Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

• RMweb Gold

I completely missed seeing these in the flesh at the GCR show. Saw the back of Dave as he wandered past  but didnt realise he had brought them with him.

The photo a few posts back does look rather impressive and look forward ot receiving my set.

I completely missed seeing these in the flesh at the GCR show. Saw the back of Dave as he wandered past  but didnt realise he had brought them with him.

The photo a few posts back does look rather impressive and look forward ot receiving my set.

Sorry mate did you miss pronounce that........ Shouldn't it have been "glad to see the back of Dave as he wandered past"? Lol

• RMweb Gold

Sorry mate did you miss pronounce that........ Shouldn't it have been "glad to see the back of Dave as he wandered past"? Lol

The only people who might be glad to see the back of you are your competitors, I suggest. What you are doing for the market is very good news for most modellers in the smaller scales. Keep it up.

• Like 1

To Dave, Muz, Chris, and all the other chaps who, for over 5 years have kept their promise, have overcome setbacks we know nothing of, and are just finalising this project. my sincere expression of total admiration and thanks.

These two 4mm carriages would be significant in any larger scale, but at 4mm and r-t-r they are outstanding. Almost far too good to play with.

PB

Edited by Peter Bedding

The unpainted versions look incredible.

I was advised on the Hornby 58' LNC Coach topic that Gate Stock were used on the Padstow Bodmin duty during and possibly after WW II (1939-1947).  Does anyone have any more definitive information as to whether this was true, the livery (I need to finally select either K1001 SR Maunsell or K1002 SR Malachite livery), and whether these were used in push pull or just locomotive hauled.  If  O2's were used to haul, were they push pull fitted or not.  I was about to cancel both pre-orders when the Hornby announcement was made but decided on this bit of information to keep one but need advise on the livery. 

Also if true what were the set numbers?

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

The unpainted versions look incredible.

I was advised on the Hornby 58' LNC Coach topic that Gate Stock were used on the Padstow Bodmin duty during and possibly after WW II (1939-1947).  Does anyone have any more definitive information as to whether this was true, the livery (I need to finally select either K1001 SR Maunsell or K1002 SR Malachite livery), and whether these were used in push pull or just locomotive hauled.  If  O2's were used to haul, were they push pull fitted or not.  I was about to cancel both pre-orders when the Hornby announcement was made but decided on this bit of information to keep one but need advise on the livery. 

Also if true what were the set numbers?

The information I had on allocations and usage of the sets is as follows:

Seaton – Seaton Junction

Yeovil Town – Yeovil Junction (363, 373)

Lee-on-the-Solent – Fareham (374 up to 1930)

Ascot – Guildford (374)

Farnham – Guildford (374)

Bordon – Guildford (373)

Plymouth – Turnchapel (363, 373, 374)

Plymouth – St Budeaux – Tavistock (including Bere Alston - Callington non pull push mode) (363, 373, 374)

They saw railtour use during the 1950’s and have been recorded at Plymouth, Plymstock, Callington, Turnchaple, Exteter, Yeovil, Salisbury, Bisley, Bournemouth, Poole, and Swanage.

However as the information on the Hornby website you reference has originated from Mike King I would have no reason to doubt it, set num,ber wise it would have been any of the three sets as they were all seen in the south west during that period. The Wadebridge allocated 02s of the time, numbers 181 and 203, were not pull push fitted so it is likely therefore that such sets used on this route would have been loco hauled not pull push operated. 

With respect to liveries of the respective sets for the period of 1939 - 1947 I advise as follows: 

Set 363

Olive Green Livery 1933 to c1950

BR Crimson Livery with yellow and black waist lining c1950

Subsequent re-varnish in BR Crimson lining virtually hidden

Set 373

Olive Green Livery 1933 to c1947

SR unlined Malachite Green c1947 Standard SR LH number position

BR(s) Green (Likely heavily varnished Malachite) with appropriate SxxxxS number at the RH end of the waist

Set 374

Olive Green Livery 1933 to c1945

SR unlined Malachite Green c1945 Standard SR LH number position

• RMweb Gold

So no set 372? I'll add a post-it corrigendum in the book ...

David set number 372 was the original LSWR set number with wire and pulley pull push control system and was disbanded in 1929, but reformed and modified with standard Southern railway air control and four window style front end (the original LSWR front end had three windows) as set 363 in 1933.

Sets 373/4 were directly converted to Southern Railway air control system and four window front end in 1929/30.

It is for this reason that from this tooling an LSWR livery would not be authentic.

