Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

For diesels, other then re-tooling or improving existing models in the range, the only new locos for Bachmann that stand out are the 73 and the 59. The 59 is the more likely. Some wagons to go with it would be good too.

Re-tooling wise, mabye a 20/3 but I dont think they will touch the 24/5.

I think we will see a 37/7 as the 37/5s are broadly the same.

I do not thing we will see an another electric loco until after the 85 comes out.

DMUs, I think we will see another first generation, 116 or 120 or maybe the 101 as others have suggested.

EMU, I am not sure we will see another one this year but maybe a refurbished 4CEP.

There is a growing interest in engineering and plant. Maybe one of the long lived Plasser tamping machines.

Modern multiple units. I do not know these at all but probably one derivative of one they are already doing.

Coaches. Everyone seems to be asking for air con Mk2s so eventually one of the manufactures will do them and I guess Bachmann would have the most to gain from this as they do not have any older tooling like Hornby.

Freight - 80s container flats, back date the existing Railtrack hoppers to PIA/KJA Tiphook. Maybe go head to head with Hornby of the HAA and finally I think there is a market for a Yeoman/ARC PTA or similar.

We might also get some limited time special exclusives like the POS with Modelzone but this probably would not be part of the main announcement in March. We could well see another Post Office coach done in this way. On the exclusive loco front the most likely candidate would be 18000 but I think there are a lot of products in that market so maybe next year.

No predictions for steam as I do not know enough about it :)

I have not mentioned anything we know is already definitely in the pipeline like a re-tooled 40.

Retooled Manor and 43xx perhaps.?

This has been promised for some time. Historically Bachmann only appear to revamp when there is a competition hint at the same protoype.

Mention has been made of further 57XX releases. Opportunity for Bachmann to modify the tooling and remove all traces of the top feed and produce a pannier that is actually correct for the many pre 1946 modellers (and many post 1945 modellers - some scrapped without every receiving the modification).

If the Earl was already in the shops, then I would have suggested other GWR classes that share the same chassis. Also other larger 4-4-0's such as Flowers, Atbara's etc using the same wheel/chassis arrangements as Truro, but this would put Bachmann in competition with itself for the GWR market and there is currently already one profit warning in the model railway market. Maybe 2013/4?

Mike Wiltshire

My predictions are as follows:-

Steam - Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T retooled with a BR STD 2-6-2T and 2-6-0 tender version as well. The 2 tanks have minor differences and the tender version will come from the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0.

I don't think we will see a new 0-6-0 announced this year as they have the C Class on the go once this gets closer to release they will announce another one next year.

Diesels/DMU - The retooled class 40 has to break some form of cover if not in March then in July/Aug at the trade day. There is a real shortage of Diesels to model now so I think we may not see a new model this year - most likely waiting on the new DRS loco to arrive - they announced the class 70 when the first of the real one's docked.

I think another first Gen DMU will be revealed. Bachmann have launched all 3 in their catalogue now and the Blue Pullman is getting close so they will want something to keep them going - 101 or 110 perhaps. Maybe in a year or 2 after the Blue Pullman we will see a Trans-pennine DMU

Electric/EMU - The 85 is almost here so I think they will announce another leccy - 81 or 84 maybe?

The 450 will almost certainly be announced. There is only a few minor differences between the 350 and 450 and I will be very surprised if Bachmann have not incorporated these into the mouldings.

Coaches - Air-Con Mk2's - there is a demand for these and it was mentioned in the Scotrail Push-Pull thread someone is doing Scotrail Mk2's and I think it will be Bachmann.

Wagons - This is not my strong point so I cannot make any predictions here except for plenty of re-liveries of existing models. As Hornby announced nothing new on the wagon front perhaps this is Bachmann's chance to capture the market.

I would also hope for some new toolings for Great Western locos, 43xx etc. in the Roundel livery to go with the changes to the Collett coches which this year have appeared with the roundel again. I wonder at some point if Bachmann will replace these coaches.... Toplights perhaps?

