Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

Well it would be good if you could recall just where and back this up with something of substance, because given a) the expense of laser scanning for mainstream models B) the adequacy of the current Bachmann model and c) the (slim) possibility of competition from Heljan, a new Deltic from Barwell is as unlikely as an unlikely thing IMHO

Hello, I think this must be the quote your thinking of, from the Dapol Western thread

DapolDave

• photo-thumb-1144.jpg
  • email_open.png user_add.png
  • Dapol
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 538 posts

• LocationChirk but living in Liverpool for my sins

625]

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:02

star_big.png

POPULAR

Hi guys,

I'll put up some more cad.cams tomorrow leaving out the handrails to see if the curve is any easier to spot.

Meanwhile the measurements given earlier were great.

However I think I'll ask the cad designer to supply some across body measurements at various heights for the cad and see what you guys think.

Certainly I'm beginning to think that there is a curve just not enough.

As for a 55? It has been laser scanned by someone in the last 6 months.

Cheers

Dave

(appologies not sure how to quote properly)

Wild Boar Fell

No, no PMC youve missed the point. minor revisions of the deltic make perfect sense

Not surprising, is it - Blade mentions laser scanning, now you're talking about minor revisions - why would minor revisions warrant laser scanning :scratchhead:

but i would put the class 25 ahead of it if you want to talk about an all new version.

So would I, which is another reason why I think a new Bachy Deltic is unlikely.

I may get slapped down for this...but what the heck. Why does the Bachmann Deltic need upgrading?

There is the odd issue with it Simon - nose shape apparently and the printed rather than moulded access panel detail along the body bottom, but none of it bothers me. Not that I object to others being bothered of course, but as for 'needing upgrade', no, not IMO. Really I think this is an excellent example of why Coach gets frustrated with endless calls for retools of diesels that arent 110% right.

Guest Max Stafford

The only really jarring issue with the Deltic from my perception is the slightly tip toed look of the bogies. I suppose this could be remedied but then that would impact on its ability to negotiate the smaller radius curves.

Which is a shame.

Dave.

Not surprising, is it - Blade mentions laser scanning, now you're talking about minor revisions - why would minor revisions warrant laser scanning :scratchhead:

I think we're getting a bit off topic. The 55 isn't bad, but could well benefit from a revision, especially thinking about what can be done to improve it (see my blog if at all interested). Laser scanning is a means (possibly not the only means) to accurately capture a complex shape... and given the offerings so far, the 55's shape has been quite a challenge. The work that's gone into the Dapol Western is to be commended (off topic I know)... so there's no reason why a reworking of an exiting model wouldn't be well received if "correct".

The only really jarring issue with the Deltic from my perception is the slightly tip toed look of the bogies. I suppose this could be remedied but then that would impact on its ability to negotiate the smaller radius curves.

Which is a shame.

Dave.

Yup... easily rectified... again per my workbench blog. It will limit the bogie rotation... the more you lower them, the more restricting... but the body thinning on the inside does help.

Jon

I think we're getting a bit off topic. The 55 isn't bad, but could well benefit from a revision, especially thinking about what can be done to improve it (see my blog if at all interested). Laser scanning is a means (possibly not the only means) to accurately capture a complex shape... and given the offerings so far, the 55's shape has been quite a challenge. The work that's gone into the Dapol Western is to be commended (off topic I know)... so there's no reason why a reworking of an exiting model wouldn't be well received if "correct".

I'm looking at your Flickr account now - certainly does open up a whole new perspective for me on the Deltics.

The Western's discrepancies in the Heljan, Lima and Hornby models are well versed and easily identifiable. I can see where the Bachmann Deltic falls down from your shots, but I wonder if retooling it after fitting it with DCC sound last year is even a viable option to those at Barwell.

