Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

Guest stuartp

The BR 2MT Mogul would be an obvious "quick win".

Nah, that'll be ages yet. My DJH one won't get it's slot on the workbench until later this year, just in time for the 2013 releases.

My money is on the 77000 because I don't need one.

What I would hope for in steam era wagons is that they do much as with the LNER design general merchandise vehicles, and produce a selection of LMS standard vans and opens. Only the most common of company owned stock. Also feel there is a real opening for the LMS/LNER/BR 22T plate and twin bolster wagon designs which would serve grouping steam through to blue diesel. All those zillions of green and blue class 37s out there need something to haul in and out of steelmaking areas...

Guest dilbert

With the two North American based A4s to be repatriated to the UK for a sisterly family reunion to celebrate 75th anniversary of Mallard's record breaking run, would an LNER dynamometer car be on the cards as a standard release (or left to the NRM as a commission or even to Hornby to produce)?... dilbert

I'm thinking as LNER locos seem to be in vogue at the minute, plus Bachmann in particular seem to like to have a surviving example to work from where they can, I think a D11 is a strong condenter. Also with the 3F selling very well, I wouldn't be suprised if we dont see a J, which one have no idea, but I'd say a J15 or 21 would be the most likely. We can't rule out a J6 or 11 though as both have done well in polls.

I'd go with Larry on the 4F been a strong contender, as they are 1/2 way there already.

I would think the GWR 43 and 93xxs and possiably the V1 will be in line for new chassis. In reality those moguls are really old and could do with a totaly new model....but would the market stand it?

On the Classic Traction front, another 3rd rail set and another 1st gen DMU? both seem to get mopped up rapidly when released. I can't see another electric out until the 85 has proved theres a market for it. As for very modern stuff, I know so little about it I'll not say anything. I'll leave that for the guys in the know.

Jim

What could Bachmann now do to cheer up their Southern fanbase?

Now that the 4CEP and 2EPB have proved their worth then expanding the range of third rail SR stock would make sense.

The 2BIL and 2HAL would be easy to do and extremely well subscribed :scenic: follow ups together with a Bulleid 4SUB unit...

Then there is the matter of the SECR birdcage stock which I am sure by now they would know to be another extremely popular choice..

Now if they have decided on this then perhaps they have a E4 Tank or somesuch in the works to pull them?

And Yes they may have decided its time to upgrade the chassis on their GWR Manors - that would also be an obvious move for their upgrade programme...

Guest Belgian

I would think that a BR 2HAP is likely, since the EPB power car and the Hampshire unit driving trailer composite are both to be in production this year. Also perhaps a 'proper' model of a class 59 might be tempting and a revamp of the class 04 Drewry along the lines of the 03.

They may go for an H class 0-4-4T to accompany the C class, as it is the numerically-largest Southern prototype not yet tackled by anyone. I would also think a 4F is a strong possibility as described by Coachman and an LNER 0-6-0, possibly the J15.

On the coaching front perhaps the Thompson gangwayed stock is most in need of an upgrade, although since the LMS Porthole stock hasn't yet appeared even in samples yet maybe there will just be an addtion to the BR mk 2 range, perhaps air-con stock since Hornby have not taken the opportunity to replace the Airfix ones.

For additions to the goods stock they might retool the Grain wagons as there are few crossover steam/diesel era wagons still outstanding and a new version of the GWR 'Toad' brake van seems to be well and truly overdue.

JE

Bachmann has the MR 3F 0-6-0 chassis so I would assume it will make a move to block Hornby and drop a 4F body on it.

Eight-coupled locos seem to have become very popular of late so the preserved NER Q6 0-8-0 wouldn't suprise me.

Seeing as Bachmann has done a very good 4-4-0 chassis for the NRM, I wonder if this might be developed?

I wonder about the 4F- As much as I'd like and need one, is doing another Midland 0-6-0 only a short time after the 3F running the risk of either being a slow seller because the 3F is already out? Might they be more likely to look at another region first?

I'd still say it's high on the list of probabilities- there's an obvious captive market for one, if only from all those people who've bought the S&DJR 2-8-0 (and presumably the 3F), but maybe not this year?

As you suggest, it might depend on whether they feel the need to head off any potential Hornby release- although I can't make my mind up whether Hornby putting a new loco-drive chassis under the venerable ex-Airfix model means a 'proper' re-tooled 4F from them is less likely in the near future, or more likely because the new chassis puts them part-way there....

I'd be fairly surprised not to see another 4-4-0 and something black and eight-coupled- both themes seem to be very much in vogue with both Bachmann and Hornby lrecently...

