Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Hi Terry,

the layout is approaching completion but I have a fair amount of locos and stock to build still, including a London Road belpaire firebox Radial 2-4-2, a London Road Class 30 (which is out of period as the last one was scrapped in 1951 and still had LMS lettering on the tender from what I can gather) and a George Norton Class 23. There is also thirteen 21 ton hoppers and various other wagons that need finishing and weathering, an LMS push-pull coach (and old Phoenix Models one) that I really should get finished, a ton of other coaches that need weathering, point rodding to add (Brassmasters or MSE - not decided yet), the starter signal to motorise, etc., etc.

At the same time, there is an EM gauge layout to build for the EM Gauge Society competition (although that is a joint effort with Chris GNR), buildings for the club layout (Clayton), a PCB crossover / single slip that I am building for Andy Bodgit and I am sure that I will be tempted by a few more loco kits in the coming months (which reminds me, I still have a Judith Edge kit to finish - way out of period for Bacup as they were built from 1971 onwards - photo below of progress to date, and the photo is over two years old).

I do love modelling :D

Vanguard0-4-0DH009.jpg

• Like 16

Finally got hold of a copy of this month's BRM, and must say the article is really good. Despite having followed this thread for a long time, the article condensed things down really nicely. Hope you have a lot of fun running Bacup, as well as working on new projects.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

Hi Terry,

the layout is approaching completion but I have a fair amount of locos and stock to build still, including a London Road belpaire firebox Radial 2-4-2, a London Road Class 30 (which is out of period as the last one was scrapped in 1951 and still had LMS lettering on the tender from what I can gather) and a George Norton Class 23. There is also thirteen 21 ton hoppers and various other wagons that need finishing and weathering, an LMS push-pull coach (and old Phoenix Models one) that I really should get finished, a ton of other coaches that need weathering, point rodding to add (Brassmasters or MSE - not decided yet), the starter signal to motorise, etc., etc.

At the same time, there is an EM gauge layout to build for the EM Gauge Society competition (although that is a joint effort with Chris GNR), buildings for the club layout (Clayton), a PCB crossover / single slip that I am building for Andy Bodgit and I am sure that I will be tempted by a few more loco kits in the coming months (which reminds me, I still have a Judith Edge kit to finish - way out of period for Bacup as they were built from 1971 onwards - photo below of progress to date, and the photo is over two years old).

I do love modelling :D

Vanguard0-4-0DH009.jpg

Well i'm sure all of that work should keep you out of trouble for some time to come then!!!  I do like the look of the judith edge kit...where did you get it from?

Terry

Jason,

I know I've mentioned it before but - how do you find time to work and keep a wife happy with all this modelling. You must have fantastic energy reserves! Thank you once again for the inspiration you have given me and doubtless lots of others!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

I wake up early, Jock :)

Terry, the Judith Edge shunter is an etched brass kit made by, erm, Judith Edge :)

Michael Edge is a member and active poster on RMWeb and will advise if you were to get stuck but the kits are a joy to build, very well thought out and the instruction are clear and don't require you to understand the technical terms for every part of a real loco. A good choice for a first etched brass kit basically, especially if you do what I did and pick one that uses a Black Beetle motor bogie which means you don't need to build the chassis.

The one I built is a Thomas Hill Vanguard and will be finished one of these days.

• Like 4

There's been no updates for a while now. This doesn't mean that I've not been progressing, just that I've had less time and as such, what time I have had has been spent on modelling rather than posting. Also, neither of the below are for Bacup.

First, we have Bodgit's slip for his Bitton layout, getting there but not yet finished.

NotBacup006_zps40077eb0.jpg

Next, and Chris (2ManySpams) may recognise this, we have the High Level chassis kit for the Dapol Pug.

Partly because of my involvement with a number of EM layouts, partly because of The Mill (the EM society competition layout Chris and I are building) and partly because I have grown weary of the sloppiness in back to backs, etc., of OO, I am building this (and all future kits) in EM. This one is also a first for me as I am building it with compensation, hence the hornblocks.

It's been a pleasure to build so far, with the instructions being easy to follow and the kit itself being incredibly well thought out and manufactured. After this, there are three more L&Y kits on my waiting list, including the Radial 2-4-2, a Class 23, another Class 27 and a Class 30, all of which will be EM too. I like to plan ahead and whatever replaces Bacup (a long way off, before anyone asks) will most definitely be in EM and quite likely be pack-dated to before those smelly diesels came along and ruined everything.

NotBacup003_zps6b164981.jpg

NotBacup004_zps46279892.jpg

NotBacup004_zps46279892.jpg

I do have some Bacup related things on the go, more of which later (but not today or even this week........)