Same suggestion was made for Hornby's 2012 releases. Major headache for toplights, as the prototypes are so early. There are challenges to be able to exploit all the livery variations as the bodies were heavily modified over the years. By the 1950's most could hardly be called toplights anymore due to platings over the hammered glass windows, removal of panelling, panelled doors etc.The diners were unrecogniseable compared to the original build.

Would not mind a few more myself and save me having to build some of the kits still on the shelf. If Bachmann are to produce new GWR stock I suspect the steel sided 1920's onward stock are a safer bet as they remained pretty much intact, through several livery variations, until they were scrapped.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

As we have had pre-grouping 0-6-0s for the LMS and Southern and there is the Collett 2251 for the GWR, I would think that one gap in the market is for an LNER area pre-grouping 0-6-0. The one with the biggest appeal in terms of geographical spread and a decent lifespan would be the J11, which also happens to be able to use, with slight mods, the O4 tender. I hope they don't do one as I have kit built 2 and recently acquired another 2 scratchbuilt examples, none of which will be as good as a Bachmann one!

Looking at keeping down development costs, which has to be a big factor in the modern economic climate, I would have thought a Compound in LMS/BR condition, a 4F and perhaps, following on the GCR theme, a D11.

Although the tender carried by Butler Henderson is different in a number of respects and would need much new tooling.

I am sure some Directors must have had the standard 4,000 gallon tender at some time and that would be an easy mod for the ROD one.

Following on from last years Bluebell Railway related announcments (Sheffield Park station buildings, the Dukedog & C class locos). I expect some models that are suitable to go with those, so maybe the Metropolitian Railway Ashbury coaches?

Something from the Bluebell. I'd go for another unique class. LBSCR E4, LSWR Adams Radial (maybe more suited to a Kernow release), LSWR B4, North London Tank, Q Class (to go with the N's and Nelson's), SECR H Class, SECR 01 Class (to complement the upcoming C Class), NLR 75 Class (Or as its also known North London Tank).

The Ashbury coaches do sound good though.

Given the attention to detail on the new 85 I wouldn't be too supprised if they announced an 81 at some point as the chassis could be shared between the two models. Some mk2 aircons would be nice as well.

2 HAP and 4 BEP are obvious choices based on ease of development (both vehicles in the HAP set already tooled and the BEP needs just one new vehicle tooled).

Some further DCC chassis upgrades (guessing V1/3 / LN / Some GWR thing)

BR Standard 2 and derived tooling (so possibly an updated 41XXX too)

Possibly a D11 and a ER 0-6-0 (J15 or J27 given previous references as to how Bachmann like to model items that are preserved)

No new Diesel items as such, although I would expect the EE Type 4 to make an appearance at some point. Plenty of reliveries and sound options though (hint - do a plain green Cl.44)

Coaching wise I really can't see new tooling on existing subjects (Bullieds and Thompsons) so I'm not sure what else there is that they would go for. It seems plenty of folk want more Mk2 variety, I'm not sure how much tooling would be needed to produce the desired types.

Ignore all the above..I expect Barwell will throw us all a curveball which is what makes this fun!

I think theres a certain amount of inescapable logic about the 4F, after all the chassis is there as is the Fowler tender, as pointed out a relatively financial easy win. Add to that Hornby have had chance after chance to do something with their existing model and failed to take it up - game over.

I think another heritage DMU is a winner. Not the 110 though, but maybe the 104 which were much more widespread about the country, again another own goal by the people in Margate as the 110 they produced all those years ago is not a bad model at all.. Theres a thought, does Simon Kholer employ someone called De Gea as "goalie" in market research? Other than the 104, the swindon cross country units may bring a ray of sunshine to a number of people. Then of course theres always the trans pennine units. Dream on Andy C.

Maybe also a heritage overhead EMU even?

