Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Wagons:

Bachmann are leading the way here and some reliveries of modern stock is likely, especially with things like Autoballasters. I also think theres a chance of modern box wagons being done. Something akin to the Scrap wagons used on the Stockton - cardiff tidal flow.

A JNA box wagon of the various types that get used on coal, scrap and stone may be a possibility.

As detailed elsewhere, relivery of the autoballaster is only limited to earlier Carillion/GTRM etc, unless they do tooling change and bogie swap for a HQA. Then there's things like extended chutes and flat section sides to worry about on some of the JJA's (although one of the existing Bachy JJA's should have flat sides, but that's going OT). If they do go down that route, [*] then yellow - NR and possibly Metronet is a certainty. I think in this day and age, Barwell will be fairly keen and get it right, unless someone specifically wants a LE relivery, such as the yellow Irish autoballasters.

The most modern livery for the JJA is the weathered/ patch painted /new Network Rail logo over the top - I don't know why, but I can't see that being done, as the weathering would have to be applied before the patch paint and logo, unless the weathering was applied over a mask of the newer logo.

More likely is the JJA predecessor - the KPA.

I'm also coming round to the idea of aircon Mk2's from Barwell.

Cheers,

Mick

[*] just as I'm about to start my JJA-HQA conversion project..........

My thoughts:

Some of these I've mentioned in previous years , others are new ideas.

Steam :

Two fairly common types that have so far been overlooked:

LMS Stanier Mogul

LNER Thompson K1 Mogul

I can see a D11 4-4-0 being introduced as part of the NRM collection - good spread of liveries and names , and, if they tool it to be able to have an alternate cab , the Scottish variant could be done as well.

BR : Caprotti Standard 5 4-6-0 - would people moan if the rotary shaft in the valve gear didn't actually revolve?

77000 2-6-0 - another missing link

Diesel & Electric

101 DMU - I'd say this should be a shoe-in , they already have the short DMU underframe and chassis , and presumably the CAD from the N scale version can be altered as other items in the range have been.

For a real outside bet , perhaps in conjunction with the NRM , and fitting neatly into the Southern / Kent theme as per the 4-CEP , a class 71 electric/E5000. The prototype can be laser scanned to get the body profile correct , and hopefully with some CAD work the later class 74 could also be produced.

Coaching Stock

A different Mark 1 TPO vehicle - maybe a stowage van or a brake/stowage

BR Mark 1 CCT - again , to the standard of the GUV this should sell like hot cakes...

Freight Stock

BR 21t hopper - different body styles and fitted/unfitted variants - again , these would in theory sell in large quantities

Modern style TEA bogie oil tanker - the newer build of tank wagons with low track force bogies

if the ROD tender is a standard size GCR tender

they could do a j39 with the rod tender, I have a pic of 64748 with one,

and could also do the V2 with the great central tender

Hi. I don't think V2 ever had GC tenders. The only J39 to have one were 2731 for 2 weeks in May 1942 and 1496 in 1945 - 1948. Some had the stepped Group Standard tender that looks similar above the frames.

Roger.

Hi. I don't think V2 ever had GC tenders. The only J39 to have one were 2731 for 2 weeks in May 1942 and 1496 in 1945 - 1948. Some had the stepped Group Standard tender that looks similar above the frames.

Roger.

60821 features on a video called west riding steam, good side on shot of it and the commentator mentions its GCR tender.

also a good shot of J39 64748 of Gorton shed in 1958 by Jim Peden in a history of Liverpool's railways, again the book mentions its great central tender.

unless its the stepped tender you mention and they are getting mixed up?

• RMweb Gold

And I'm From Shenfield! - My Dad moved us there because of the electric service in 1955. He actually wrote BR and requested a 3:30am service from Shenfield and got it!

I wonder if any other guys from our line left the country? Or maybe we all did...

Best, Pete.

My Aunts lived in Thundersley , we visited every year from around 1955-60 and I ended up in Australia!!......still remember all of those beautiful Brits, Sandies etc, was Heaven in those days.

I hope the Eastern boys get something 0-6-0ish this year.they've had a long wait.

Rgds.....Mike

If this year (so far) has not been the greatest for fans of the Southern, we still have the announcement of Bachmann's forecast to digest. We know that Bachmann have a committment to the Bluebell Collection and a relationship with the NRM but could this be of further benefit to the Southern modeller?

