Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

The YouChoos sound decoder arrived yesterday and this morning I had the body off the Dapol Super Voyager. I then realised that this unit has never been cleaned in the 5 years it has trundled round the layout but apart from a bit of fluff (probably Woodland scenics) the wheels were still clean.

A little bit of cutting the weights to fit it is required tonight then trim the sugar cube box etc. but it should all be working y the morning ready to be loaded into the car for our trip to Devon.

• RMweb Gold

Make sure it's not too loud Ian.....you may get told to be quiet!  :haha:

I will have my programming track with me to  turn it down (or up). Difficult to judge the sound levels till in a venue.

We will also have a few of Gordon D's locos with sound but most of the stock is non sound.

Jonas - Yes I will post a few photos tonight.

A bit more progress tonight despite the having to spend some time to fix the garage door alarm that broke when I opened the garage door!

First photo shows the lamp mounted on the building and an unused post lying between the disused rails. Three other lampposts have been fixed on the next board.

attachicon.gif20130701_211553-picsay.jpg

Another task was to fit one of the Dapol magnets under the black crossing. This meant removing the section between the rails, and the sleepers and cork before packing thr magnet and thrn fitting a thinner piece of black styrene over the magnet. The operators side of the rail has bern painted yellow so we know which tracks have the magnets. Once this has had a weekend of use at DEMU, and if all works OK then other tracks will be treated the same.

attachicon.gif20130701_211537-picsay.jpg

Work has continued to on the cattle dock. Using a piece of styrene as a spacer and masking tape along the last line scored, and the next drainage groove is scored. The masking tape has lifted some of the paint but that can soon be rectified. Next task will be to scribe the angled grooves hence the angle on the piece of styrene

attachicon.gif20130701_211630-picsay.jpg

Cattle dock?, i did not know there was one still there, is it still used as i thought all cattle where moved by road now?.

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Banbury had a large livetsock trade with cattle pens between the current station and the long gone Merton Road terminus. Two of the cattle docks still survive but long out of use. One is used as a Permanent way store and the other has a fence along the top separating off the Royal Mail depot and the DMU storage sidings.

Banbury had a large livetsock trade with cattle pens between the current station and the long gone Merton Road terminus. Two of the cattle docks still survive but long out of use. One is used as a Permanent way store and the other has a fence along the top separating off the Royal Mail depot and the DMU storage sidings.

Ian,

Used to have the wash down concrete apron alongside the post office, i assume it may be removed under the remodelling works.

I have some photos somewhere

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Used to have the wash down concrete apron alongside the post office, i assume it may be removed under the remodelling works.

I have some photos somewhere

It was still there last time I visited.

WIll be interesting to see whats changed since then.

• RMweb Gold

A final little bit of tinkering with the Dapol  Super Voyager sound installation.

Here's a photo of it all just about squeezed in. Excuse the messy workbench but quite a few HO scale US locos having sound and ditch lights fitted.

The right hand weight has had a section cut off to allow space for the Zimo MX648F decoder to fit in.

On the left hand side the Sugar cube has Ben glued and taped (whilst setting and also to insulate the wires to the speakers) onto a styrene up stand either side of the drive shaft. It's tight and set pressent it ever so slightly rubs on the flywheel to drive shaft section but it will probably be OK after a little running in otherwise I it'll file a small amount off the sugar cube baffle box.

Volume turned down but it can also be controlled with a few of the higher numbered functions.

That's a it for now as soon the stock and DCC will be loaded into the car.

post-1557-0-88540500-1469770268_thumb.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Plans for Banbury re-modelling/resignalling are:

Down bay platform to be taken out of use

Up goods line to slew across to where current stabling sidings are . New Up platform (short length) at the North end of the existing up platform with the line serving it taking the space currently occupied by the Up goods

Current Up Stabling sidings to be removed completely , with a new depot for Chiltern Trains to be constructed on the site of the former Banbury steam shed

Colour light signalling throughout , with all platform lines being signalled bi-directionally

Plans for Banbury re-modelling/resignalling are:

Down bay platform to be taken out of use

Up goods line to slew across to where current stabling sidings are . New Up platform (short length) at the North end of the existing up platform with the line serving it taking the space currently occupied by the Up goods

Current Up Stabling sidings to be removed completely , with a new depot for Chiltern Trains to be constructed on the site of the former Banbury steam shed

Colour light signalling throughout , with all platform lines being signalled bi-directionally

When the railway reopens on the 8th August trains will be stabled on the depot reception and departure roads which will completed during the blockade. Work on the depot site will follow

Plus the slam door set will now only serve Banbury on a Friday afternoon. As the place it's being stored on a night in one of the new depot roads, doesn't have access to any of the platforms at the moment, so it will be starting and terminating at Bicester North. It will only continue on to Banbury in service, on a Friday night as it will return to Wembley for the weekend maintenance.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Pauls 47 had a run on the layout yesterday after doing al title programming or it.

We had a few NSE trains running yesterday to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Network South East.

We had a great spot in th Bar staple show. The layout ran well despite the human input to disrupt it! I had a fair few mistakes.

Sad to hear that the South a Box had already been largely demolished yesterday so here is a photo of the smaller one that has now outlived the real one.

The new white boards for putting the loco decoder addresses on are now semi permanently monuted in place. We are also using the marked within JMRI to show the decoder addresses on screen. Once black detection is installed these markers will follow the train round the layout.

Next show for the layout is Beckenham in October

post-1557-0-92991400-1469949838_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-12583800-1469949859_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2