Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere pages and pages back, there is a comparison of two Comet bogies I built for my Black Fives; one in OO and one in EM. You wouldn't think that 1.7mm would make such a visible difference but it does !

• RMweb Gold

I do have a vague recollection of those. But weren't they just the bogies, or did you put comp pictures with them on the locos. I'll have a browse... but I may be some time (116 pages is a few to look through!) Nothing else to do while sat on a train on the WCML as I can't see anything out the window... it's more fun to travel when it's light"

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

Now I have bought two kits, it must surely be time for Bachmann to announce an A Class :D

It is the way of the world Jason. Scratchbuilders find kits released just after the model is complete. Kitbuilders find an RTR model announced before the paint on their kit is dry! Just remind yourself the pleasure is in getting there. A kit can take some time to put together enjoy the process and it is good value. Besides I am confident your models will run well have extra little details and have that personal touch.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Just remind yourself the pleasure is in getting there. A kit can take some time to put together enjoy the process and it is good value.

Tell that to Spams !!

( and keep repeating it until he believes you ! )

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Not yet, as I have been hacking it about to fit the C Class chassis into it.

Was looking at the instructions for the Pug this morning and it seems that I am now reaching the complex part, the brakes. Now with most kits the brakes are easy but there is over an A4 page of instructions for these, and the font is small.

• RMweb Premium

Tell that to Spams !!

( and keep repeating it until he believes you ! )

I'm enjoying every challenging, character-building moment Stu. Particularly enjoyable is pushing the rolling chassis and almost finished body up and down a length of PECO flexi making pushticup, pushticup, pushticup noises. I do have to keep reminding myself that it started out as a series of flat sheets and that it's me wot's made it. Joy!

Yes Andy, I have had that when exhibiting, asking where they could get a 0-4-4 Kirtley well tank in full Midland ,livery.  On another occasion I was told the cows in the cattle dock were too clean.  The worst was when a friend exhibiting his '0' gauge layout was asked where the key  fitter in a beautiful  kit built loco.

Derek

Changing the subject and back tracking.....To last month's Brm, offer my Congratulation's on your article, from another of your voter'shave read it today.

Next time, UKIP, or The Mill..............close call.......... :scratchhead: ............................ :drag:

An interesting photo of Bacup on page 607 of Backtrack mag, vol 28, no 10, Oct 2014. Hull based ivatt class 4, 43077 and Nuneaton based stanier class 5, 42946 (or so it says) in July 1963.

Both possibly ex Horwich running in turns -(both types which Horwich was responsible for)

An interesting photo of Bacup on page 607 of Backtrack mag, vol 28, no 10, Oct 2014. Hull based ivatt class 4, 43077 and Nuneaton based stanier class 5, 42946 (or so it says) in July 1963.

I think Jason has been there.  I'm sure he's the spotter sitting on top of the wall on the right hand side of the photo.

A few more shots. This was supposed to be a sort of 'day in the life' thing but I've ran out of time and some of the shots were blurry.

Anyway, here we go. Ivatt 46406 brings in a passenger service, places the carriages in the carriage sidings and then crosses over to the goods yard and picks up a couple of grain wagons. It then heads off to the shed, depositing the wagons at the grain warehouse on the way (the private sidings of which were opposite Bacup shed)

Adayinthelife003_zpsca265bc7.jpg

Adayinthelife011_zpsa9cfc483.jpg

Adayinthelife012_zps82cb44b7.jpg

Adayinthelife014_zpse582acc0.jpg

Some time later, 4F 43880 arrives with a short coal train and is seen simmering in the headshunt, next to a DMU.

Adayinthelife018_zps0d17a664.jpg

Awesome

That last shot, a real "catch a glimpse"

• Like 4