Well, maybe. Just suppose Bachmann are looking for an iconic class that had a limited prototype application but a very large fan base AND a connection with both the aforementoned organisations then I would put money (not mine) on the 0415 class. However let's look a little deeper, Bachmann have a suprisingly good track record on Southern classes - their N-class is still my first choice of the most useful Southern model (it still holds it own despite its age) and all the big lad with one eye needs is a new chassis to bring in line with other SR express bruisers. As for Bachmann's 3rd rail departures, aren't they lovely?

What I think might happen is a bit more tricky - the 0415 is the front runner but someone at Bardwell gets a wobble of 'what-ifs' then they look at a 'safer' small loco that complies with their committment to the Bluebell Collection and relationship with the NRM - the Q class! OK, no great looker but Bachmann are good at small 0-6-0's, its their territory and a lead-in to a LMS 4F which will round out Bachmann's LMS good collection.

Then, big surprise, the 0415 pops out in the forecast for the next year........

Before anyone asks, neither the 0415 nor the Q are on my shopping list but given that Bachmann seems to equally surprise and frustrate us, these thoughts aren't too illogical.

My apologies to those who have read this before but the SRG is not the main forum and the comment still has relevance.

Tim

Maybe Bachmann are planning to update their chassis of their Ivatt Mickey Mouse, Lord Nelson and any remaining split chassis designs.

Coaches maybe Mk2 variations to satify the demand which has been out there. As for new tooling for locomotive I think one day we'll see either the standard 3 or standard 2 mogul and for this year maybe a North Eastern 060 tender locomotive. Wagons hopefully a selection of western region design.

But all round some stuff to please alot of people and for others something for people to moan about.

Phil,

If you care to read the full thread 'Crystal Ball Gazing' in the Southern Railway Group area, the subject has been covered in more depth.

Moreover the above post is speculation based on Bachmann's previous offerings together with their commercial connections with the NRM and the Bluebell railway rather than a wishlist.

I hope that this answers your concerns.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

The more I think about it, and combined with a couple of minor things that haven't happened in regards to my Terrier project, the more I feel Bachmann have a Terrier lined up. The NRM and Bluebell connections are doubly served ('Boxhill' for the NRM, 'Stepney' and 'Fenchurch' for the Bluebell), and the tooling in a more basic form would serve up 'Stepney' for their US Thomas range. Also, if they do 'Fenchurch' then 'Waddon' is a doddle. So while it would be something of a departure for Bachmann based on their previous releases, I believe it would make a lot of sense commercially. However, it now puts my Terrier project onto the back burner until I see what the announcement brings.

• RMweb Gold

The more I think about it, and combined with a couple of minor things that haven't happened in regards to my Terrier project, the more I feel Bachmann have a Terrier lined up. The NRM and Bluebell connections are doubly served ('Boxhill' for the NRM, 'Stepney' and 'Fenchurch' for the Bluebell), and the tooling in a more basic form would serve up 'Stepney' for their US Thomas range. Also, if they do 'Fenchurch' then 'Waddon' is a doddle. So while it would be something of a departure for Bachmann based on their previous releases, I believe it would make a lot of sense commercially. However, it now puts my Terrier project onto the back burner until I see what the announcement brings.

I'm not so sure about the 'Terrier', or any small locomotives for that matter (welcome as a P, H or NLR tank would be), but there is one group of very similar larger locomotives from two different pre-Grouping companies which do have direct connections with both the NRM and the Bluebell and which would fit the criteria under which all NRM models have so far been released and provide a link to a high profile Bluebell project: the GNR and Brighton atlantics.

Another Bluebell connection locomotive is the LSWR B4, these things had a long life and several members in their class. There are several variations on the cabs including window types. With what Bachmann has done with it's class 03 shunter it would nice to see this transposed into a locomotive a decent sized shunter. The B4 was used in various places even to the far west of Plymouth. It may look like a Hornby GWR Holden tank locomotive on steroids but it would nice for people who want a locomotive to run in small spaces too.

The Terrier idea would get my vote, but feel like it will not happen in the near future, as Hornby still thinks it has mileage in it moulding and keeps on releasing them every year.

