Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

Whilst people still seem to be asking for the 57ft first generation DMUs. i think it's time someone and why not Bachman brought out one of the 64ft first generation DMUs. ...

Simple enough I think, Bachmann already have the shorter DMU chassis. Folk are probably mentioning (not necessarily 'asking for') the 57ft units because it's more likely to happen, i.e they're speculating rather than wishlisting.

...- but could there be a Trans Pennine set? After all they have the window and roof tooline and a 5 or 6 car set would go with the Blue Pullman principals

I'm still amazed at how often this pops up. The 'Pennine' certainly has a cult following (I should know :D ), but is it iconic in the same way as the Bee Pee? I dont think so. And despite all the mentions, I'm still waiting to see a convincing business case posted for precisely which combination of cars should be done.

What we need are EMU's that are not Southern, just for a change. After all the (LN)ER started using them before WW11 too. Same basic designs were to be found around other cities apart from London.

More small 0-6-0's like the J15. And British diesels with decent bogie sideframes (that are accurate and not just one dimensional).

However I'll take bets that none of the above will happen.

Best, Pete.

What we need are EMU's that are not Southern, just for a change.

Quite. I'd love a high quality RTR Class 302 (which I think has a fairly straightforward body shape and is based on the Mk1 bodyshell - so some synergies there?) as well as RTR Classes 305, 306 and 307 (both original and refurbished). Equally nice would be the "Clacton units" - Class 309s - both with wrap around and modified cab windows. All except the Clacton unit ran in 3 or 4 car sets (according to Wikipedia the Clacton units could run in 2, 3 or 4 car sets). So suitable for the smaller layout (????)

F (ex Gidea Park lad [so I'm biased])

There are a few gaps that Bachman could go for, and with Bachmans 18month window I expect to see a few 'place grabber' announcements to head off the competition. The profitability message hints that Bachmann are on the right track range wise so I expect we will see more of the same scale and character of developments as recent years.

Ill split my observations into sections

Locos

Diesel, not much to go for other than improvements/retools, hopefully the revised Cl40 will finally break cover. Other retooled big sellers would be Cl55 and possibly Cl25. They won’t attack any Hornby products, and Heljan have increasingly gone down the niche route so nothing to attack there. It would be nice to see some Cl47 livery and body variants that haven’t been produced yet or in a long while.

Electric, may have to wait a year to see how the 85 fares before announcing one of cl 81/82/83, although I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a place holder announcement of Cl86, an essential class for those modelling 25KvAC, long lived, and numerous liveries to have a crack at over the years.

Steam, I’m pretty certain we will see an ER 0-6-0, but which one, J15 would be my bet. If that’s not ancient enough I could also see something small-ish and prewar coming along (witness the C & Dukedog), dependant on NRM that could possible include either a Director or an Atlantic, but not if the NRM has these on the agenda in the short to medium term. There could even be something Scottish, an area of good sales potential, but what that will be I don’t know. I’ve been saying it for a while but a 78xxx would be an easy win, but maybe they haven’t done it as it would steal sales from the Ivatt Cl2. Mid size maybe the LMS Stanier mogul must be in with a shout as could a K1, both fit well with Bachman prototype selection of recent years. If they want to mine the seam of big freight locos then a big NE goods loco might emerge, again fitting nicely with previous choices of locos.

I would also expect further inroads into the replacement of split chassis (and please please please make them available separately, I’ve a B1 that’s begging for a new chassis or its going on ebay and Ill buy a Hornby replacement just to spite Bachman who wouldn’t make the new chassis available).

Units, here is a growth area, Bachman have a proven capability in this area especially in 1st gen DMU and there are still some potential good sellers to be done, with Hornby just warming over the 101 then it may be tempting to have a shot at this one, but my money would be on a higher density unit, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 123 or 124 (please please please, Ill have two full sets) as well.

We may well see another SR EMU emerging and you never know it could be one of the older types, especially as Hornby have ducked that for 2012.

Not sure on the modern units but this may well be an area to exploit also.

Coaching

Hornby have now gone for 2 types of LNER non gangwayed stock, I would have spread the coverage, but that leave the LMS corner is wide open for Bachman to lay claim to, Id say an almost certainty.

In the mainline ranges of coaching stock Barwell have slipped behind Margate since the Mk1 range was introduced. I can’t see it being business sense to challenge Hornby on new GWR/SR/LNER/Pullman stock, and the LMS was announced last year, so if there are to be other new coaches then they could well try to corner the Mk2 market with a range of aircons and possibly extension of the earlier variants. Re-working the Bullied/Thompson/Colletts remains possible though I think the Mk2 range could be the better long term bet at this stage with the other ranges to follow in later years.

