Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

Guest dilbert

Track, you say? I wonder what the sleeper spacing would be like... :whistle:

If it was BG I'm sure it would be correct (as opposed to 'narrow gauge' )... dilbert

Guest Max Stafford

Well, one thing's sure. Knowing Bachmann, it will most definitely be an interesting line-up. It invariably is, more credit to them!

Dave.

here's a wild stab in the dark. With all the EMU's coming out Bachmann announce 3rd rail .. track

Major stab in the heart more like. It would be just in time for the Golden anniversary of the previous company offering OO UK EMU's and 3 rail track going bust...

More seriously, the assymetry by having the 3rd rail in place on flexi when trying to form curves would most likely be a true agony of the derriere. But an improvement over the Peco system would be possible, preformed holes in the underside of sleeper ends enabling pins on the conductor rail chairs to be pushed through a thin membrame to install the 3rd rail. Next thing you know, some brave soul will rig his all-electric 3rd rail system for 3rd rail pick up, with the benefits of all live points with no need for switching and no return loop bother should such a track formation be created. Ample space in electric types for some meaty stay alive capacitors for ultra reliable DCC operation too.

The OP is your friend:

The exciting new 2012 British outline model railway ranges will be launched at the Model and Hobby show, held in Coventry on the 13th and 14th March.

here's a wild stab in the dark. With all the EMU's coming out Bachmann announce 3rd rail set track and flexi track

Why bother, they can probably sell enough EMUs without investment in new track items. The business model for the RTR manufacturers probably relies on the largest slice of their turnover and profit coming from "motive power", so that's where the money will go.

Even if they did produce it, would they bother with the turnouts (points) etc. and how many people would rip up their existing trackwork to replace it? Those sufficiently interested in an accurate track infrastructure would probably go the C&L route anyway.

Seeing as many folk don't seem to like or get the hang of ballasting, I should think the best innovation is to produce a track system that includes a ballast base. Okay so it looks like a throwback to the days of Trix, Rovex and Hornby Dublo, but with modern technology I am sure something could be produced today that would be a lot more acceptable to scale modellers. The points would have built-in motors and the track system could be taken up and relaid as many times as one wants. No messy glue...no loose ballast.

• RMweb Premium

How about another batch of Class 47's including a Scotrail 477 then the mks 2 and DBSO!

Gary Tas

I may be mistaken but I thought I read somewhere (on the Bachmann 47 thread?) that a Scotrail 47/7 was being done as a retailer limited edition. Perhaps they cold feet when they saw that Rails' 47461 in Scotrail livery hasn't sold out yet, and/or the costs of tooling a new cab for the mu cables is too expensive?

Seeing as many folk don't seem to like or get the hang of ballasting, I should think the best innovation is to produce a track system that includes a ballast base. Okay so it looks like a throwback to the days of Trix, Rovex and Hornby Dublo, but with modern technology I am sure something could be produced today that would be a lot more acceptable to scale modellers. The points would have built-in motors and the track system could be taken up and relaid as many times as one wants. No messy glue...no loose ballast.

I agree that something realistic should now be possible, and desirable. But wouldn't this be akin to a manufacturer "cutting off its nose to spite its face" as it would inevitably reduce sales of track?

• RMweb Gold

Something like this perhaps? But to UK standards (BRMSB :O with Code 75 rail and decent radii?)

http://www.kato-unit...ack-1169-0.html

http://www.kato-unit...age-2326-0.html

In a way, something like Kato, but I would hope new thinking would produce a track system that does not assume that all track is ballasted with a shoulder. I personally would prefer track sections that resembled short sections of SMP bullhead track on a strip of cork that has been ballasted to just below sleeper tops.....

post-6680-0-52543100-1330596504.jpg

I may be mistaken but I thought I read somewhere (on the Bachmann 47 thread?) that a Scotrail 47/7 was being done as a retailer limited edition. Perhaps they cold feet when they saw that Rails' 47461 in Scotrail livery hasn't sold out yet, and/or the costs of tooling a new cab for the mu cables is too expensive?