Cheers,

J, or Jason T, but no longer Sandside :)

Wow Mr T, that slip looks the nuts mate, can we have a pic in Bitton please, its worthy of a page of conversation in its own right.

Now as for that Local Mine Shunter, (LMS for short) what motor will you have in it and presumably it will be DCC?

Looking forward to more on the Mill.

• RMweb Premium

The kit comes complete with a Mashima 1024 and a bespoke gearbox, hence being able to add all the cab interior and remove the blanking screen from the cab opening. As for DCC, it will be getting the smallest chip I can find.

• RMweb Premium

The kit comes complete with a Mashima 1024 and a bespoke gearbox, hence being able to add all the cab interior and remove the blanking screen from the cab opening. As for DCC, it will be getting the smallest chip I can find.

Find any spiders?

Hello Jason,  Just got a copy of BRM, (slow or what) love 'Bacup' really captures the scene a classic layout, great stuff, gives me lots of ideas ? also great bit of trackwork for old Bodgit, he will be very pleased....

George

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering about that this morning but it would be more hassle than it is worth.

A more likely outcome would be to use some of the buildings from Bacup for a future exhibition layout. As they are all removeable and could therefore easily be re-housed on another layout, if I ever have the space for a permanent and an exhibition layout, then the buildings could, to all intents and purposes, be shared between layouts.

• Like 7

I was wondering about that this morning but it would be more hassle than it is worth.

A more likely outcome would be to use some if the buildings from Bacup for a future exhibition layout. As they are all remove able and could therefore easily be re-housed on another layout, if I ever have the space for a permanent and an exhibition layout, then the buildings could, to all intents and purposes, be shared between layouts.

I've edited my post above, hahhahahha

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a fan of 'look what I bought' posts (although have succumbed a few times, e.g. the recent C12 purchase) because, well you know why, without me having to say.

However, I bought something yesterday and it was here when I got home from work. Photo? No point really because it is a box with some bits of brass in it and there is already a photo in this thread of exactly the same thing.

Yes, I bought another Craftsman L&Y A Class, this one destined to be EM gauge and if I don't screw it up, I'm going to try and change it from the very basic and totally rigid chassis it comes with to a compensated one which will mean judicious chopping and drilling, with little idea of what I am doing but bucketloads of enthusiasm. If it all goes belly up then no great loss as I have a spare chassis because after seeing Larry's use of the Bachmann C class chassis, the original is 80% through being converted and as such, the chassis it was built with is surplus to requirements (unsprung with rigid coupling rods, it was never going to be a good runner, not on what is basically a shunting layout).

What this means, of course, is that not only have I bought the kit but will now need to buy hornguides, coupling rods, etc.

I love this hobby.

• Like 6

I'm not a fan of 'look what I bought' posts (although have succumbed a few times, e.g. the recent C12 purchase) because, well you know why, without me having to say.

However, I bought something yesterday and it was here when I got home from work. Photo? No point really because it is a box with some bits of brass in it and there is already a photo in this thread of exactly the same thing.

Yes, I bought another Craftsman L&Y A Class, this one destined to be EM gauge and if I don't screw it up, I'm going to try and change it from the very basic and totally rigid chassis it comes with to a compensated one which will mean judicious chopping and drilling, with little idea of what I am doing but bucketloads of enthusiasm. If it all goes belly up then no great loss as I have a spare chassis because after seeing Larry's use of the Bachmann C class chassis, the original is 80% through being converted and as such, the chassis it was built with is surplus to requirements (unsprung with rigid coupling rods, it was never going to be a good runner, not on what is basically a shunting layout).

What this means, of course, is that not only have I bought the kit but will now need to buy hornguides, coupling rods, etc.

I love this hobby.

But the fun comes in seeing it run at a show after YOU BUILT IT and people saying; IS THAT A Hornby? hhaha

That's when you loose it and SAY IN  A VERY LOUD VOICE;     ******  off

• RMweb Gold

I understand you not wanting to put in pictures yet but once they're complete... I'd love to see a few comparison shots of the different gauged locos... you know the sort of thing... front on, three quarter etc. Though I've admired lots of EM locos I've never had a chance to compare the looks side by side with the same loco in OO. But only if you get a chance :)

• RMweb Premium

But the fun comes in seeing it run at a show after YOU BUILT IT and people saying; IS THAT A Hornby? hhaha

That's when you loose it and SAY IN  A VERY LOUD VOICE;     ******  off

Even worse when they say "Oh it's not Hornby".

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52464-how-to-get-lynched-at-a-model-railway-show/?p=1268535