Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photo.

Sad to see it gone but hopefully its all for the good with increased flexibility and a new depot.

If only I had won the £61m Euromillions I would have North box dismantled and rebuilt somewhere else.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photo.

Sad to see it gone but hopefully its all for the good with increased flexibility and a new depot.

If only I had won the £61m Euromillions I would have North box dismantled and rebuilt somewhere else.

Would make great building to display your layouts

• RMweb Gold

I woke up early this morning. For some reason I was lying in bed thinking about block detection.

I may make a start in the next few weeks to install it in the fiddleyard as I have one block detection unit.

My plan is to keep it simple for now with no separate blocks for slowing down trians at the ends of platforms but allow this to be added at a later time.

What I do need to do is to add resistance wheels to some of the wagons in the long block trains so a few experiments on adding surface mount resistors to the axles.

Dapol Mk3's should be easy as they already have pick ups.

If any one has already done something similar then I will be interested to hear.

I have one of these to try out

http://www.digikeijs.com/dr4088ln-2r-16-channels-s88n-feedback-module-with-l-net.html

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Better picture of the station without the South Box taken yesterday evening post blockade.

post-19340-0-61239000-1470733025_thumb.jpg

The first train into the depot albeit only the reception and departure road exist at the moment was 68012

post-19340-0-03575100-1470733038_thumb.jpg

Complete train on the Departure Road Loco , seven coaches and DVT, signalling recoveries are still due as you can see.

post-19340-0-55004200-1470733149_thumb.jpg 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Better picture of the station without the South Box taken yesterday evening post blockade.

attachicon.gifBanbury South Signal Box 8 August.jpg

The first train into the depot albeit only the reception and departure road exist at the moment was 68012

attachicon.gifdepot 68012.jpg

Complete train on the Departure Road Loco , seven coaches and DVT, signalling recoveries are still due as you can see.

attachicon.gifBanbury Departure Road.jpg

So looking at the photos I guess that there is now just one carriage siding (departure road) until the depot is completed?

Also looks like new platform lighting? EDIT - just seen photos on Big Jims thread and thye look the old ones.

Edited by roundhouse

There is a Depot Departure road (Where the Slam Door Stock is being stabled) and a Depot Reception Road, Both are seperate sidings currently and not connected to each other.

Platform lights havent changed apart from the top end of platform 3 where the new platform 4 is.

TBH the whole station lights could do with having the white lights fitted to it.

Mark

Edited by Markmiller2008

• RMweb Gold

the picture of the 68 arriving into the depot road highlights one of my concerns about the new signals, well that one in particular as it happens!

if you notice you can see the signal plate OL7112 but immediatly below it is an arrow and 15mph board, now when i passed that on the up on monday i looked accross and saw what at a glance looked like the arrow was pointing towards the road the signal applied to (as the signals at the north end have) i'd even convinced myself the maps i have were wrong but that pic shows the signals on the map are correctly positioned but the arrow plate is misleading

Just been working through the various posts, and was amazed to see that there is a new major flow through Banbury - or at least that is what I assumed when I caught a reference to a 60 hauling tea tankers! Tetley must be on the up, or possibly its Yorkshire tea!

Now, if I can just find where the cider express or the pasty excursion trains are running, it'll be the Great Train Robbery all over again.

• RMweb Gold

Just been working through the various posts, and was amazed to see that there is a new major flow through Banbury - or at least that is what I assumed when I caught a reference to a 60 hauling tea tankers! Tetley must be on the up, or possibly its Yorkshire tea!

Now, if I can just find where the cider express or the pasty excursion trains are running, it'll be the Great Train Robbery all over again.

You have to have it black as there is no milk workings these days.

The tank working was Northbound only three days a week in the afternoon but it did stop a few years ago unless its recommenced.

You have to have it black as there is no milk workings these days.

The tank working was Northbound only three days a week in the afternoon but it did stop a few years ago unless its recommenced.

Not that I'm aware of. The Theale - Lindsey empties. M W FO - more often a 66 than a 60

I agree with you Jim, I think the speed sign and arrow shouldn't be attached to the signal.

Funny that our H&S walk about didn't pick that up!

Mark an Jim thanks for raising this the concerns over this have have been passed onto the relevant people

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

i have decided to amend the thread title as the layout is now an historical one.

No updates on the layout at present as I have been busy on the HO scale US layout.

However the layout will be at the Beckenham show in later October and the last outings this year will be Tolworth and Wakefield in November.

A slightly busier schedule for next year including a couple of trips to the North West. More on those nearer the time.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

Mark an Jim thanks for raising this the concerns over this have have been passed onto the relevant people

Mark and Jim just to update you the speed board is going to be removed from the signal and placed on the back of the 5 mph board to resolve any confusion thanks again for pointing it out

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good I reported it 2 weeks ago following a conversation with a driver

wasn't me was it?

without going too much o/t but another farcical thing about the new signalling is you are unable to make a reverse move on the up goods any more, ok its not a common thing to do but the other week with a test train we recorded the goods and had to head north, to get back i had to head south to pretty much the M40 bridge to get behind the bi-di signal to cross over and come back north, the biggest issue being a lack of any form of safe walking route along the length of the then 5 coach train, of course with there being major ground works going on it was a bit dodgy underfoot to say the least!

i did report it and lets hope some sort of path is added in the future

wasn't me was it?

without going too much o/t but another farcical thing about the new signalling is you are unable to make a reverse move on the up goods any more, ok its not a common thing to do but the other week with a test train we recorded the goods and had to head north, to get back i had to head south to pretty much the M40 bridge to get behind the bi-di signal to cross over and come back north, the biggest issue being a lack of any form of safe walking route along the length of the then 5 coach train, of course with there being major ground works going on it was a bit dodgy underfoot to say the least!

i did report it and lets hope some sort of path is added in the future

It was with a Chiltern driver when we were stuck at Banbury depot Junction due to a tree falling at harbury. We saw an up train running through the down relief and then crossing over at the depot junction, but the up train stopped at the signal referred to above. The driver on my train explained why it was confusing. In the following days I got it raised with the nr team.

I agree about the move you referenced frustrating that it is not signalled and the lack of walking route. I don't think one is planned sadly

• RMweb Gold

We briefly stopped off at Banbury yesterday. The Northern Belle had just arrived.

The main reason for a brief detour off the M40 was to see North box for one last time as it is due to be demolished this werkend.

Goodbye Banbury North Box

post-1557-0-80877900-1475910897_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-23929900-1475910908_thumb.jpg

• Like 3