I hope I'm not demeaning your excellent modelling (and it truly is excellent, a masterclass frankly, and anyone who hasn't seen your Flickr account who likes Deltics should do so NOW) when I say I'm not wholly convinced by the argument that the Bachmann Deltic "needs" retooling right at this moment in time. It's still by far the best Deltic on the market with a proven chassis, and only recently tooled up to accomodate DCC sound.

I think after the 37's refresh - where I note not everyone has found the latest incarnation to be their cup of tea - "refreshing" models should be left for a bit, at least until Bachmann's planned and promised class 40 is released.

I think after the 37's refresh - where I note not everyone has found the latest incarnation to be their cup of tea - "refreshing" models should be left for a bit, at least until Bachmann's planned and promised class 40 is released.

A 40 gets my vote... I've a cupboard of 55s awaiting some "modelling"... so a retool would be nice, but not the top of my list. A 40 and some Mk2ds however..! :D

Thanks for the comments byw.

With reference to the laser scanned Deltic, I can't remember where I heard it but it may well have been during some Deltic related day out or on the yahoo group.

Can't say I am too fussy about a new loco, the Class 25 and Class 40 updated would be probably be a bigger draw.

Hello,

Slightly off topic I know, but I'me not sure the deltic is from Bachmann, did anyone see the small sample catalogue cover late last year on Hornby's website, there was a big blue diesel (class 55), makes sense, goes with there new eastern region stuff. If not its likely to be Heljan, but laser scanning seems unusual for them.

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

So would I, which is another reason why I think a new Bachy Deltic is unlikely.

There is the odd issue with it Simon - nose shape apparently and the printed rather than moulded access panel detail along the body bottom, but none of it bothers me. Not that I object to others being bothered of course, but as for 'needing upgrade', no, not IMO. Really I think this is an excellent example of why Coach gets frustrated with endless calls for retools of diesels that arent 110% right.

And Coach is not alone in his frustration. As he says, when there are hundreds at least of things that have never been modelled, why should retoolings of that which already exists take precedence?

The one no one has mentioned is a guaranteed announcement. A shiny new catalogue with a photo of a real loco on the front which will be inside the catalogue as a new model :).

Indeed. Here's one for the 'detectives'....

http://www.modelrail...Catalogue-2012/

Not much of a clue there, even with the tantalizing bit of platform shelter on the left. Though we could confidently say "New steam locomotive for Bachmann in 2012/13 - it has a chimney!" :no:

EDIT: Dead end. We need an image that actually is the 2012/13 catalogue.

Extrapolations: Bluebell, SVR or pre-grouping?

Might be the Severn Valley's turn this year to be featured.

A set of station buildings (Highley?) to go with Highley signal box already released (44-044)

Maybe a Stanier Mogul, who knows even a Caley 812 0-6-0 (visited there last year) or a GWR large prairie to compete with Hornby's ex-Airfix version.

If their planned SECR C 0-6-0 sells well in their pre-grouping livery, Bachmann has an opportunity to create a market for pre-grouping locos being produced especially if they're preserved and carry attractive pre-grouping liveries.

I love the way we take a single datapoint and extrapolate it in multiple directions. Three of these appeal.

Bachmann announced two Bluebell locomotives and Sheffield Park station Scenecraft buildings recently, therefore:

1. they'll do more Bluebell locomotives, or ...

2. they're done with Bluebell now and they'll switch to the Severn Valley Railway for inspiration, or ...

3. they did City of Truro and the MR compound for the NRM and the SECR C class, so they'll do more pre-grouping

Each of these is equally plausible (or implausible) and I think they're fun ideas. If any of these ideas does pan out I think the outcome would be well received.

I already made a post on the remaining Bluebell locomotives.

Extraplolating on No 3 is my venture that we'll see another pre-grouping 4-4-0 for the NRM in 2014 - like a D11 or D15.

That leaves No 2 - the SVR. What's special at the SVR that at least some people would like to see RTR? Apart from the fact that any of the stations and bridges would make delightful Scenecraft structures ... Churchward toplight coaches! (OK, I'm wishlisting, and I'm sorry, but maybe they might?) I wonder how those Collett coaches with shirtbuttons are selling?