Diesels - not much scope left really other than upgrades and why speculate on the more esoteric types when you have traders willing to commission models? Upgrades to the 40 and to the 24/25 seem well in order by now though.

Coaches - LMS suburbans?

Waggon wise, Im not so sure, The main bases are already covered but the Prestwin has struck me as a logical development from the Presflo. Personally at the risk of slipping into wishes a timber P would appease the Scottish contingent!

Mk1 blue/grey TPO "letters" van with the tiny upper windows.

Class 81 AC - there is no need to wait and see if the 85 is going to be a success.

Retooled Class 20 (with lights)

The new class 40 (on the burner for ages)

For me the Mk2 aircons fall into the "wishlist" rather than the intelligent speculation list. However we might see a further batch of early mk2 open coaches or possibly those with the wide opening doors.

A few have mentioned motorail flats but as these ran up to load 18/19 with mk1 sleepers and mk1/2 day coaches I cant see many having the space to accurately run these so I wouldnt put these under the speculation banner either more a wishlist.

• RMweb Gold

A few have mentioned motorail flats but as these ran up to load 18/19 with mk1 sleepers and mk1/2 day coaches I cant see many having the space to accurately run these so I wouldnt put these under the speculation banner either more a wishlist.

Err they did appear in freight movements and in shunting moves. You don't need all that much space to justify a couple. What makes you think I want one or two? :no:

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought a 450 3rd rail Desiro is a certainty

Air Con mkIIs, much requested and Hornby haven't done anything about upgrading theirs

Steam Locos- well they don't go for glamour, so I'd say a North Eastern 0-8-0 and maybe something Scottish . The Caley 812 class seems to have gone down very well on the Severn Valley Railway. Surely this year we will have a true Scottish loco.

On the dmu front they still have some variations on the 108 I would like, but agree a 120 would go down well. I wonder if they would be comncerned that they have too many dmus of the same type though and maybe go for a high density dmu- the 116 is an obvious choice and would be very popular. Incidentally , have you noticed the 110 does actually appear in the 2012 Hornby catalogue in one of their dioramas. I wonder if they were considering bringing it back out?

the 110 does actually appear in the 2012 Hornby catalogue in one of their dioramas. I wonder if they were considering bringing it back out?

First mention of that I've seen. Reworked drivetrain and into Railroad? They could (and have) do(ne) worse.

• RMweb Premium

My prdeiction is that in 52 weeks time i will be reading the same thread but called Bachmann Speculation 2013

Yes, Nobby, there is an inescapable logic in what you say!! lol. What would we do without the capacity to froth and forever look forward?! Well, maybe we might find time to do a bit of modelling...I suppose!

Reminds me of that dude Descartes ... "I froth, therefore I am!"

Jeff

Refusing to "wishlist", my predictions are:

412xx with split chassis gets reworked chassis and 84xxx body, maybe adaptable to both designs. I think this has been out of the catalogue a while?

43xxx gets morphed into a 76xxx; though I think that still sells well so maybe not this year?

104 dmu; I was told they bought both a Derby LtWt & 104 kit from DC Kits somewhile back so it is likely.

J15 0-6-0 possibly, as a popular wishlist loco; what concerns me is the small body, problem fitting the mechanism in maybe.(My fave wishlist along with Claud & N7 though...).

Anything in N not in 00 also transferred across. No idea about N range nor modern D&E, not my interests.

Incidentally, in this day & age I don't follow the logic of "they now make an 0-7-0 chassis for the SLR, so can put a WGR body on it", thats from the Triang era!.

Quite hard to predict for N gauge modern stuff as there isn't much left to release that would be commercially viable, and there is already the 350, 20 and Pullman plus I think 3 steamers left to come out already announced. Will be interesting as Dapol release their plans at roughly the same time.

I would expect Farish to produce something from the below:

Class 70 (shrunk from OO)

Class 150s in new liveries - seem to have sold pretty poorly, took ages to clear the first runs, but I would expect some other liveries sometime in next 18 months.

