Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

class 377 , class 442 ,more 411 ceps and 450 swt livery ohh and a 378 simples not biased to a southern theme one bit

Oh Yes PLz Lol

Also What about a class 88 and more prototypes and a class 376 + 465 + 466 + 508 emus

A class 59 could clean up against the Hornby version although they should have done it at the same time as the 66.

I think the mk1 CCT is a good bet, certainly a nice companion for the GUV and most will buy more than 1.

DMU wise I am aware Bachmann have previously muttered that the 101 would not be upscaled because of the existence of the Limby one, but then previously they have said no Blue Pullman, no Electrics, no EMU's so the 101 is a sure bet! Failing that a 104 would be a good choice.

Motorail flat would be an outside bet, especially since I have just made 3....

24/25 upgrade must be on the horizon if not this year, maybe in the next few.

• RMweb Gold

First time ever on one of these posts so here goes!

J15

BR Std 78xxx 2-6-0

That'll be me very happy then!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'd put money on air con Mk2s,

perhaps a J25 or a Q6 - but could there be a Trans Pennine set? After all they have the window and roof tooline and a 5 or 6 car set would go with the Blue Pullman principals

• RMweb Premium

My prdeiction is that in 52 weeks time i will be reading the same thread but called Bachmann Speculation 2013

I bet you're a right bundle of fun on a night out.......................... :locomotive:

See you at Stafford.

Cheers,

Mick

I can see them producing the London Overground turbostar in the correct livery but perhaps not with the detail differences.

If they're looking at the LM Turbostar with a corridor connections then they might as well think about a 375/377... Yes please. A 376 and 378 would be great too! Looking at the speed at which the Desiro was released modern image units with fewer rivets, door handles etc seem easier to produce.

The snag with the apparent similarity between the 172/2 and 377 is the London Midland dmu is 23.6m long and the 377 20.6m long. I suppose though if the body sides and back were a seperate moulding to the cab front (which would probably be needed anyway as the 172 has individual bodyside window pans and the 377 ribbon-glazing) it might be possible, but that is increasing the number of tools needed.

One quick hit I wonder if Bachmann could consider - how about a three car 150/1-150/2 lash up? There were some early examples way back in 1989 in early Provincial Sprinter livery which saw use on the Cambrian and North Wales lines, and of course the Birmingham area units which ran in three versions of Centro livery. Now, FGW will also be running two sets on Bristol area services, so that's four or five livery options, no extra mouldings needed and just a bit of re-engineering of the coupler bars to allow through wiring to a second trailer car.

Bound to happen as I'm attempting the exact same thing using some e-bay bought spare trailer chassis....

I also wonder if the 150 might emerge in some of the earlier Regional Railways livery styles such as GMPTE and Centro-"ReggieRail" although I suspect Bachmann might be steering clear of them in case any dealer want to commission them as happened to the Merseyrail livery.

I would love a 4CIG, 4TC or 2HAP so none of them will be announced. A Mk1 FO would be nice also so again one won't be announced.

So off the wishlist and onto the speculation - 2EPB's released with new numbers, SWT 450 & I'm thinking a class 71 electric as this would fit in with Bachmann's attempts to model the SR SED.

I also think we will see a class 104 announced and as previously mentioned seeing as Bachmann link to the Bluebell, GCR & SVR on their website I think scenecraft will do some SVR station stuff.

New liveries are due on the 150s and also later liveries on the class 47.

Steam - not a clue.

Steve

I'll get the negative side out of the way first. A while ago Bachmann said pretty conclusively that they weren't interested in full retooling of existing models in their range. The stance taken with the V2 B1 and A4 would seem to confirm that attitude still exists. ...

Pity, they have some reasonable, albeit old, coaches in their range (I'm specifically thinking of the GWR Colletts), which could be upgraded, a lost opportunity methinks. For years they were the best GWR coaching stock around.

Some years ago, Bachmann set the standard with their Mk1 stock, but (to my eyes) they have recently ceded pole position to Hornby's Maunsells, Hawksworths and Gresley Suburbans, I wonder if 2012 will see Bachmann take pole position again?

F

• RMweb Gold

I can't keep up with all this! The Hornby announcements sort of took me by surprise, and that's already making for a potentially very expensive year now, notwithstanding all the other nice stuff that Bachmann had in their 2011 catalogue, most of which I'd like to own but don't actually need in any way, shape or form... then there was that thread on the Dapol 2012 catalogue!......

I think that Bachmann would be very sensible to re-vamp the Manor and the 43XX Mogul. These have been in their range for a long time and new models would be very popular, I suspect. And with that, some decent, ordinary 1930s Collett stock to go with them.

I agree with those who suggest a 4F to go on their 3F chassis and thus better the Hornby example.