I wonder if we might see a LNWR Webb "Coal Tank". The National Collection has one (NRM tie in), they were common on both goods and passenger well into the late 1950s and worked alongside the G7s around the Midlands, and it's a workaday prototype which seems to be increasingly popular. Nice range of liveries, all on a theme of black though.

Whatever Bachmann announce I'm sure there will be an "I never saw that coming" moment!

That certainly sounds like an 'I never saw that coming moment! The Coal Tank is one that never occurred to me but I like the idea- as you say, there's one preserved (and isn't 1054 due back into service this year?), and it's a nice fit with the G2 and 3F in terms of workaday black locos for the LMS/LMR modeller...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxO3233s_XM&feature=related

[

What I would hope for in steam era wagons is that they do much as with the LNER design general merchandise vehicles, and produce a selection of LMS standard vans and opens. Only the most common of company owned stock. Also feel there is a real opening for the LMS/LNER/BR 22T plate and twin bolster wagon designs which would serve grouping steam through to blue diesel. All those zillions of green and blue class 37s out there need something to haul in and out of steelmaking areas...

Definitely- some nice LMS standard vans and opens would go down very nicely. Maybe a brake van as well...?

The Webb tank has the same diameter wheels as the G2, although I am not sure about spoke detail. I think that it makes a really good case as 60 odd made it to BR days, and were reasonably well spread.

The southern steamers may be due something from Bachmann, and in light of the warm reception of less numerous prototypes (such as the 7F and NRM special runs), what about a Z, an E2, or an Adams Radial?

Safer money would be on the 4F (I wouldn't be surprised if this suddenly appeared in the shops this summer), or 94xx.

Whatever is announced, I would hope that a smaller tank engine features this year. Hornby's last was the M7, and Bachmann the Jinty/retooled 57xx.

N

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping to see Bachmann follow up the earl with a bulldog, though I suspect if that happens it won't be until after the earl has hit the shelves

I really hope they don't just rechassis the manor and 43xx and instead do the job properly, though after last years rechassis jobs I'm not hopefull

A range of lms common user wagons would go down well

• RMweb Gold

OK, here's my speculation:

Retooled 2-6-2 tank, possibly with a BR Standard option - if they were clever they could use the same basic tooling with interchangable detail, a bit more Heljan in approach to assembly but possible.

Curve ball? an O1 to rival Hornby as they already have the chassis etc.

Don't normally contribute to these threads... but, here goes:

BR Blue 47, with glazed headcode panel and serck shutters (it's taking me a while to get to this at the moment)

Air Con Mk 2s.... 2d for me (east coast) but variations of e or f acceptable.

A retooled 40.

How about a retooled 55... although I could wait another year perhaps

Modern image... 377s... as our local, prolific and very comfy modern image transport (Southern please).... or as my youngest used to say "my favourite green train!"

Curve ball - a passenger tank engine of pre-grouping origin. The pre grouping model which could prove that pre grouping models sell is the C class, not out yet. I wouldn't rule out a complementary SECR H class tank engine, as with the C class, it still exists and as a class it worked well into BR days.

Use of the slightly incorrect tender (water filler cap) on the O4s doesn't seem to have put their sales down, so a reuse of this tooling to go behind any from D11, D49, J11 or O4/8 or O4/7 would make some sense in terms of shared tooling. I say D49 as I'm not convinced the Railroad one would stop Bachmann doing a hi-fi version for their own range, and the preserved example has a GCR tender too.

I think another big passenger engine may be on the cards, any from the Thompson A2 variety to do as they did with the Bachmann A2 to A1 and share the tender tooling, and possibly much of the chassis common to the A2.

But my money would go on a new Parallel boiler Scot. With quite a variety of liveries and lots of names, including a Royal Scot in various forms, it stands out to me as the gap that a lot of LMS modellers would go for.

I'm surprised that the V2 with retooled chassis hasn't appeared yet - maybe they've choosen to retool the body as well. Hense the delay?

I suppose a cursory eye over the mremag polls would give a good indication of what may be coming

Coaches a Mk1 open first will join the 4mm range - as it's already announced in the Farish range . May be a BSO or further TPO vehicles would join it.

Just reading Simon's post an A2/3 would be a curve ball. A K1 more likely

An LNER 0-6-0 would be very much liked! :) something like a J27 or J21.....or maybe a J6....theres the J15 and not forgetting the J11 too which have always seemed popular. Plenty to choose from. Saying that, a J37 or J36 would be appreciated by the Scottish modellers I'm sure!