You never know Dapol could even go back to making it's own Terrier after the sucess of the Beattie Well Tank.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not so sure about the 'Terrier', or any small locomotives for that matter (welcome as a P, H or NLR tank would be), but there is one group of very similar larger locomotives from two different pre-Grouping companies which do have direct connections with both the NRM and the Bluebell and which would fit the criteria under which all NRM models have so far been released and provide a link to a high profile Bluebell project: the GNR and Brighton atlantics.

I think we need to recognise what appears to have become the pattern in 'Bachmann for the NRM' releases and that is that a completely new loco only appears - thus far - in alternate years and it is an NRM announcement of imminent release at the back end of the year. So on that basis there won't be a completely new 'Bachmann for the NRM' loco this year (as the MR compound appeared in 2011) and irrespective of that whatever is done for the NRM this year won't appear until November/December.

I can't see Bachmann jeopardising what must be, for them, a good commercial relationship with the NRM by taking advantage of proposals and projects from that direction and using them for its own range prior to the NRM model appearing.

• RMweb Gold

I think we need to recognise what appears to have become the pattern in 'Bachmann for the NRM' releases and that is that a completely new loco only appears - thus far - in alternate years and it is an NRM announcement of imminent release at the back end of the year. So on that basis there won't be a completely new 'Bachmann for the NRM' loco this year (as the MR compound appeared in 2011) and irrespective of that whatever is done for the NRM this year won't appear until November/December.

I can't see Bachmann jeopardising what must be, for them, a good commercial relationship with the NRM by taking advantage of proposals and projects from that direction and using them for its own range prior to the NRM model appearing.

Absolutely, but conversely there would be nothing to prevent Bachmann from producing a Brighton atlantic for its own range and in due course also turning out a large boilered GN atlantic for the NRM. Or of course vice versa, if as in the case of the 'City' the model of 251 were to be subject to a limited exclusivity agreement.

Absolutely, but conversely there would be nothing to prevent Bachmann from producing a Brighton atlantic for its own range and in due course also turning out a large boilered GN atlantic for the NRM. Or of course vice versa, if as in the case of the 'City' the model of 251 were to be subject to a limited exclusivity agreement.

exactly, no point cutting off your nose to spite your face......

Hi,

I Agree with what people have said about the Class 450 in SWT colours, it certainly is the next logical step for Bachmann, but then again, I've been saying that about the Electrostars from the existing Turbostars for the past few years and they still haven't appeared!

In terms of multiple units I would think that the 172 will appear, although maybe not the 172/2 (the London Midland ones) due them having a radically different front end, I would expect those to come along with some electrostars maybe next year or the year after. Probably another 1st generation DMU seen as they have been churning them out over the past couple of years.

This year, I think there maybe eastern region locos, to go with their thompson coaches and to challenge Hornby's O2, or maybe some Western locos, again to challenge Hornby and to compliment their forthcoming Dukedog.

In terms of wagons and coaches, i'm not sure, i think they may go like Hornby and decided that only reliveries of exsisting wagons will happen this year. However, I think we'll see the Suburban MK1's re-tooled for take on Hornby's Gresley and Thompson coaches.

I suppose that actually all of the above is complete rubbish and we won't know until the day of the announcement!

Simon

That Bachmann will at some point further exploit the work for the NRM model is something I too would expect. But I would also expect from the NRM side that they have been savvy with the contract, and have a window of no announcement for a (somewhat) competing MR or LMS compound in Bachmann's standard range for a defined period from the launch of the NRM model. It is such an obvious thing to have been considered from both sides, since these were substantial and long lived classes.

Bachmann were able to move on the Farish DP1 about three years after the NRM OO model appeared. The next check point will be whether there is an announcement of other members of the City class, deriving from CoT. It feels rather too soon for anything deriving from the Compound to be announced just yet. The received wisdom is that most new models do their significant sales in the two years or so following release, so that would be the shortest time interval that comes to mind...

I cant see Bachmann doing anything that Dapol currently does in N. Logic would dictate that the 156 is a either going to be scaled up by Dapol or Remodelled by Hornby who dont care about the N gauge market. Same principles apply to a terrier. Bachmanns logical choice are likely to be stuff they can develop in two gauge for the price of 1 (as far as design, research etc goes)

But since when did logic rule the world?

Archived