Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

LNWRmodeller :

Nice model jol, but I'm afraid it is the 2F. It is the larger Aspinal and Hughes 3F I require, in fact I never saw a 2F in steam days.

Is is available without the loco chassis?

Larry,

PM on its way.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Might be the Severn Valley's turn this year to be featured.

A set of station buildings (Highley?) to go with Highley signal box already released (44-044)

Maybe a Stanier Mogul, who knows even a Caley 812 0-6-0 (visited there last year) or a GWR large prairie to compete with Hornby's ex-Airfix version.

Guest Max Stafford

Oh, I'd be doing cartwheels* round here if your second choice came to light in the announcement!

*possibly even naked ones! :jester:

Dave..

According to the Strathspey Railway, the Caley 812 was a hit on the Severn Valley when it went to their autumn gala and it's currently in their workshops at Bridgnorth, enough time for Bachmann to measure up the loco.

I think they may have measured it up but it will sadly not be the 812's year. According to the MROL/RMWeb/MREMag poll Hornby plan something 3 years or so before it gets announced. Bachmann will probably do something similar (remember how long the 08 and Mk1's were in the catalogue before we saw them?) it will probably be a year or 2 before it gets into the catalogue. I would not be disappointed to be proved wrong though.

The one no one has mentioned is a guaranteed announcement. A shiny new catalogue with a photo of a real loco on the front which will be inside the catalogue as a new model :).

I've been waiting for years for Hornby to do an unrebuilt, sorry, air-smoothed, Merchant Navy, but they obviously don't think its worth the expense of putting a new body on to the chassis they've already got - so it wouldn't surprise me if Bachmann did it, as it's one of the few 8P locos left thats still not available r-t-r. I'd buy a few!

• RMweb Premium

According to the Strathspey Railway, the Caley 812 was a hit on the Severn Valley when it went to their autumn gala and it's currently in their workshops at Bridgnorth, enough time for Bachmann to measure up the loco.

http://www.svr-engin.../news/news.html

Just have to wait and see if it's announced next month.

I was at the SVR Autumn Gala and it seemed as if 812 was more popular with the travelling public and enthusiasts than Tornado !

John

• RMweb Premium

If their planned SECR C 0-6-0 sells well in their pre-grouping livery, Bachmann has an opportunity to create a market for pre-grouping locos being produced especially if they're preserved and carry attractive pre-grouping liveries.

This would appeal to those who've visited a heritage railway, seen and/or travelled behind the loco(s) and say to themselves "Hey, I want that"

An upgraded Deltic would be splendid. I read somewhere that there was some laser scanning of one carried out recently.

Well it would be good if you could recall just where and back this up with something of substance, because given a) the expense of laser scanning for mainstream models b ) the adequacy of the current Bachmann model and c) the (slim) possibility of competition from Heljan, a new Deltic from Barwell is as unlikely as an unlikely thing IMHO

An upgraded Deltic would be splendid. I read somewhere that there was some laser scanning of one carried out recently.

I may get slapped down for this...but what the heck. Why does the Bachmann Deltic need upgrading?

It has directional lights, it's just had DCC sound retro fitted last year, has a terrific motor/gearbox combination and looks like a Deltic more than anything else on offer (Limby Deltic anyone? Thought not!)

I can understand the 37, 40 and 25 arguments for retooling where they are older models derived from other companies or they simply weren't that great the first time around, but the Bachmann Deltic strikes me as being an excellent representation, if not millimetre perfect, and a decent running model to boot.

Archived