Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

In fifty years time they will be rueing the day that it was not saved. With the levers out downstairs could be a relay room ( for whatever goes in the grey boxes nowadays instead of relays) and upstairs would make an iconic trainspotter's café and Tizer store. There can't be that many 'boxes left big enough to put a café in nowadays.

• RMweb Premium

In fifty years time they will be rueing the day that it was not saved. With the levers out downstairs could be a relay room ( for whatever goes in the grey boxes nowadays instead of relays) and upstairs would make an iconic trainspotter's café and Tizer store. There can't be that many 'boxes left big enough to put a café in nowadays.

Totnes up platform has one. Highly rated by some rmwebbers. Haven't been there myself yet but on my list of to dos

I think it would be an ideal location to put a model railway on permanent display. Now I wonder which one would be best? ... Ah! yes, ...

A brilliant suggestion. Shame the powers that be in Nr don't think of these kind of things.

There was the option to save it, but NR wanted a contingency fund in place so that it have maintenance done on it to keep it safe for X number of years. This fund included building a safe walkway coming off the bridge so people could access it without walking off the end of the platform.

Unfortunately the amount wasnt reached, but it brought it some time to be used for tours for a month. NR then bought 2 containers, for the group to store all of the parts that NR hadnt removed first, so they can keep other boxes going. These other parts will be used in the Banbury museum, in the box at Princes Risborough, or at the place where they are talking of rebuilding it.

NR arent in the business of heritage and with 5 other boxes on the Network, of the same type as Banbury North, that are still working daily, you can sort of understand why they havent saved this one.

Alistair

• Like 1

We briefly stopped off at Banbury yesterday. The Northern Belle had just arrived.

The main reason for a brief detour off the M40 was to see North box for one last time as it is due to be demolished this werkend.

Goodbye Banbury North Box

The demolition has been put back but I do not know the new date.

Banbury North box sure is busy this evening with visitors.

Just a half hour waiting to change trains.

It's beer time now. Heading to Warwick then Birmingham

The number of visitors was in the region of 3500. That's the total I hasten to add, not just on the 30th! You should have come up to hear me bore people rigid on the working of the box!

• RMweb Gold

The number of visitors was in the region of 3500. That's the total I hasten to add, not just on the 30th! You should have come up to hear me bore people rigid on the working of the box!

But haven't we done that already!!

Great days when we used to travel the country visiting such places.

Busy scanning a lot of those trips over numerous Sundays when we actually get to be at home. Must send you the photos.

Whilst South box was nice North box was immaculate. If only I could have won big time on the lottery

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

This Saturday we have the Beckenham show. The first show forvte layout since end of July.

This show will also be the first time that the new Revolution TEA tankers will get chance for a run. All 21 should be weathered in time as just six left to do. Some have the Dapol fixed knuckle and if these prove successful then the rest will be converted except for the one next to the loco which has a Dapol Easi Shunt coupler and the rear one a plastic screwlink and working tail light.

A number of Farish 66s have had their motors replaced so will be good to see them running again.

Also a few Farish 66s have had the lower part of the buffer beam and pipes added as they run in one direction at the head of a train. A number of 66s retain coupling both ends for shunting or double heading.

Just need to clean the cobwebs off the layout.

• Like 3

Hi

I take it, the next time you take a photo of the signal box, it will just be gravelled over flat, and we will be wondering what is this photo suppose to be of...lol cant wait to see that photo.

Great work as always

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

jamie

I hope to pay another visit next Friday so will see whats still there.

Tonight the layout is loaded ready for the short trip to the Beckenham show.

The Revolution tankers are now in the stock box slots that the Farish tankers used to be. However one slight problem. I only had 20 Farish ones so now need to find space for the extra Revolution tanker!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A good day with the layout at the Beckenham show. What a wonderful amount of space had behind the layout that we had. So much better than when we are very tight for space.

I spent more of the show talking to visitors and exhibitors that I definitely need the pint that I am now drinking with such a sore throat. What a superb day. Probably just aswell I didn't do to much operating as I certainly had the biggest mess up with the up line blocked with trains going wrong road into the fiddleyard etc.

Anyway a few photos of the new Revolution tanker train. Not the best shots as they are a little blurred and I didn't get chance for a second attempt. Hopefully Phil video will be better.

post-1557-0-32917600-1477159127_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-81235600-1477159140_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-80367300-1477159150_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A good day with the layout at the Beckenham show. What a wonderful amount of space had behind the layout that we had. So much better than when we are very tight for space.

When I saw the layout today there were very few others watching. Considering it was by far the best layout in the show, I expected to see far more people watching it. I was not too bothered by the operating errors, mainly because I don't think I could do better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting the TEA pics - they look great! Unfortunately I can't make it down to Beckenham to see for myself.

Thanks for that link. I had heard the item on Radio 4 but didn't realise a TV version had been put together too.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I saw the layout today there were very few others watching. Considering it was by far the best layout in the show, I expected to see far more people watching it. I was not too bothered by the operating errors, mainly because I don't think I could do better.

We did have quite a few watching at times but as with many smaller shows there are quiet times. Odd ly we had a godo crowd right up unitl closing time.

Ben - good job you arent making the trip today as it was just a one day show bein in a church!

The TEA s performed well and the short fixed Dapol knuckle couplers were fine on 11.5 inch radius curves so this morning I swapped all the rapido couplers over to these leaving just the Dapol Easi Shunt for coupling ot the locos.

I even had my new Farish  standard 4 tank pulling a permananet way trian before it took over railtour duties. A very nice model. One day it will see service on a South western 1960's layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Much better than my photos.

When I had the rear TEA on the workbench I took many shots to try and capture the tail light flashing but didn't get one. The video should show it up though.

Banbury is due to take a trip to the Wakefield Model Railway Show 18/19/20 th November. Thornes Park Sports Centre.

Looking forward to the show.

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Much better than my photos.

When I had the rear TEA on the workbench I took many shots to try and capture the tail light flashing but didn't get one. The video should show it up though.

Looking forward to the show.

Here's the video

http://youtu.be/sb8ukNSmhR0

Edited by hawkingetippyd
  • Like 2