Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

I say this every year - they have the Jinty and the Pannier in the range, if they add the Gresley J50 and one of the LBSCR tank engines (D, E range engines or A1/A1X terriers) then potentially they'd have one numerous tank engine class from each region, thus cornering a market of sorts on shunting. Everyone wants/needs a shunter of some form...

Arguably the Terrier is a duplication, but it shouldn't be ruled out I think because it's the natural shed mate to their C Class - and who wouldn't buy a top of the range model of "Stepney".

Am I advocating duplication? No, but there's some method in the madness if it competes with an older, inferior model.

I think I'll hang on for some 5MT's with the new chassis. But as far as new models its tricky. I'm waiting for SACM to finish his Thompson pacifics so Bachmann can announce theirs :P

P1 and P2 perhaps, or even a Raven A2 to fill a hole in the Eastern region.

Theacmk1 units would be a good bet from bachy. made like the mk1 coaches,with different sides, you could have the 302,4,5,8. The 309 is a even better bet, as they already have some of the intermediate coaches, already do the commonwealth bogies, and the dmu powerpack would fit in the brake compartment and has already shown it has enough to power a 4 coach unit.

Well, I believe they've already announced a retooled class 40 for this year, but also looking at what they've got chassis wise maybe a re-tooled j39 or other tender 0-6-0 for the eastern region. Equally I notice the J72 doesn't appear to be around too much so maybe that or another eastern tank is on the cards. Especially when one consders they seem commited to removing split chassis' from their portfolio.

Not knowing how well the Desiro 350's are selling, a 450 may be a long shot but with so little revision to the body then maybe not. There's also further livery options for the 411's including privatisation schemes.

More Mk 2's! Of any flavour.

Guest Max Stafford

About ten years ago, contemporary with the appearance of the A1, Bachmann announced a revamp of the Thompson stock, only to pull the programme a year or two later. I wonder if this has subsequently been revived as a 'slow cooker' project?

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I say this every year - they have the Jinty and the Pannier in the range, if they add the Gresley J50 and one of the LBSCR tank engines (D, E range engines or A1/A1X terriers) then potentially they'd have one numerous tank engine class from each region, thus cornering a market of sorts on shunting. Everyone wants/needs a shunter of some form...

Arguably the Terrier is a duplication, but it shouldn't be ruled out I think because it's the natural shed mate to their C Class - and wouldn't buy a top of the range model of "Stepney".

Am I advocating duplication? No, but there's some method in the madness if it competes with an older, inferior model.

Thing is that, if you look at the small (and smallish) engines which are avaiable from Hornby and Bachmann, there are only three which are less than a quarter of a century old: Bachmann's pannier and jinty and Hornby's M7. There does not seem to be an appetite at either Barwell or Margate to make any serious inroads into this area, although it may well be that the success of Dapol's Sentinel and BWT will change that.

Incidentally Pat Hammond's Bachmann 'Pocket Guide' says that the exclusivity agreement with the NRM for the GWR "City" tooling was for two years only, in which case if it has not been extended it will have expired at the end of 2011 and we might well have a few more members of this class to look forward to this year.

About ten years ago, contemporary with the appearance of the A1, Bachmann announced a revamp of the Thompson stock, only to pull the programme a year or two later. I wonder if this has subsequently been revived as a 'slow cooker' project? Dave.
I think at the time the decision was taken that the Thompson needed a lot of work, and the decision was made to do the Mk1 Pullman's instead - Shame as this seems a lost opportunity.

• RMweb Premium

... or A1/A1X terriers...

Arguably the Terrier is a duplication, but it shouldn't be ruled out I think because it's the natural shed mate to their C Class - and wouldn't buy a top of the range model of "Stepney".

I do wonder whether the Terrier might appear from Bachmann. I'm in two minds about it though as I do want to do my one, even though it is a long shot by far. I just feel that if Bachmann do it they'll use a standard keeperplate chassis arrangement that just perpetuates what in my eyes is a weak design that doesn't allow for greater fidelity. On the other hand, if they were to do it then they would bring undoubted expertise and capability way beyond my experience and of course get it to market much quicker.

