Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Although I was initially thrown by the front cover that never was (!!!) I still think a Billinton E4 or a Terrier would make a lot of sense as an attractive passenger locomotive, and one which also has a variety of liveries and a following due in no small part to its home on the Bluebell railway. They both fit in with the C Class and Dukedog too as a by-product of being Bluebell Railway based.

I still think the Terrier is a contender - reading that it's Fenchurch's 140th this year also adds a little to the reasoning for doing the class.

Although I was initially thrown by the front cover that never was (!!!) I still think a Billinton E4 or a Terrier would make a lot of sense as an attractive passenger locomotive, and one which also has a variety of liveries and a following due in no small part to its home on the Bluebell railway. They both fit in with the C Class and Dukedog too as a by-product of being Bluebell Railway based.

E4, E4, E4, E4......................... :)

FROTH?

FROTH!

I guess it was inevitable. Once we had exhausted informed speculation (such as "they have chassis x, they could build loco y around it" or "they do the A ft under frame and B type bogies, which could be recycled to make coach C"), then I suppose froth would have to be not far behind...

Now, a number of people have made some interesting speculations about de novo models based on a rational chain of thinking (such as "Bachmann have made loco X to go with coach Y and loco A to go with wagon B, they have loco C, therefore it is logical that they make Coach D"). I think it would make for an interesting post-mortem, once Bachmann have published their new model list, to see how many of these rational speculations were confirmed and how many were not, as well as note how many models came completely out of left field.

F

I suppose it depends how Bachmann makes it decisions do they think lets make x,y,z because we have these parts or do they go lets make x,y,z I wonder if there is anything we can take from anywhere else. Just how crucial is the use of available parts elsewhere in the range when they make their decisions.

mark

Guest dilbert

I suppose it depends how Bachmann makes it decisions do they think lets make x,y,z because we have these parts or do they go lets make x,y,z I wonder if there is anything we can take from anywhere else. Just how crucial is the use of available parts elsewhere in the range when they make their decisions.

Crucial is probably not the right adjective, important offers a better overall viewpoint. All manufacturers will look to maximise on product development and they will be looking 2-3 years in advance, so what decisions have been made in the past have a longer, rather than shorter term view of their product portfolio - thumbing thru the past catalogues will give you an idea of where they were in 2008 and where they are now.

That doesn't exclude something new either, that has potential for the next few years... there's a lot of mix 'n match that goes on... dilbert

Surely trying to second guess what Bachmann will announce is much more fun than simply saying what folk would like to see but probably wouldn't purchase. Really it is up to Bachmann to inspire, to come up with products that make people sit up and say "Hey, I never thought of that.....It looks good....I gotta have one!"

A Thompson A2-3 Pacific.

A Fowler 7F 0-8-0.... :P

Surely trying to second guess what Bachmann will announce is much more fun than simply saying what folk would like to see but probably wouldn't purchase. Really it is up to Bachmann to inspire, to come up with products that make people sit up and say "Hey, I never thought of that.....It looks good....I gotta have one!"

Mmmm OK but Im not sure I can follow your thinking. Surely if you say youd like to see a particular model its because you want to buy it! Whats the point in wishing for a new model but then not buy it when its released? Unless of course youre buying for somebody else :)

• RMweb Premium

What gets me is I don't think any of us here have a clue what Bachmann will actually announce, unlike with the pre-Hornby announcement froth where there seemed to be some degree of inside knowledge giving us clues. That, or those 'in the know' are keeping very quiet about what they know. It feels so secretive I expect to see lots of squirrels around :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm OK but Im not sure I can follow your thinking. Surely if you say youd like to see a particular model its because you want to buy it! Whats the point in wishing for a new model but then not buy it when its released? Unless of course youre buying for somebody else :)

However this thread is about speculating what they are likely to announce - and not about wishing what we would like them to announce; something of a difference between 'speculate' (preferably intelligently was what Andy hoped asked for) and 'wish' I reckon. The 'wishlisting' element comes shortly after the Bachmann announcement when we all get our chance to reveal - by voting - our dreams and dearest hopes in the MREMag/RMWeb poll.

Mmmm OK but Im not sure I can follow your thinking. Surely if you say youd like to see a particular model its because you want to buy it! Whats the point in wishing for a new model but then not buy it when its released?

Sadly, it's a tad more complex than that naive viewpoint, which is just one reason why wishlisting pure and simple doesnt necessarily help the manufacturers. What folk mean is not always 'I'll definitely buy one', but:

'I'd like there to be one available, so that I can buy one for that project (if I dont change my mind about what I'm modelling)'

'I might buy one, if they do the variant/livery that I want'

'I'll buy one, unless they screw up on some aspect that's important to me'

'I'll buy one, if I'm still solvent and I dont have more pressing commitments for my cash when it appears'

and no doubt lots of other perfectly valid reasons and variations.