The information I had on allocations and usage of the sets is as follows:

Seaton – Seaton Junction

Yeovil Town – Yeovil Junction (363, 373)

Lee-on-the-Solent – Fareham (374 up to 1930)

Ascot – Guildford (374)

Farnham – Guildford (374)

Bordon – Guildford (373)

Plymouth – Turnchapel (363, 373, 374)

Plymouth – St Budeaux – Tavistock (including Bere Alston - Callington non pull push mode) (363, 373, 374)

They saw railtour use during the 1950’s and have been recorded at Plymouth, Plymstock, Callington, Turnchaple, Exteter, Yeovil, Salisbury, Bisley, Bournemouth, Poole, and Swanage.

However as the information on the Hornby website you reference has originated from Mike King I would have no reason to doubt it, set num,ber wise it would have been any of the three sets as they were all seen in the south west during that period. The Wadebridge allocated 02s of the time, numbers 181 and 203, were not pull push fitted so it is likely therefore that such sets used on this route would have been loco hauled not pull push operated. 

With respect to liveries of the respective sets for the period of 1939 - 1947 I advise as follows: 

Set 363

Olive Green Livery 1933 to c1950

BR Crimson Livery with yellow and black waist lining c1950

Subsequent re-varnish in BR Crimson lining virtually hidden

Set 373

Olive Green Livery 1933 to c1947

SR unlined Malachite Green c1947 Standard SR LH number position

BR(s) Green (Likely heavily varnished Malachite) with appropriate SxxxxS number at the RH end of the waist

Set 374

Olive Green Livery 1933 to c1945

SR unlined Malachite Green c1945 Standard SR LH number position

Graham

Thank you very much for the information. I am trying to rationalize a malachite set on the Bodmin Padstow service on order to go with an O2 on order. The mainland O2 without push pull will have to be stripped of BR emblems and lining and re-lettered SOUTHERN to represent a 1939-47 period engine.

I expect the Kernow gate stock will arrive long before the Hornby LNC coaches in 2016.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any news on likely availability date? It has been a loooong wait!

I have even dug out some old half built Roxey kits of LSWR coaches to keep my enthusiasm up! Dave on the Roxey stand at Railwells sent me some missing bits which arrived today. Well done Roxey.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone have any news on likely availability date? It has been a loooong wait!

I have even dug out some old half built Roxey kits of LSWR coaches to keep my enthusiasm up! Dave on the Roxey stand at Railwells sent me some missing bits which arrived today. Well done Roxey.

As always the best way to keep up to date is to subscribe to Kernow MRC's newsletter which is emailed almost every week, usually around lunchtime on a Friday. 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/99/newsletter

The EP sample pictures have been posted already.  If those samples are in order and require no further work the next step is livery samples and if those are OK the final step is production.  In most cases there are minor tweaks requested at every step in the process but based on the time between EP and delivery for the O2s I'd suggest the gate stock might be in our hands in the first quarter of 2016.

• 4 months later...

Kernow have just sold me three ex LSWR push-pull gate sets in the following liveries: Maunsell green, BR crimson and BR green.

There is a black and white picture of M7 30057 with set 373 in summer 1960 on page 250 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B.L. Jackson and published by the Oakwood Press. The caption says that the set was considered for preservation but it was broken up in November 1960.

I was interested to read in Graham Muz's post that set 373 was probably in heavily varnished Southern malachite green livery rather than BR coach green. I always find his posts very informative. 

Edited by Robin Brasher

• RMweb Gold

Kernow have just sent me three ex LSWR push-pull gate sets in the following liveries: Maunsell green, BR crimson and BR green.

Firstly, thanks for your kind comments about my posts, I glad they are appreciated.

Secondly, you use the word 'Sent' I assume you mean 'sold / you have pre ordered' as they gate stock sets are not in production yet. Kernow have received the first EPs and these are under review and a number of corrections are in progress (which is the purpose of the EPs)

• RMweb Gold

Robin

I can assure you that the gate stock has not yet gone into production so must be an error on the shipping note / interpretation somehow.

The gate stocks sets as being produced by Kernow are in the SR condition post 1930's with the standard SR style 4 window front and therefore not correct for LSWR style with the original 3 front window style and livery so would indeed be 'sacrilege' 

It is intended that the BR green version of 373 will represent the correct livery for the period (including the steel plating), a darker green than newly applied malachite due to the multiple re-varnishing with the BR numbers in the correct location.

I don't know who took the picture in B.L. Jackson's book of set 373 as the caption says "author's collection". From the picture it looks like the set is in a high gloss finish as Swanage station platform is reflected on the lower panels of the coaches. The set seems to be in a lighter shade than the set of what look like Maunsell coaches in the passing loop behind.

• 3 weeks later...