Wagons

Not my strong suit but Id expect more of the same, Bachmann now dominate in this area for the discerning modeller.

Buildings - SVR stuff is a good shout

Ill be wrong in probably all counts, but its good fun to speculate

Perhaps an Ivatt 2-6-2T with a new chassis? or a J39 with again, a new chassis. The new/old Bachmann B1 doesn't look bad at all to me.

I'd like a tooling of a D49 to replace Hornby's (and mean less work for me!)

Maybe a new Black 5 just to get one over on Hornby?

end of the day, I'm not sure, I'm hopeless at guessing.

In the present economic climate maybe Bachmann will look at what they have already which could be utilized anew?

The obvious one being the 3F/4F cross-over; its asking for it really.

And having got some tender work done for the ROD, why not some more GCR based stuff like others have already stated; it would seem to make sense. A J11 would be very nice even if I have a Gibson kit, that can get done as a J11/3 if needs be :good:

As for diesels? The class 25's surely would benefit from getting revamped and got right?

Coaching stock is an area which again, as others have already implied, is an area Bachmann are due a return to form. Lets see if LMS suburban stock is due a visit - especially as the Porthole stock is due?

No doubt something left field will appear but its only speculation isn't it................................. :laugh:

All except the Clacton unit ran in 3 or 4 car sets (according to Wikipedia the Clacton units could run in 2, 3 or 4 car sets).

That's the problem with the Clacton units.

For the original build configuration, you have the following formations

309/1 (DMBSK+BDTS)

309/2 (BDTC+MBSK+TRB+DTC)

309/3 (BDTC+MBSK+TSO+DTC)

So 7 different vehicle types including 4 different driving carriages :O

Post refurbishment they come back as the following base types

309/1 (DMBS+TS+TC+BDTS)

309/3 (BDTC+MBS+TS_DTS)

Which is still 7 different vehicle types including 4 different driving carriages which differ from the unrefurbished ones :O

I'd love to see one in model form, but I think this weighs heavily against them :(

...So are we heading for a range of model locomotives that were common & garden types encountered by the majority of folk and which fit easily into a small layout of a local line? The latest non-corridor coaching stock seems to lead to this as does the intro of freight locos big and small ...

...Coaching stock is an area which again, as others have already implied, is an area Bachmann are due a return to form. Lets see if LMS suburban stock is due a visit - especially as the Porthole stock is due?...

Hopefully so, and I have been expecting either B or H to announce LMS non-corridor stock for the past couple of years. (The principal members of the LMS/BR 2-6-4T development all available, and several other small LMS and BR locos, but nothing of the typical passenger stock they moved day in day out on secondary services? I remain surprised at getting both Gresley and Thompson types from Hornby in short order. Perhaps Margate know something we don't?) Although Bachmann haven't been expanding their range of loco hauled coaching stock very fast, if you look on the MU's as coaches in tooling terms, they are maintaining something nearer parity with Hornby in terms of range expansion.

In the present economic climate maybe Bachmann will look at what they have already which could be utilized anew?

The obvious one being the 3F/4F cross-over; its asking for it really...

Same chassis goes downwards as well as upwards in power rating. Bach have always given out their dislike of duplication, and there's nice little outside frame with flycranks miniscule Derby freight power possible from that chassis...

As I mentioned on the Dapol speculation thread there are surely many Scottish locos,coaches,wagons,and buildings which could be done .Are Bachnann hinting at this with their Scottish articles in the Collectors Club Magazine?

Just think of those marvellous 4-4-0 nanes just waiting to be modelled.

Gavin

F (ex Gidea Park lad [so I'm biased])

And I'm From Shenfield! - My Dad moved us there because of the electric service in 1955. He actually wrote BR and requested a 3:30am service from Shenfield and got it!

I wonder if any other guys from our line left the country? Or maybe we all did...

Best, Pete.

,... and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 123 or 124 (please please please, Ill have two full sets) as well.

Ok, I'll bite :)

I'm still amazed at how often this pops up. The 'Pennine' certainly has a cult following (I should know :D ), but is it iconic in the same way as the Bee Pee? I dont think so. And despite all the mentions, I'm still waiting to see a convincing business case posted for precisely which combination of cars should be done.

What do you see as a 'full set', Zigzag? (and nobody else answer for him, please).

Look what you've started Mick!

What I speculate/would like to see from Bachmann this year:

RNA barrier wagons to go with the FNA's

GBRF childrens livery and colas for the 66

Current versions of the class 47 DRS and WCRC liveries.

37/7 heavyweight's in EWS & trainload liveries.

The only other alteration to make use of an existing tooling could be to model frieghtliners biomass covered hoppers?

Anyway I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Mark

And I'm From Shenfield! - My Dad moved us there because of the electric service in 1955. He actually wrote BR and requested a 3:30am service from Shenfield and got it!