• RMweb Premium

With so much call lately for a re-tooled Toad brake van, I would hope that Bachmann have heard the comments and release a new version.

I would also hope for some new toolings for Great Western locos, 43xx etc. in the Roundel livery to go with the changes to the Collett coches which this year have appeared with the roundel again. I wonder at some point if Bachmann will replace these coaches.... Toplights perhaps?

Not sure I can see too many completely new locos, but something of the right shaed of Green will be nice!

• RMweb Premium

My predictions for 2012:

A mixture of new tooling and more chassis upgrades on existing locos, like their B1, A4 and V2:

New tooling:

LNER pre-group 0-6-0, my prediction is for either a NER J21 or NBR J36.

BR Std 2 2-6-2T with options for backdating to the Ivatt version

Stanier Mogul

2HAP, following on from the 2EPB

Class 172 DMU (London Overground, London Midland or Chiltern liveries)

RNA barrier wagons (ex-HEA) to go with the FNA nuclear flask

Scenecraft 1950s pre-fab council housing

Severn Valley Railway station buildings set

Bachmann's website links to three heritage railways: Bluebell, GCR and Severn Valley and they've released models of Sheffield Park and Rothley stations so this year it's the Severn Valley's turn.

Upgrades with new DCC-ready chassis:

GWR Manor

GWR 43XX

New sound-fitted locos:

G2

S&D 7F

3F 0-6-0

New liveries:

47 in 2-tone green with original small yellow panels and with two-piece Serck roof radiators (that's never been done, only the original 3-piece radiator versions)

2EPB in blue/grey without NSE branding and headlight, and in light green EMU livery with early cycling lion emblem

G2 in LNWR lined black (Collector's Club version)

108 power twin DMU in green with New Brighton and Wrexham destinations (already done by Farish)

150/1 in First Great Western plain blue

150/2 in current Northern livery

Matching brake van to go with nuclear flask trains

A 450 Desiro in South West Trains is on the cards but may appear in next year's announcements depending on how well the 350s sell.

Hi All.

Having been a hit in N gauge an upscaling of the 101 is a possibility and to keep the 3rd rail fans happy a 2HAP is worth a punt !

Modern Wagons --- Hmmm I reckon a 'Red Snapper' or EWS bogie MLA, ballast box.

As for Others LMS 'Std' wagons are a reasonable thought too!

A BR CCT would finish off the MK1 parcels derived vehicles and as had been said a MK1 FO as it's in the GF Range.

As it is a year of A4 celebrations, how about a re-tooled A4 starting with the NRM release?

A small/medium tank for either the SR ( E/H ) or LNER ( J6X ) areas would be a reasonable bet too. possibly a late runner on the GWR Front as it's been a bit quite, but we still awaite the "Earl".

A BR STD 2 is the obvious gap and if doing a 'Heljan Stylee' for the mould work would it be possible for tank and tender versions to be produced at the same ?? - Not to sure on that one myself.

I belive that would leave us with the STD 3 2-6-0 Tender loco as the final gap filler ??

Fun This ! :)

Mike

What I would "like", would be ;

4-COR

2-BIL or 2-HAL

E2 or E4

Black Motor

An "009" locomotive (really should come from Hornby/Grafar or Dapol)

(And, taking inspiration from above [and a new book out shortly] - a detailed, accurate railway crane)

--------------------------

What I actually think will sell well ;

Class 455

4-BEP

4-EPB

Standard Class 2MT 2-6-0

Guest Belgian

And, taking inspiration from above [and a new book out shortly] - a detailed, accurate railway crane

Hmmmm. I think you might well have hit upon something there: Bachmann have a recent history of producing esoteric wagons and a crane would be well within their range. A suitable one (I haven't read the new book yet!) would cover a very wide timescale in railway terms.

JE

Might Bachmann expand on the 419 MLV liveries or will we have to wait till next year, considering it was announced in 2011 but won't be ready until later this year?

Following on from the modern MPV and popularity of limited editions did any of the current sub-class of 2-EPB ever make it into departmental stock?

I can see them producing the London Overground turbostar in the correct livery but perhaps not with the detail differences.

If they're looking at the LM Turbostar with a corridor connections then they might as well think about a 375/377... Yes please. A 376 and 378 would be great too! Looking at the speed at which the Desiro was released modern image units with fewer rivets, door handles etc seem easier to produce.

• RMweb Gold

Blue/grey EPB without NSE branding: essential.

Updated 40: ditto.

SWT 450: a natural progression from the 350.

4CIG/4TC: long overdue and should sell well.

Curve ball: Er, could I have an E1 to go with the forthcoming IoW O2 please?

Archived