What gets me is I don't think any of us here have a clue what Bachmann will actually announce, unlike with the pre-Hornby announcement froth where there seemed to be some degree of inside knowledge giving us clues. That, or those 'in the know' are keeping very quiet about what they know.

The two are quite different and there are factors that make it easier to guess some Hornby items.

Hornby's catalogue is larger; they offer more items each year, making the guessing easier. You can usually count on something, big, named and any colour but black. Plus there are some things that they seem ineluctably drawn to, like the jubilee limited edition. (Still, no one mentioned an O1.)

Bachmann Branch Lines catalogue is smaller and they're more willing to choose from the wide variety of work-a-day subjects that enthusiasts like. This makes guessing harder.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I didn't think that there was any "insider" spoiling going on in the early December Hornby thread.

What I find disturbing is the very unstable state of Chinese manufacturing. North American and British demand seems to be there. (I don't know about Europe.) We all saw and relentlessly commented on the impact the chaos at Sanda Kan has had on Hornby's business. Over the weekend I spoke with a representative of a US modelmaker at a show. I have had some items on order from his company for a very long time. (Hornby B1 and TIntagel Castle kinds of "long time".) They are yet to materialize and I asked him why. He explained that he is in the middle of changing manufacturers. We spoke about Athearn (not the representiative I spoke with) recently announcing product delays with the closure of CML (Creative Master Limited) who also supply Corgi.

Why bring up such off-topic comments in a Bachmann thread? To me, this underscores the solid footing Bachmann Branch Line has with vertical manufacturing by their parent company Kader. While they shouldn't take big risks and radically change their approach, the timing might be right from them to experiment a little and mix things up a bit.

Actually you could argue that the Midland Pullman is an example of this, though I see it counterbalanced by Hornby's Brighton Belle.

Extrapolating past behavior, we could see:

• another pre-grouping machine (though I think that will go by way of the NRM next year and likely a 4-4-0, perhaps a "D" something)
  • a work-a-day machine (is the time right for the J15?)
  • some more Bluebell locomotives
  • something from another preserved railway (like Scenecraft buildings for the SVR)

and something I'd consider a wildcard. What that might be, I don't know, but were I wishlisting, a GWR steam railmotor would be nice.

What I find disturbing is the very unstable state of Chinese manufacturing. North American and British demand seems to be there. (I don't know about Europe.) We all saw and relentlessly commented on the impact the chaos at Sanda Kan has had on Hornby's business. Over the weekend I spoke with a representative of a US modelmaker at a show. I have had some items on order from his company for a very long time. (Hornby B1 and TIntagel Castle kinds of "long time".) They are yet to materialize and I asked him why. He explained that he is in the middle of changing manufacturers. We spoke about Athearn (not the representiative I spoke with) recently announcing product delays with the closure of CML (Creative Master Limited) who also supply Corgi.

Why bring up such off-topic comments in a Bachmann thread? To me, this underscores the solid footing Bachmann Branch Line has with vertical manufacturing by their parent company Kader. While they shouldn't take big risks and radically change their approach, the timing might be right from them to experiment a little and mix things up a bit.

Another aspect of Bachmann Branchline and Hornby's manufacturing is that Chinese manufacturing is becoming more and more conducted in the Chinese language, via Sinagpore or HongKong, or directly, and that it is necessary to have good relations with people on the ground in China to achieve things.

My own experience was in the relationship with Japan during the 1980s and American businesses were notably very poor at respecting a Japanese way of doing things, and I don't know how much of this kind of problem, albeit at a lesser level, exists for Hornby and Bachmann.

In general I agree that Bachmann Branchline appear to do better with production timing, and I patiently await Hornby's B17s, especially weathered versions. In the meantime I am very pleased with the production quality of both companies. The B1 really is a superb model (Hornby) and the A2 is very, very good too (Bachmann). And we mustn't forget the large number of other equally outstanding models produced during the last 5 years or so.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea what Bachmann might announce in a couple of weeks. It's rather fun.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I have absolutely no idea what Bachmann might announce in a couple of weeks. It's rather fun.

Rob

I couldn't agree more, Rob!!

If we all took this attitude, instead of thinking that our pet "hoped-for-item" will materialise, we'd all be a lot happier.

Kind of like waiting for Father Christmas when you're a 5 year old!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

....., and that it is necessary to have good relations with people on the ground in China to achieve things.

One of my roles involved working with business development within a major railway supplier. For expansion into the Asian market we had people on the ground in Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai for local contact with potential projects. This was the only way that the clients would communcate.

Archived