I wonder if any other guys from our line left the country? Or maybe we all did...

Best, Pete.

Ceratinly moved from Forest Gate to Norfolk many would regard that as going abroad. :no: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Buildings, I agree with the SVR buildings, a couple of lines have been done already and SVR has some very impressive stations/buildings...why not?

Locos.....Not a clue but I would love Bachmann forever if they did a 47XX in steam, and the Stanier Mogul would be a welcome addition.

In diesel/electric... Not a lot if any of the big locos left to do and I know little about these so I guess to D/E modellers anything will be welcome, my personal yen would be for an 18000 gas turbine.

As to NRM exclusives, these seem to come along once every two years and have so far been of prototypes which have run on the main line since nationalisation, which are part of the National Collection, which are quite prestigious and which are not already made to current standards by any of the major manufacturers. That doesn't leave all that many choices, so when a new model is announced (probably in 2013) the chances are that it will be one of the Ivatt 4-4-2s, or 'Hardwicke' or perhaps even APT-E. Any advance on those four?

For this year I reckon we're looking at a D11 and perhaps - based upon the increasing paucity of available D&E prototypes, the popularity of Bachmann's MUs and railcars, the popularity of the prototypes and the age of the Limby model - a GWR diesel railcar. If Bachmann doesn't do one, Heljan probably will.

Hadn't given NRM exclusives much consideration, but an Ivatt Atlantic or Hardwicke would certainly appeal- I'd particularly like Hardwicke, and you could argue a certain logic for it as a follow-on to the Compound- Weren't the two seen as a pair fairly often during their 1980s main-line forays?

http://www.flickr.co...N00/6418678337/

(the other combination that comes to mind is Hardwicke and Evening Star IIRC?)

I can't help wondering if we might get that D11 as an NRM-exclusive Butler-Henderson rather than a 'mainstream' Bachmann release though...

Hi Mick

looking forward to it... by the way spent last Tuesday with Spike, shared a pizza and a few beers.

See you at the weekend for a few more

J

What? Mick eat pizza?????? Not bland enough for him!!!!!!!

See you at the weekend too!!!!!

34theletterbetweenB&D sai9d ::

Same chassis goes downwards as well as upwards in power rating. Bach have always given out their dislike of duplication, and there's nice little outside frame with flycranks miniscule Derby freight power possible from that chassis...

If you mean going down to Johnson 2F or Kirtley, I think the motor is too high in the Johnson 3F firebox to allow a lower boiler. The chassis would suit a L&Y 3F 0-6-0 and probably not a few Scottsh 0-6-0s as well.

• RMweb Premium

Hadn't given NRM exclusives much consideration, but an Ivatt Atlantic or Hardwicke would certainly appeal- I'd particularly like Hardwicke, and you could argue a certain logic for it as a follow-on to the Compound- Weren't the two seen as a pair fairly often during their 1980s main-line forays? .....

How about Hardwicke, a re-release of Joem, a pair of 04 shunters, royal blue and cream MK1s and some grain hoppers as a Derwent Valley Light Railway bumper gift set. I could even make a case for the DVLR stlye prefabricated station buildings as they are:

a/ stunningly characterful

b/ of the same pattern as used by the Midland Railway on the Grassington branch.

Can you tell i have a soft spot for the Derwent Valley?

Careful what you wish for - you may get a Tyneside 2-EPB... :no2:

Actually, this is a good point.., first/second generation EMUs... something like the PEP family (313 et al)... plenty of variant/livery scope there, or the 305s (again, plenty of variety there too)... 310/312s come to think of it... there are lots aren't there. :yes:

Sorry..., these have partly already been mentioned. I'll get my coat

I think the safe money is on the 4F as it makes sound financial sense, being that they are halfway there already with other components utilzied from the 3F.

Class 103/104 would be the next logical addition to the DMU fleet as a widely travelled example.

Reworking the 24/25 would again seem to be a priority for most to make the most of that sweet running chassis.

Maybe something 14/48/58xx is as it's not been given the attention it deserves since the late 90's rerelease of the Airfix original.

CCT as it again has not been revisited since the late 1970's despite Hornby's revamp some years ago-and on a purely selfish note, something that's Finescale compatible like the excellent brake van of yore!

Grain Wagon for the same reasons as above, and we can consign those 'orrible Dublo reworkings to history

What? Mick eat pizza?????? Not bland enough for him!!!!!!!

See you at the weekend too!!!!!

Hi Rob

No Mick was in London....... in Paddington for a conference ( well thats what he told us ) Spike and i had the pizza

See you for a few at Stafford.

Oh and i predict a nice new Class 73 from Bachmann...... :locomotive:

Archived