But the suggestions I agree with most of all is that for more DMUs and EMUs. Given the ubiquity of the Class 117 unit on the W.R., that surely has to be a contender, eventually?

Someone also suggested an 'H' class 0-4-4T - I'd agree that this is 'only a matter of time' (so if not this year, them maybe 2013 or a bit later).

What they probably won't do, however, is a decent, typical R-T-R British industrial loco....

I bet you're a right bundle of fun on a night out.......................... :locomotive:

See you at Stafford.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

looking forward to it... by the way spent last Tuesday with Spike, shared a pizza and a few beers.

See you at the weekend for a few more

J

I have a feeling they will put out a couple of heavyweight 37/7's now they have the tooling for them from the rail exclusive models although I think they're may be a clause that they're not allowed to produce them until the others have sold or they have to wait a while IIRC. Also imagine that the 37/5 will get a few more modern liveries as well.

only speculation of course.

cheers,

Lukasz

Hi folks

in the steam range i can see Bachmann producing a long firebox variant of their jubilee and also bringing back models of the WD and the standard five

new items hopefully will include a thompson pacific either Hornby or Bachmann will release it some day and make a mint on one or all the variants of these locos ,and a 0-6-0 4f would be a obvious choice to go with their 3f , this is a long shot but a Q6 might be on the cards seen as eight coupled freight engines seem to be in vouge now .

diesel/electric i can see a new class 59 and a class 20 with lights and hopefully the long awaited class 40. Not sure about electric locos as its not really my field but maybe a new class 86/87 !

multiple units i can see a new first gen dmu coming hopefully a new 101 but a 104/110 would be awesome and maybe another emu again not my main intrest , just hope on future dmu the chassis block isnt as promminent as it is on the existing models produced i.e 108 / 150

coaching stock i can see a mk1 first open and a bso ,a cct and hopefully some mk2 tso's and maybe some new mk2 e/f variants and for a very long shot some mk3's

freight wagons i dont know anything about this area or whats currently available so wouldnt like to comment.

Cheers Andy

Pity, they have some reasonable, albeit old, coaches in their range (I'm specifically thinking of the GWR Colletts), which could be upgraded, a lost opportunity methinks. For years they were the best GWR coaching stock around. Some years ago, Bachmann set the standard with their Mk1 stock, but (to my eyes) they have recently ceded pole position to Hornby's Maunsells, Hawksworths and Gresley Suburbans, I wonder if 2012 will see Bachmann take pole position again? F
The same can't be said for the Thompson stock - these really are poor. As much as I was delighted with the ER Suburban announcements for Hornby. Gangwayed stock I beleive would have appealed more.

• RMweb Premium

Ok, so not necessarily what I want but what we might see....

I think a 4-BEP, a SWT Class 450 and a Class 101 Met-Cam DMU (since they have the N gauge tooling) can be expected, if not for 2012/13 then 2013/14. But I don't think we'll see a 2-HAP just yet as Bachmann surely needs to progress the Thumper for Kernow MRC first.

We may also see a retooled and DCC ready chassis for the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T or an all new BR STD 2-6-2T. Hopefully the former as they were more widespread - the BR version is of no interest use to me.

But my wild card prediction is the SR Maunsell Q Class 0-6-0. There's has been plenty of clamouring for more 0-6-0s, Bachmann is producing lots of Bluebell Railway themed items at present (the C Class and all that Scenecraft) and..... in the latest Bluebell News there is a comment that its Q Class 30541 will be resurrected soon as a short term stop gap measure to avoid a medium power range locomotive shortage. And Bachmann does like Preservation tie-ins for its steam loco models.

EDIT: To be fair to RedgateModels (below), Yes the 84xxx are nice looking, but operationally I need the Ivatts.

Not too much to add to this.

My gut keeps telling me to expect MK2 Pullmans to go with the 85. Something a little special, plenty of relivery options and not likely from another source just yet. They might then be the stepping stone to the MK2 aircons that we're all asking for.

On my "at some point, maybe not this year" list has to be the 2HAP, 4BEP, Refurbished CEP and BEP, 450 and 59, with the MK1 CCT feeling a very likely in the next year or so.

If Bachmann tackle the 104, a 110 would seem inevitable at some point given the relatedness of the two but I can see them getting tore into the 64.5" DMUs at some point, probably starting with the 120.

• RMweb Gold

the BR version is of no interest to me.

But Sir, they are so much prettier

post-6717-0-88708100-1327921764_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I too have no real interest in an RTR 84xxx, but that doesn't mean that others havn't ;)

Bachmann have long stated their aim to re-chassis all their split chassis locos, so a retooled 2-6-2 Ivatt is probably going to happen and you will have your wish. Nowt wrong with the split chassis mind, well, could do with proper slide supports on the valve gear but apart from that it runs great and DCC fitting them is one of my specialities .....

