maniac dumplings....

Maybe they involved cereal killing to make the dough for the dumplings?

• RMweb Premium

There was one in Winchester that has now gone and I have lost my photo of it,  which was a turn right arrow with 'King Alfred' above it.

Presumably peasants had to turn left.  It has ever been thus.

The local bus company used to go by the name of 'King Alfred' so it may have been a direction to the bus station.

There was one in Winchester that has now gone and I have lost my photo of it,  which was a turn right arrow with 'King Alfred' above it.

Presumably peasants had to turn left.  It has ever been thus.

OT, but I think the Bake Off team missed a treat by not basing their operations in Winchester......

• RMweb Gold

Swiss German humour.

attachicon.gifMove closer sign, gents.jpg

In case you can't read it, it says "Tritt näher! Er ist nicht so lang wie Du denkst..."

For the non German speakers, have a guess first.

NB google translate suggests "he" where most people would have said "it", but that's machine translation for you - no context. Or maybe some people give theirs a name.

attachicon.gifManiac dumplings and scum on menu.jpg

With the waiter, we worked out that the "scum" was the German "Schaum" = foam in this case, but we couldn't fathom why the maniac dumplings. They were a kind of gnocchi.

Manioc(cassava) probably.  Can be used whole, grated or as a kind of flour much like potatoes.

The local bus company used to go by the name of 'King Alfred' so it may have been a direction to the bus station.

When I went to the 009 Society show at Sparsholt in April, I got chatting to another punter at the bus stop in Winchester about the bus services. He told me:

"The last time I caught a bus in Winchester was back in the days of King Alfred."

I only just stopped myself asking him whether it was before or after he burnt the cakes.

• RMweb Premium

On the same lines was a sign in Birdland (Bourton on the Water) which said:

"Please don't throw cigarettes in the pond - the fish don't smoke"

Keith

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

In Hope, Derbyshire, an antiquey/interiors shop, "Living in Hope"

post-6971-0-49313200-1477219316.jpg

And further up the valley (in Castleton), their sister shop, presumably with all the stuff that doesn't sell in the main shop, "Beyond Hope"

post-6971-0-78611900-1477219315.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One from Northern Ireland

attachicon.gif20161023_110843.jpg

I've had the same at the T junction where my road meets the main road, there were two sets of road works giving countermanding orders, luckily there was a way through.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I went to the 009 Society show at Sparsholt in April, I got chatting to another punter at the bus stop in Winchester about the bus services. He told me:

"The last time I caught a bus in Winchester was back in the days of King Alfred."

I only just stopped myself asking him whether it was before or after he burnt the cakes.

Maybe he was a bit confused about past exhibitions - the Burnham and District MRC hold their exhibitions in the King Alfred School.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few signs - some of which have 'humorous' captions for which I have to admit responsibility

post-14351-0-57659700-1477607494_thumb.jpg

I wondered if, as the locations named are all religious buildings, they were trying to be inclusive, but just hadn't found a mosque or synagogue nearby.

post-14351-0-45412400-1477607496_thumb.jpg

The tailbacks must be horrific if you try to read all this as you enter the harbour area.

post-14351-0-35738900-1477607605_thumb.jpg

I was on that bus when the Rover cut across in front of it and forced it to run into a pavement railing. I only noticed the irony of the offside advert when I got off and crossed the road having realised that the bus would be sat there for a while for formalities to be done.

post-14351-0-80958900-1477607499.jpg

Irresponsible young oiks who wear their baseball caps back-to-front pee on the seat - while more staid older types sit and wee. I wonder if this is the only sign that displays stickman's stick!

post-14351-0-62320900-1477607847_thumb.jpg

Sorry for inflicting this lot on youl - now you know what the family have to put up with and why they are happy I spend more time on the computer than with them!

Edited by phil_sutters