DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I think that's a great looking design, and the livery complements it very well. The only feature that spoils it for me is the handrail on the corner of the nose - can't quite see the point of it but I am sure there is one!

Let's just hope it works as well as it looks...!

Cheers

Ben A.

Of (what seems like) the Heinz 57 varieties of the DRS livery(s), this has to be the best looking yet.

A far cry from the amateurish early large compass attempts, which looked like they'd contracted the job to some cheap backstreet sign writer.

IMHO this is a much more professional job.

As for the look and styling of the loco, it's just an evolution of the typical shape and styling of most of the locos coming from the Vossloh spanish stable. The current crop which are based around the larger Euro 4000 Co-Co model; from which the smaller EuroLight and UKLight are derived.

Personally, I think they've done a better job on the styling of the front end of the Class 68 (UKLight,) than that on the EuroLight on which it's based. YMMV ?

• RMweb Premium

If you step on the last step just above the buffer and use the upper handrail next to the window you are pretty much covered. Of course you can use it to access the wipers too.

Don't get caught riding on the outside of it then as you'd probably be sacked! ;)

Gents

It's ironic that my first post on RMweb should be on this topic. I work for DRS as a driver at Carlisle, and on Sunday I am lucky enough to be one of six drivers travelling out to the Vossloh plant in Valencia to be trained on the class 68's, when we are out there we will be putting together the training course which will be used to train other DRS drivers back in the UK. I will be instructing other DRS drivers on the 68's next year and also driving the 68's during their UK trials. Whilst I'm out in Valencia I intend taking plenty of pictures and will post a link to them on the forum when I get back.

Dale   

Gents

It's ironic that my first post on RMweb should be on this topic. I work for DRS as a driver at Carlisle, and on Sunday I am lucky enough to be one of six drivers travelling out to the Vossloh plant in Valencia to be trained on the class 68's, when we are out there we will be putting together the training course which will be used to train other DRS drivers back in the UK. I will be instructing other DRS drivers on the 68's next year and also driving the 68's during their UK trials. Whilst I'm out in Valencia I intend taking plenty of pictures and will post a link to them on the forum when I get back.

Dale   

Hi Dale,

I'm sure you are going to be a most welcome addition here on RMweb.  We shall all look forward to information and updates on these new locos.

Looking forward to your forthcoming pictures as well.

Bob

Gents

Dale   

Don't get in trouble with your bosses though!

I my opinion this latest incarnation of the DRS livery looks naff, it certainly isn't what I'd expect from a FOC who takes their image seriously. It looks like it was designed by someone trigger-happy with Adobe Illustrator filters, who is more used to creating nightclub posters than corporate liveries!  DB, Freightliner and Colas have far smarter and professional looking liveries.

Hopefully the Class 68 is mechanically more successful than the Class 70! If nothing else it'll add variety for the modern modeller/photographer.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose we should be thankful that it doesn't look like something from an Ann Summers catalogue like the Pendolino.

It still looks like a rounded off skip to me though.

At the end of the day, these are modern times where us old timers have to forget about anything that looked like a locomotive from the good ole days!

• RMweb Premium

I like the look of this loco after all it has a job to do and is not in a fashion parade,when is the first one rriving in the UK?

Comments earlier in the thread suggest that they will be here mid / late spring 2014.

Hi,

Having seen it all painted up, I do really like the look of it from the front / three-quarters views, it actaully looks like the models / drawings produced before it was built, unlike the class 70!

However, having seen the side view of it, the bogies really don't look right, to my eye, it looks like they are mounted to far away from the loco ends, I don't like all the daylight! but that's my own opinion, but otherwise they look like a fine loco and hopefully DRS should do well with them

Now, whens the Dapol model coming out? :tomato:  :P

Simon

Archived