The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

420367794_2071490086539152_7139527720608005251_n.jpg.43e7f648911bebbb499df1d18e4b35d6.jpg

5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Is it just me who ended up subconsciously reading that to the tune of The Twelve Days of Christmas?

I don't know about 12 Days of Christmas, but there seems to be an unhealthy preoccupation with all things Scottish.

Perhaps it was thought up the day after a previous Burns Night.

This years is only a week off.

One dreads what will they come up with...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

there seems to be an unhealthy preoccupation with all things Scottish.

Unhealthy preoccupation?

Presumably the lift is in some Highland hotel with an easily-amused, possibly North American, clientele?

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

But the air ambulance can come and pick up the rider.  That would seem the only way out. Otherwise you sttay there and starve to death.

Bernard

You could always take-up a Paleolithic diet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It's quite a horrible restriction, preventing access for walkers and cyclists along quiet western side of Thirlmere (the eastern side has the main A591):

As anyone actually been prosecuted? Who by?

vector-flat-style-illustration-royal-can

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Unhealthy preoccupation?

Presumably the lift is in some Highland hotel with an easily-amused, possibly North American, clientele?

I which case it would be , 9 persons or 3 Americans .

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Unhealthy preoccupation?

Given the contents of the list, all three "bemused" North American clientele might be more appropriate.

Edited by jcredfer
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

I don't know about 12 Days of Christmas, but there seems to be an unhealthy preoccupation with all things Scottish.

Except for the alcoholic drink, which isn’t Scottish.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

I don't know about 12 Days of Christmas, but there seems to be an unhealthy preoccupation with all things Scottish. Perhaps it was thought up the day after a previous Burns Night.

Perhaps it's the 12 Days of Hogmanay?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I which case it would be , 9 persons or 3 Americans .

Why is the assumption that the average is 80kg? Who gets the job of weighing 9 people, to make sure the total doesn't exceed 720kg? If 6 people average 120kg, then the lift is at it's capacity.

Of course, as the sign is metric, Americans would have no idea of the weight limit.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

420367794_2071490086539152_7139527720608005251_n.jpg.43e7f648911bebbb499df1d18e4b35d6.jpg

I think someone doesn't know how big a grouse is!

You're not fitting 1358 of them in a lift....

The red grouse (Lagopus lagopus) is a medium-sized brown bird with red ‘eyebrows’. An adult is typically about 40cm in length with a 60cm wingspan, and weighs around 600g. Its Latin name translates as ‘hare foot’, an apt description.

https://www.nature.scot/plants-animals-and-fungi/birds/upland-birds/red-grouse#:~:text=The red grouse (Lagopus lagopus,foot'%2C an apt description.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MartinRS said:

If it's a Scottish theme they're aiming for then the drink should be whisky, without the 'e'.

So since a Scottish place would NEVER make that sort of mistake, I wonder where it is? It can't be the US, as they wouldn't use Kg as a measurement.

I believe the US, use the numbers starting from 1, as been the lowest or what most other places call 'Ground Floor' or as in this example '0'.

A Scottish themed place in Canada, perhaps?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well stamped down?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But if  they are flying around then there is no weight at all .    

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But if  they are flying around then there is no weight at all .    

Now that's interesting question for an aerodynamics engineer.  If they are airborne, is there not a net downward air thrust from their wings equal to the lift necessary to fly, and if so does it act on the floor of the lift?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Now that's interesting question for an aerodynamics engineer.  If they are airborne, is there not a net downward air thrust from their wings equal to the lift necessary to fly, and if so does it act on the floor of the lift?

And are they laden or unladen? 😉

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There is no force involved, there is a local change in pressure as an aerofoil moves through a medium. The pressure is lowered above a wing and raised beneath. In effect, the atmosphere sucks the wing upwards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The principle has been tested with flying insects in a sealed jar on a sensitive scale.  The weight of the insect is borne by the air in the jar while they are flying, and thus the total weight on the scale remains the same.  Thus it follows that airborne grouse would still "weigh" the same inside the lift. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

And are they laden or unladen? 😉

More specifically, are they African or European?

(another Monty Python scenario)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 25kV said:

The principle has been tested with flying insects in a sealed jar on a sensitive scale.  The weight of the insect is borne by the air in the jar while they are flying, and thus the total weight on the scale remains the same.  Thus it follows that airborne grouse would still "weigh" the same inside the lift. 

But if the grouse is'nt in contact with any part the lift surface then surely it can't be adding any weight .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 25kV said:

Sealed being the word. The lift isn't sealed so inside the lift or hovering above the lift, the grouse is bourne by the atmosphere in general.

There's surely a grey area between sealed and the door's open but I've no idea how you might calculate the weight of an isect in a jar with a pin hole.