Indeed. Here's one for the 'detectives'....

http://www.modelrail...Catalogue-2012/

That chimney top on the front page of the Bachmann catalogue seriously reminds me of <snip>

I will be totally wrong and it'll be the as yet unreleased C Class, mind. :)

Actually I fooled myself, and Simon, you're totally right. The chimney on the top of the linked image above is from last year's cover with a doctored date. It is the C class! :scratchhead:

So much for that clue!!

• RMweb Gold

That's the thing y'see. We've started frothing far too early, and with six weeks to go we've run out of things to say :boast:

...then we need to be more creative... think out of the box...blue sky thinking - hang on here's an idea!

How about a Scenecraft airport range? A Gatwick or Stansted perhaps :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Just discovered that the line that's now part of the Severn Valley Railway is 150 years old this year http://www.bbc.co.uk...cester-16790743

Manufacturers love anniversaries.

Think this year of Hornby's Queen's Diamond Jubilee train set featuring 46201 Princess Elizabeth and train pack with 70000 Britannia and Mk3 royal train carriages,

Bachmann's released and forthcoming models of Sheffield Park station, C and Dukedog for Bluebell Railway's 50th anniversary in 2010

I don't know if Bachmann's planning anything modelwise related to the royal jubilee but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

That's the thing y'see. We've started frothing far too early, and with six weeks to go we've run out of things to say :boast:

No Pennine. Plenty to say, but it's all repeats :sungum:

Did I mention BR(LM) period III push pull set and BR(WR) non corridors, as well as any number of BR steel carriers ?

Thought I did.

Just discovered that the line that's now part of the Severn Valley Railway is 150 years old this year http://www.bbc.co.uk...cester-16790743

Think this year of Hornby's Queen's Diamond Jubilee train set featuring 46201 Princess Elizabeth and train pack with 70000 Britannia and Mk3 royal train carriages,

Bachmann's released and forthcoming models of Sheffield Park station, C and Dukedog for Bluebell Railway's 50th anniversary in 2010

I don't know if Bachmann's planning anything modelwise related to the royal jubilee but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Sorted then - GW 43XX or 'Manor' re-tooled plus a 15XX pannier and another GW signalbox (Bridgnorth perhaps?).

Good thinking, but with Highley already in the range I think it'd be another line's box they'd choose. Probably an eastern box this time too.

I could certainly put up with a breathed over side window cabbed 93xx, and one of Stourbridge's 74xx too.

Then where was A3 60046 Diamond Jubilee

Extrapolations: Bluebell, SVR or pre-grouping?

I love the way we take a single datapoint and extrapolate it in multiple directions. Three of these appeal.

Bachmann announced two Bluebell locomotives and Sheffield Park station Scenecraft buildings recently, therefore:

1. they'll do more Bluebell locomotives, or ...

2. they're done with Bluebell now and they'll switch to the Severn Valley Railway for inspiration, or ...

3. they did City of Truro and the MR compound for the NRM and the SECR C class, so they'll do more pre-grouping

Each of these is equally plausible (or implausible) and I think they're fun ideas. If any of these ideas does pan out I think the outcome would be well received.

I already made a post on the remaining Bluebell locomotives.

Extraplolating on No 3 is my venture that we'll see another pre-grouping 4-4-0 for the NRM in 2014 - like a D11 or D15.

Extrapolating that third data point a little, the last 4/5 years have seen Bachmann make a succession of forays into freight locos of pre-grouping origin (if not always in original pre-grouping condition)- G2, ROD, Somerset & Dorset 7F, Midland 3F, C, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them continue this trend.

Could the C in SECR colours just be an aberration- something they thought would be a nice tie-in with the Scenecraft Bluebell buildings, or could it be the start of another trend, for pre-grouping locos in pre-grouping liveries?

Whatever new tooling might be in the 2012 catalogue, could the 3F get an outing in Midland livery?

Archived