Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of starting a froth and incurring the wrath of Andy and The Mods..........

From Andy's post:

The exciting new 2012 British outline model railway ranges will be launched at the Model and Hobby show, held in Coventry on the 13th and 14th March.

What models would you speculate that Bachmann will announce?

I'll start with HYA/IIA coal hoppers in 4mm.

And curveball of a DRS Eurolight loco

Over to you.

Cheers,

Mick

For what its worth, it will be something that they can develop further I suspect. Something like the new Bombardier Turbostar 172, I cant see them doing a Eurolight, as we havent even seen any metal cut yet.

I also cant see the coal hoppers to be honest, who has the space to model even a half length rake or the money come to that?

A few new steel wagons would be nice, BLA for example. Maybe a 59 seeing as Hornby have re tooled the 67, or even extending their toe in the water into the modern AC locomotives 90/91/92 etc.

Great Western.

• RMweb Gold

I don't normally get involved in wish lists, however I would like to request some open merchandise wagons, nice 5 plankers! Thousands of the things where running around for years, so that is what I would like.

... and if a 64xx was on the horizon too that would be great! ;)

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hello

2 EPB in blue grey without NSE branding would be nice

2 HAP would be even nicer!

4 BEP ....

4 CIG would be good for all, 11 liveries availabele for them to do...

Mk2 e/f's

Class 47 original ETH (jumper inset in buffer beam typr) in banger blue without numbers would be great - I'll have 10!

thats all really!

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Banger blue Class 47 with proper radiator grilles would be nice!!

I predict:

Fresh runs of EWS and Freightliner Class 66's.

That cartoon DRS Class 66 and probably a Colas one as well.

Blue/Grey 2-EPB without NSE insignia.

Mk 2 TSO's in blue/grey - They have got to realise there is demand for these surely?!?

Network Rail yellow Auto Ballasters

New Items:

Placing hopeful bets on a 4-EPB, Class 59 and intention to do the new Eurolights.

Air-Con Mk2's.

I wouldn't rule out a new Class 73 but I think Hornby may have that one pencilled in already for 2013 or 2014 (Just a hunch...)

Guest dilbert

As Hornby have kindly announced the 42/xx/5205/72xx tanks I expect that there will several new liveries/numbers wagons, be they wooden or steel varieties, and a retooled Toad brake van to accompany them.

Loco wise - the last 57xx LT Pannier proved popular, so a new numbered release of this. And for those LMS 'Porhole' coaches and new LMS loco for these.

I don't see a 54xx/64xx/74xx in the tea leaves, but wouldn't object if there was one announced.

As for other items, my crystal ball has gone fuzzy... dilbert

After seeing their n gauge class 20 I will probably bet that Bachmann have retooled the OO gauge version with working lights etc. Other than that we will most likely see LNER locos 2 or 3 from J15, J27,D11, K1 or Q6.

I will also add a detailed breakdown crane to that list as a wish and some more depot type buildings(offices, western region bogie washing faciltiy, sand drying kilns, water softening plants etc) from scenecraft.

Wagons: Any bogie hopper wagons and coke hoppers

This is looking more like a wishlist than a speculation thread chaps!

1) New southern wagons. Could be anything, but the C class and pill boxes don't have much top quality stuff to run with at the moment!

2) Standard 2 - either the tank or tender version, but it is a hole in their range of standards

Unfortunately I don't see a 64xx as a possibility as they already have a well regarded pannier in their range. Hornby is our best bet for that I think. Hopefully I will be proved wrong though!

At the risk of starting a froth and incurring the wrath of Andy and The Mods..........

6 weeks froth and muck to clear up by mid-March; yeah I suppose we can live with that but can we please keep it to speculation (intelligent variety preferred) as per Mick's OP rather just another wishlist; otherwise it'll turn into a repeat of the Dapol wishing well (but Dave did walk into that :)).

Okay.

Highland Baby Sulzer (with corrected roof and nose geometry and new underframe moulding, to kick off the family retool)

Class 40 in each nose style, especially Centre Panel and ScR square-corner Centre Panel

MkIs with roof panel joints subtle as the postals

Blue pre-TOPS 47 with Serck grilles and different boiler port

GSYP Serck fitted Brush 4

Carflats

MkI CCT

Sturgeon/ Tench or Salmon DCE bogie wagons

Speculation (intelligent variety preferred). Mmmm, well.....er.....

Bachmann has the MR 3F 0-6-0 chassis so I would assume it will make a move to block Hornby and drop a 4F body on it.

Eight-coupled locos seem to have become very popular of late so the preserved NER Q6 0-8-0 wouldn't suprise me.

Seeing as Bachmann has done a very good 4-4-0 chassis for the NRM, I wonder if this might be developed?

• RMweb Gold

Logically (I think) there will be some further chassis up grading - perhaps the 'Manor' (being cheeky I do wonder if that is why Hornby have announced a new edition of the 'Grange' for this year?).

New steam outline might well be another 8 coupled loco - which would presumably be NER in origin - and another 0-6-0 (which would most likely be either NER although I do wonder if a sudden splurge of NER might be a bit too much and we could perhaps see a Scottish loco?). The outsider is of course another 4-4-0 but what it would be is, I'm sure, going to be heavily influenced by York's continuing plans.