Theacmk1 units would be a good bet from bachy. made like the mk1 coaches,with different sides, you could have the 302,4,5,8. The 309 is a even better bet, as they already have some of the intermediate coaches, already do the commonwealth bogies, and the dmu powerpack would fit in the brake compartment and has already shown it has enough to power a 4 coach unit.

Which 309 though? Before refurbishment there were 3 types spread across 7 different carriage types (4 different driving vehicles!) and post refurbishement the situation doesn't improve (7 vehicles across two types). Would be lovely to see, but it's a production nightmare.

I think at the time the decision was taken that the Thompson needed a lot of work, and the decision was made to do the Mk1 Pullman's instead - Shame as this seems a lost opportunity.

I wouldnt say it was lost, just 'dropped and could be picked up again' in circumstances that have moved on. If Hornby have shown the way in anything, it's that high quality coaching stock (even post war) can be an earner; I think the forthcoming Portholes show that Barwell understands that.

I wouldnt say it was lost, just 'dropped and could be picked up again' in circumstances that have moved on. If Hornby have shown the way in anything, it's that high quality coaching stock (even post war) can be an earner; I think the forthcoming Portholes show that Barwell understands that.
Oh don't take me wrong I agree with you. I hope they do release new Thompson range - unfortunately the reluctance to produce a totally new V2 the poorest loco in the range and the recent release of old Thompson coaches makes me wonder if the attitude is one of 'it will do'. As they look to newer subjects. I can't blame them for that, but as things are at the moment for V2's and Thompsons I'm reluctant to spend on these poorer models, which is a shame as the V2's and Thompsons are be part of the mainstay of the ECML

I think folk should stop talking about Class 156's, Class 25's and revamped what-nots until there is a level playing field and every single steam loco has been done (like the diesels). Then they can talk about a refurbished 309 or whatever... :biggrin_mini2:

Got you all going there......

Okay heres my thoughts:

Steam:

I think (same as every year) that the NER must be due for its eventual engine. The reason is that the whole area could be done with just a few NER engines that then augment sales on the other engines already produced. As a result, like many I think the Q6 is the likely contender, with a 0-6-0 in company, probably a J21, but wouldnt rule out a J27. Given the smokebox door on one Hornby B1, it could be a race between the two to see who is going to make a K1 should Bachmann anounce that.

I also think theres a chance that the Thompson A2 might make an appearance, but others could be a Scottish region engine proper. The BR Standard 2MT is also a highly likely contender for being done to finish the whole BR standard fleet - or leave few left... like the 3MT - another possibility.

Diesel:

With locomotives all but done it falls to DMUs to be the new models on the scene. I think Bachmann will go for some updates to their current stock. I think Bachmann should make more of the class 47 they do which is much better than contempoary competition despite magazine views being that its quite close. I think a EWS 47, WCRC and probably DRS are all likely, possibly Royal Prince William as a collecters peice somewhere.

Id agree that theres a slender chance for the 156, to be an update for modern units, but think that something like a 101 or 104 is more likely.

Electrics:

Here I think Bachmann might go for another. Maybe the class 90, but Id guess more so for class 87. One class its not going to be will be the class 89. EMUs might see another slam door one, or the Electro-star.

Wagons:

Bachmann are leading the way here and some reliveries of modern stock is likely, especially with things like Autoballasters. I also think theres a chance of modern box wagons being done. Something akin to the Scrap wagons used on the Stockton - cardiff tidal flow.

Meanwhile, I expect something like the 20T and 21T hopper wagon to be done for the NER Q6. Tyne Dock wagons might be a possibility.

Rolling Stock

Definately the year of the Air-Con Mk. 2 - modern high spec models of these are needed across the board. Right from everything for WCML blue and grey, to intercity and cross country operations. Bachmann could make a fortune turinging these out in quick succession so you can build a rake of these easily.

