DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

Dare i say it, with this good looking machine coming soon (i like the look of it in DRS), the Colas 70s on their way, and 88s in the UKs future, i'm starting to like 'the modern scene' again now there's some variation other than mostly sheds. I'm hoping these get used on the Norwich-Yarmouth drags and DMU replacements.

On the 88, is there any artists impressions out there yet or is it really going to be the same in apperance as the 68 but with a pan? (Has anyone suggested a euro-tunnel friendly version of it yet? ;) )

On the 88, is there any artists impressions out there yet or is it really going to be the same in apperance as the 68 but with a pan? (Has anyone suggested a euro-tunnel friendly version of it yet? ;) )

If I remember correctly the 68 and 88 will use the same bodyshell, so will indeed look broadly the same.

Chri

• 2 weeks later...

After 231 posts, this topic title is still incorrect.

"DRS orders Vossloh Eurolights" should read "DRS orders Vossloh UKLights".

Now, here is a photo that clearly shows the difference between the front end of the Class 68 UKLight and that of its EuroLight brother.

EuroLight on the left - UKLight (Class 68) on the right.

Now, here is a photo that clearly shows the difference between the front end of the Class 68 UKLight and that of its EuroLight brother.

Difference - they fitted the diodes that control the lights the wrong way round?

Stewart

We've definately scored the less ugly of the 2.

Title Duly changed, I didn't realise my mistake!

Going by the size of the windscreens it looks as though the Eurolight driver sits in the middle, and the UK driver sits at the left.

It is standard that drivers in the UK always sit either on or towards the left hand side of the cab, as viewed from inside facing out

Simon

Here's a link to another photo, posted on a well know rail enthusiast forum.

The UKLight leads the EuroLight at the front of a freight train.

You can clearly see that the UIC gauge EuroLight is both taller and wider than the slimmer UKLight (a.k.a. Class 68).

Link here.

p.s. The driver appears to be in the middle, I think?

The track is Tillig Elite with concrete sleepers in H0.

It is standard that drivers in the UK always sit either on or towards the left hand side of the cab, as viewed from inside facing out

Simon

It was the European version that I was wondering about. I have seen drivers sitting to one side in other countries, and although TGV drivers sit in the middle I didn't realise freight loco drivers did so.

It was the European version that I was wondering about. I have seen drivers sitting to one side in other countries, and although TGV drivers sit in the middle I didn't realise freight loco drivers did so.

It's relatively common on German trains, even on some that have a central windscreen pillar.

Here's the interior of the well known 1950s "Uerdinger" class of railbus - the driving position is only slightly offset from centre so the driver can see around the pillar. Unlike the British classes derived from it, these railbuses have an open saloon with no cab.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forest_pines/8285948990/in/set-72157627587980925/

If you look closely, you can see that this TRAXX loco has basically the same driving position - slightly offset to the right of centre.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forest_pines/8172015137/in/set-72157627587980925/

IIRC the HST prototypes were built with a central driving position but it was pointed out that there was no room for an instructor in the cab to teach the driver how to drive it!

I wonder how the European railways get round that one?

It was more that ASLEF insisted on there being a second man on any train travelling at over 100 mph. When the driving position is central, there's space (at least on the things I've been in the cab of) on either side for a trainer (or more likely a Traction Inspector or trainée) to stand, and usually a 'dicky seat'/strapontin on the bulkhead for them to sit on.

The most curious arrangement I've seen is on the SNCF centre-cab electrics, dating from the mid-1950s. They had four driving positions (left and right hand in both directions, depending on the local tradition), but originally no seat, so the driver had to stand. OK for local trips, but not on a Somain- Le Bourget working.

• RMweb Premium

Although I'm not the biggest fan of this design it is nevertheless splendid to see a new locomotive for the UK which has had some attention paid to aesthetics after the even-a-mother-couldn't-love-it hideousness of the Class 70 and the not entirely unatractive but uninspired Class 66 design. Bring back the old BR design panel! The Class 60 still looks a more modern and coherent design than any UK loco that has followed until these Vossloh designs.

Archived