Interesting, I did think it would only be a matter of time before a Bachmann 47/7 appeared. Can you recall the retailer perhaps or any other details?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I did think it would only be a matter of time before a Bachmann 47/7 appeared. Can you recall the retailer perhaps or any other details?

A quick search found it - posts #194 and #195 by Raffles and Ed-farms in the Bachmann 47 thread http://www.rmweb.co....7/page__st__175

You might have read that a retailer in the Durham area has commissioned a Bachmann model of 47703 in ScotRail colours. Thus far, I've seen nothing to substantiate this one but it'd be a nice addition.

Durham Trains of Stanley are doing it. http://durhamtrainso...co.uk/my_store/ nothingon the site yet but they do talk about it in store and their add in a recent mag mentioned it. They also have plans to do the Mk2's and ML3's and possibly DBSO.

• RMweb Gold

To be followed by 4th rail set track, and a range of LT units to go with the LT Pannier? ;)

I guess it's too much to hope for the Ashbury set? Would fit in with their Bluebell stuff and give us something for the Met lines, not to mention Steam on the Underground tie-in this year! No? I thought not.....

Bachmann already produce a track range like this for the US - the Kato H0 range is better looking though and perhaps more the kind of thing you're thinking of.

A quick search found it - posts #194 and #195 by Raffles and Ed-farms in the Bachmann 47 thread http://www.rmweb.co....7/page__st__175

Yes it was me who mentioned it, next time I visit Durham Trains of Stanley I will see what the score is on it.

Edit - Just seen on thhe Durham Trains of Stanley Facebook Page the 47 is on hold for the foreseeable future, but they do have another project in the pipeline - but does not say what it is.

In a way, something like Kato, but I would hope new thinking would produce a track system that does not assume that all track is ballasted with a shoulder. I personally would prefer track sections that resembled short sections of SMP bullhead track on a strip of cork that has been ballasted to just below sleeper tops.....

post-6680-0-52543100-1330596504.jpg

Excellent picture, thankyou, and excellent idea to have the track ballasted as shown. One aspect of existing 16.5mm 00 track which is not often mentioned is that even though the sleep spacing is too close the effect is not too far off because of perspective issues which are beyond easy decription, except to say, it 'looks' about right.

I have found that code 75 flexitrack sometimes looks less real in 00 than code 100 because after painting in rust brown at least the code 100 looks a little bit like flat-botton rail. Neither syle looks anywhere near bullhead.

Still, a reasonable approximation of bullhead with the style of ballasting you suggest, pre-formed and sold as set track or flexitrack shouldn't be beyond the resources of Bachmann or Hornby.

Rob

Whatever they announce for the first time ever members of the public will be at the launch. All collectors club members will get an invite with the latest magazine. Entry is for one person per invite only - although it may be too late for most of you who are not members for this year but it is worth thinking about for next year if you want to be there.

Guest dilbert

Whatever they announce for the first time ever members of the public will be at the launch. All collectors club members will get an invite with the latest magazine. Entry is for one person per invite only - although it may be too late for most of you who are not members for this year but it is worth thinking about for next year if you want to be there.

I received this today. SOme points of clarification :

- the invite is only valid for the afternoon of 14th March 2012 (13:00-17:00 GMT)

- the letter I have has (what appears to be) a unique invitation number

- quote 'The invitation will admit one person (yourself) only as a valued club member'

...dilbert

As many here will now have seen, the Collectors Club’s invitation letter starts “As part of our ongoing commitment to you, we would like to take this opportunity to invite you to the forthcoming Model & Hobby Show 2012â€.

Sadly, due to other commitments I will be unable to get myself to Coventry on a Wednesday afternoon. More importantly though, as the Bachmann Collectors Club is an in-house operation, this invitation does illustrate Bachmann’s attempts to forge closer ties with their customer base and should be applauded. Another thought may be that they are confident that those able to attend will be pleased with the new announcements.

RP

Archived