Cast buildings:

These will be a popular addition to the whole range. I think you can expect more things like relief buildings, houses in particular. Bachmann also bring out a range of items together - so something akin to the SVR, Bodmin railway might be forthcoming. I think theres a chance that it could be a range for modern image, perhaps a station on the BR network thats quite general. Something thats passable nationally, and of modular construction with seperate shop buildings, station buildings, footbridge. I dont know how big or small it could be. Stafford, Peterbrough or Leicester are big ones to go for, with something like a new build station being something smaller, like Bescot, Bishop Auckland for smaller.... no doubt we will be surprised but see the sence of their decision here.

NRM edition:

The surprise of the NRM edition which out of the blue comes in November I think will be something a little more different. Theres an outside chance that Im wrong and they will do another 4-4-0, like the D20, or Butler Henderson. I think however, that it could be something a little more different. HST prototype power car is what Id guess at, being a diesel again, rather than steam, but could so easily be something like the Sterling Single. Dont think it will be Western or Midland again, and diesel has not been done for some time. So Id guess for something different, and about to be re-engined and thus back out in preservation. HST proto-type is what Id think it would be.

Hope the lads at Barwell get a chuckle for my wide of the mark guessing again..... keep up the good work of being the leading UK model rail company.

• RMweb Premium

I think folk should stop talking about Class 156's, Class 25's and revamped what-nots until there is a level playing field and every single steam loco has been done (like the diesels). Then they can talk about a refurbished 309 or whatever... :biggrin_mini2:

Got you all going there......

No... I think you've got a good point. After all, you need far more steam engines to operate a railway service than diesels and electrics, what with all that time spent on shed, being coaled, watered and generally taking longer to get from A to B. The LNER needed 34 A4s for its top link ECML services whereas BR only needed 22 Deltics...

Personally, I'm looking forward to a RTR Kirtley LCDR T Class 0-6-0T (and modellers do seem to want more 0-6-0s) and hope it appears before the F***.

Electrics:

Here I think Bachmann might go for another. Maybe the class 90, but Id guess more so for class 87.

Rolling Stock

Definately the year of the Air-Con Mk. 2 - modern high spec models of these are needed across the board. Right from everything for WCML blue and grey, to intercity and cross country operations. Bachmann could make a fortune turinging these out in quick succession so you can build a rake of these easily.

it would be great for wcml modellers to get at least one of these off the drawing board and onto the shelves. half of me is inclined to go along with the thoughts that a follow up to the 85 will not come around until after the 85 has been received so maybe 2013.

the other half gets the feeling from previous reviews and write ups that the model is looking to be almost perfect and that a class 81 would be the easiest of the other ACs to act as the follow up. If there is a healthy AC interest (It would be very interesting to know the number of AL5s on pre-order) then surely we should see an 81 in the Spring of 2014. To not release another AC loco would be to stall the interest in AC locos for over 2 years whilst relying just on the 85. People with a softer spot for the 81 may go out and buy a couple of 81s then return to buy an 85 or two to supplement them so it could be a snowball effect if the models are out there. Bachmann are not exactly on their uppers like Hornby so will they go for it???? Lets hope they do.

I agree that Bachmann would make a lot of money from all new ACons. If the announcement is made then I suspect the first batch would be sold out within a few weeks of them being revealed such has been the demand for many years now. Nothing would suit many of our finely detailed locos than a nice rake (or two) of accurate coaches. The Mk1 is good but any modern image layout is missing authenticity without its fair share of ACons.

Of the two I would rather have the new coaches first then new electrics in the next few years.

The City of Truro locos seem to be an odd one out as they cover a period in railway history that not many folk model these days. And of course they were mainline express locos. However, I can see further batches under the Bachmann label selling well in their own right as beautiful models with beautiful names. Maybe this is the future of some of the NRM productions?

• RMweb Gold

The City of Truro locos seem to be an odd one out as they cover a period in railway history that not many folk model these days. And of course they were mainline express locos. However, I can see further batches under the Bachmann label selling well in their own right as beautiful models with beautiful names. Maybe this is the future of some of the NRM productions?

They will sell many more if they do the rolling stock to match.

Archived