Diesel wise the EE Type 4 as it's been sizzling away on the back burner for quite a while and the curve ball is perhaps a re-work of the BR/Sulzer Type 2 (Class 24/25) as it seems to be a subject of frequent dissatisfaction.

Coach wise I suspect we might not see too much apart from the announcement of another Modernisation Plan DMU - potentially the Pressed Steel/BRCW sets would make a lot of sense but a Swindon Cross-Country set has also seemed frequently mentioned and would, I think, prove quite popular. And there might even be another 3rd rail electric unit, ancient or modern.

The 'traditional' wagon field remains quite open with loads of opportunities for both upgrades and new ground and something I think is a certainty as the market has been very receptive of Bachmann's LNER efforts and wagons are a good thing in budget straitened times.

So quite a broad sweep from me and maybe some of it will be sufficiently vague to actually be on target even if it doesn't score a bullseye.

I would like to think there is something with a pantograph on the roof coming but I think that as sales figures for the cl85 and desiro are not yet available we will have to wait until next year.

I think class 20/3 with lights to match the nuclear flasks and will Bachmann use the research with the 101 for a OO version? Maybe a class 59 in the pipeline. A class 73 would fit with the 3rd rail range but unlikely with the Hornby model around.

Hopefully air con mk2 coaches in a new range.

mark

Logic says 4-4-0 using chassis from compound and 0-6-0 using chassis from 3F. Diesels wise, extended 24range to include scr 24/1 sounds most agreeable and having 2 brassmasters kits will no doubt pop up to spoil my fun. What about more shunters, an 05 or maybe 07 to colonise that segment and capitalise on the highly regarded 03.

Wagons - scale grain wagon and plate wagons for old times and biomass converted hya / iia wagons for modern times

Coaches, well too hard to forecast but I think a quiet year

I wonder if we might see a LNWR Webb "Coal Tank". The National Collection has one (NRM tie in), they were common on both goods and passenger well into the late 1950s and worked alongside the G7s around the Midlands, and it's a workaday prototype which seems to be increasingly popular. Nice range of liveries, all on a theme of black though.

Given that Bachmann quickly followed the CEP with the EPB before any sales trajectory could be reasonably plotted, I wouldn't be surprised to see another "quick win" AC loco or unit produced. I have a feeling an 86 might not be too unrealistic - after all, Bachmann took on Heljan and Hornby (and Vi-trains) previously with a 47, and given the reception so far to the early showings of the 85, it could have potential. If it's an EMU, I'd expect something Mk3 derived.

Given they have pretty much released a 57ft DMU almost every season since the 108, I'd be willing to put money on another outing, given there are two obvious classes they could go for in terms of widespread geographical use and livery options, the 104 and the Met Cam 101. The former would be all new, the latter competition for Hornby, so my money would be on the 104 first. Given there are a couple of useful classes left to model on the 57ft chassis I would doubt a new 64ft chassis needed for a Swindon Cross Country or Derby Suburban would be likely this time round.

I think coaching stock is likely to be more re-issues , although a Mk2b or c could be an outside bet.

Scenecraft - they've issued a lot of really useful post 1970's details and low relief and I would expect that to continue, possibly with some "Modernisation Plan" type structures - and I would be not at all surprised to see a West Coast lineside electrification section cabin given they released the Southern sub station just after the launch of the CEP.

Whatever Bachmann announce I'm sure there will be an "I never saw that coming" moment!

Utilising the 4-4-0 chasis, how about either a D34 or D40?

Both are likely to be popular and prototypes exist for those laser measuring chappies to give them the once over - I'd just about kill for a GNSR green 'Sodjer' in 4mm! Probably buy two - one to run, and one to put in a small glass case on my desk and simply admire forever more..

They are working through the aging LNER steam replacing the split chassis - sadly without retooling the whole lot as they have done in comparable cases with ~LMS subjects. The V2, V1/V3 and J39 are still outstanding , and we can reasonably expect at least one to gain a new chassis . Since the current V2 apparently has faults, and Hornby have shown their hand with B1 , B17 and 01 (ie they won't do V2 in the near future) a retooled V2 would make sense (NB - I'm not saying they won't just recycle the body)

The BR 2MT Mogul would be an obvious "quick win".

It's been a while since they did some new loco-hauled coaching stock, and in recent years Hornby have stolen the lead in this sector. Either they revamp the aging Thompson or Bulleid ranges or they go for the air-con Mk2s. Or some prewar GW coaches??

Diesel locos are largely mined out but an 86 could make sense . It may be a year too early for a 360 Desiro - though nearly all the stock for contemporary GE electric is available , we don't see very many layouts. As for "I never thought of that" , I might hazard a guess on an 0-6-0T. If it can be done at a moderate price , it would perhaps be suited to people's straitened finances. I suspect the MR 0-6-0Ts aren't different enough from a Jinty to sell. L&Y 0-6-0s and 0-6-0STs weren't widespread enough.An LSWR G6?? A J50 or a Buckjumper would be strong candidates - especially if the chassis could be used for a J6 or J15 as a spin off

On the wagon front , I really don't know

Archived