Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Problem is, when you are out of the house for 14 hours a day Monday to Friday and then announce that you are off to Warley to play trains all weekend (Shipley's Leicester South), with a late invite to a wedding on the Saturday, I would have a sh1t fit too if I was her.

Still at Warley on Sunday, mind.

At least I'll get some modelling done on Saturday morning; a result of waking up at 5:45 five days a week is that I wake up long before Sofia does at weekends (and I do have an exhibition layout to build).

Isn't life fun............

• Like 7

Been there and got the T-shirt!!   On one occasion at a show, I met up with a mate and told him I had bought a big blue loco.   He was a dyed in the wool LNER man and new my engines were red or black and gave me a ribbing.  I took the loco out of the bag I was carrying and let him see it.  His face was a picture.  The loco I had bought was a big brightly coloured plastic thing that went ----  choo   choo when you pushed it.  It was, of course,  for one of my grand children.

Derek 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If I wasn't operating, I wouldn't go myself, so my answer has to be a profound NO.

Of all the shows I've done it is my least favourite, both as a visitor and exhibitor. Now that many of the small traders have been priced out and don't attend it reduces my reasons for going.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

No updates on Bacup per se, but thought this would be the best place to say it was a pleasure to meet everyone at Stafford today, too many to mention but you all know who you are :)

Spent ten times longer chatting than I did looking at layouts, always a sign of a good show.

• Like 3

No updates on Bacup per se, but thought this would be the best place to say it was a pleasure to meet everyone at Stafford today, too many to mention but you all know who you are :)

Spent ten times longer chatting than I did looking at layouts, always a sign of a good show.

Great to see you again mate, CAP and all, but no hanging out of you gob, ahahhah, Hope you had a good journey home.

• RMweb Gold

So now that you've had all that practice on The Mill are you going to repaint all of the window frames on Bacup? 

:devil:

For what it's worth... I hadn't really noticed they were such a clean white until I saw your incredibly persevering work on The Mill. You obviously need to avoid your own standards rising too much... just makes a lot of remedial work for yourself.

:jester:

• RMweb Premium

Some of the buildings on Bacup (the later ones) do have the frames painted in a creamy off-white colour but I can categorically state that I will NOT be revisiting the other windows. I can't express in words how time consuming it is to do it properly (e.g ensure that the edges of the frames are painted too - leaving them unpainted with the main faces done looks terrible).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm assisting to operate Midchester City at the Leamington show next month so thought I'd browse to see what else was there. Imagine my delight when at the top of the list I see "Bacup"

So Jason has managed behind the scenes to convert his firmly attached layout into an exhibition piece and we're all going to be able to see the delights of his work first hand... Sadly not. On clicking through I see that the Bacup in question is Bacup Shed L&Y 1910. It looks interesting, but sadly isn't Mills in the hills. Ah well, I can only imagine :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bacup is in print again, although only those members of the L&Y Society will get chance to see the article as it is in the society mag's latest edition. I wold take a photo and put it up but I forgot, and loaned the mag to Chris to read.

• Like 7

Bacup is in print again, although only those members of the L&Y Society will get chance to see the article as it is in the society mag's latest edition. I wold take a photo and put it up but I forgot, and loaned the mag to Chris to read.

That's good news mate, it deserves a wider audience, any new pic's by any chance?