Class 37s in later liveries - different detailing for EWS, DRS etc

Class 57 in Network Rail livery

Class 47s in later liveries - DRS, Colas, etc

Class 60 in DBS

A cheeky but welcome release would be Mk3s for the NMT - with those printed sides, a cheap an easy one to go with the Dapol HST pair...

I also wouldn't be suprised if there isn't a new A3 or A4 announced - despite Dapol doing the same, the locos have been absent from the catalogue for a while, seems to be a pattern when they're updating older models.

David

• RMweb Premium

I'll get the negative side out of the way first. A while ago Bachmann said pretty conclusively that they weren't interested in full retooling of existing models in their range. The stance taken with the V2 B1 and A4 would seem to confirm that attitude still exists. For that reason alone I would not expect to see any existing steam loco get more than a chassis upgrade. The same may not apply to diesels though, as there is so little left to do, so perhaps a revamp of one of their early efforts may be a possibility. Class 24/25 would be the logical choice.

Next negative bit. As has already been mentioned, a new version of an existing class of loco, long in the tooth though it may be, may not do too well in the present chilly economic climate. Many people now have a very limited budget, so faced with the choice of either replacing an existing model which still performs acceptably, or augmenting their stud with something completely new, I reckon the latter would be the choice of most.

Having said that, I can see a 4F being a distinct possibility. Hornby have clearly signalled their intentions so far as that loco is concerned, and the 3F puts Bachmann well on the way to producing one relatively cheaply. Given the pricing of the 3F, Bachmann look capable of doing a state of the art 4F for quite a bit less that Hornby's partial revamp. There's another long lived extremely numerous and widely distributed class for them to snap up on the cheap!

If it weren't for the NRM situation I would say that a D11 would be very likely, but my suspicion is that it may well have been pencilled in by the NRM, so it won't happen yet. An LNER 0.6.0 Is I think pretty certain, LMS and Southern having been done or announced, and a GW one already being in their range. Which one? Too tough to call- plenty of good candidates, for all of which powerful argument can be made.

Another heavy freight loco? Possibly. LNER again? Also possible, as there are several large classes to choose from. If it happens, I suspect something more North East based, as an 02 would to a degree duplicate the areas covered by their 04. Anyway, mid March we shall all know, and as always, some will be disappointed.

Guest Belgian

One steam locomotive possibility might be the Brighton Atlantic which can also be adapted to produce a GNR Ivatt Atlantic. The latter might be a suitable NRM special, in particular for next year as it is the 60th anniversary of the very last runs of the two preserved Ivatt Atlantics, in connection with the Doncaster Centenary. A GNR Atlantic would also satisfy the LNER-lust which seems to be currently predominent.

JE

Next negative bit. As has already been mentioned, a new version of an existing class of loco, long in the tooth though it may be, may not do too well in the present chilly economic climate. Many people now have a very limited budget, so faced with the choice of either replacing an existing model which still performs acceptably, or augmenting their stud with something completely new, I reckon the latter would be the choice of most.

Hopefully not too off topic here, but I think that if anything the work going into the Dapol Western disproves your theory... although that will only be verified with firm orders, but the impression is that orders will flow.

For retooling, there are a number of options in Bachmann's stable that could really benefit from being brought into the 21st centuary in terms of accuracy and precision, and I think that the effort would be rewarded with orders... but, let's wait and see what happens.., unless of course Bachmann do request a steer.

Given Dapol's "toe in the water" with some O gauge private owner wagons, and Heljan's O gauge stuff over the last couple of years, I wonder if Bachmann will look back at the success of the O gauge brass stuff they did a few years ago and announce some more items, possibly in plastic rather than brass to keep the costs down a bit and make them more tempting as 'entry level' stuff.

As the Dapol announcement is due soon, perhaps when we know what Dapol plan Bachmann will have their arm twisted?

Archived