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally , have you noticed the 110 does actually appear in the 2012 Hornby catalogue in one of their dioramas. I wonder if they were considering bringing it back out?

I noticed that too. But then last year the catalogue included a Railroad Class 40 (40028) with(out) discs but we haven't see that either... So I've stopped paying too much attention to the dioramas as a guide to future offerings.

But this is the Bachmann thread.... :no:

Been giving the various BR regions some thought. Whilst a lot of folk live/lived in cities, a lot more dwell in satelite towns where the railways were anything but mainline. Fewer people lived close by one of the major express mainlines and so if a young chap wants to know what the local railwayline was all about in his fathers and grandfathers time, he will probably find the engines were small tender and tank locos, very few of which are available RTR as yet.

Thinking about it, the London Midland Region has made do with elderly models of the Black Five, Duchess and Princess Royal, while the Royal Scot with parallel boiler has not been re-done, nor has the long-firebox Jubilee. The Eastern Region has not had a revamped V2 and the B17 is dragging its feet. A lot of towns just never saw these types of engines.

So are we heading for a range of model locomotives that were common & garden types encountered by the majority of folk and which fit easily into a small layout of a local line? The latest non-corridor coaching stock seems to lead to this as does the intro of freight locos big and small. Maybe that LNER J-whatever 0-6-0 tender loco, the A5 4-6-2T, the L&Y 3F 0-6-0, the Fowler 3MT 2-6-2T, the 'H' class 0-4-4T and the BR Standard 'Mickey Mouse' etc etc are just around the corner.

I suspect the spectacular locos such as the P2 Mikado, GNR Large Atlantic and maybe GCR 'Director' will eminate from limited-editions.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if we might see a LNWR Webb "Coal Tank". The National Collection has one (NRM tie in), they were common on both goods and passenger well into the late 1950s and worked alongside the G7s around the Midlands, and it's a workaday prototype which seems to be increasingly popular. Nice range of liveries, all on a theme of black though.

1054 actually belongs to the National Trust, although it would be a sensible choice. That said, smaller tank engines in OO seem to be becoming the more or less exclusive preserve of Dapol.

As to NRM exclusives, these seem to come along once every two years and have so far been of prototypes which have run on the main line since nationalisation, which are part of the National Collection, which are quite prestigious and which are not already made to current standards by any of the major manufacturers. That doesn't leave all that many choices, so when a new model is announced (probably in 2013) the chances are that it will be one of the Ivatt 4-4-2s, or 'Hardwicke' or perhaps even APT-E. Any advance on those four?

For this year I reckon we're looking at a D11 and perhaps - based upon the increasing paucity of available D&E prototypes, the popularity of Bachmann's MUs and railcars, the popularity of the prototypes and the age of the Limby model - a GWR diesel railcar. If Bachmann doesn't do one, Heljan probably will.

• RMweb Premium

I think that the majority view of another unit is a safe-ish bet; though Hornby and Bachmann have duplicated part of each others ranges, I'd be surprised if there's really an apitite for this and so I'd suggest that it'll not be a better model of one already in the Hornby stable but something fresh.

As a fan of the 24/25 family I'd love to see an upgraded model with all the 'glaring errors' dialled out, but looking at the face of the Farish 24 (which had the benefit of all the feedback from the 4mm models) I'm not sure what I see as a problem is percieved as such by Bachmann.

I'd like to think that pre group steam is in the ascendant and I wonder if a P might be on the cards to go with the C? Given Bachmanns admirable attitude to take on the workaday as well as the glamourous, I could see the suggested J21, J27, Coal Tank etc being possible too.

I'm predicting a 64'6" length DMU, most likely the 117, this could be tooled with slides for the sides to enable all the 64'6" Classes to be done. Its a relatively easy conversion to a Class 127 with a lima one as it is .

Also, midland buildings in the scenecraft range.

I predict Bachman will be announcing.....

some old Mainline and Replica models with tooling from the 1970's and 80's (at a premium price of course!)

a Scenecraft model of the Olympic Aquatics centre - just fill with water and push around the little plastic swimmers, or dive bomb high divers into it (kid's will love it)

a new range of models fitted with cheap can motors and traction tyres

the introduction of a new budget RailCheap brand; designed for the new age of austerity and featuring reworked versions of the Brio wooden train range (with super add-on stickers).

....and to compete with Hornby in the tat souvenir stakes....

some plastic Olympic mascots, including that well known cartoon character, Wacky Boris.

novelty flick-knives featuring former British Olympic athletes

special edition Olympic 10p coins - only a fiver each

A new range of toy horses named "Old Pony". Multipacks will be also be available, sold as "Load of Old Pony".

A plastic toy vending machine that can fire deep fried Mars Bars into the mouths of your lovely, obese little darlings.

Bachmann YouRope chief, Mr Roger Hairpiece, predicts a bright future ahead.

Archived