Kev's 7mm Workbench (Scorpio M2 Shunter's Truck)

Kev_Lewis

Nellie Goes To Swindon: Part 2.

Here's the list of changes to Nellie that I've come up with. I may not do all of these, but as I have pretty much all the bits I don't see why I can't go all the way.

• Sprung buffers,
  • Vacuum and steam heating pipes, plus pipework,
  • Screw couplings,
  • GWR pattern front lamp irons,
  • Tool boxes,
  • New smokebox door handle (the whitemetal one has been damaged),
  • One piece somekbox handrail,
  • Chimney and dome,
  • Top feed plus pipe work,
  • Firebox alterations,
  • GWR pattern safety valve,
  • GWR whistle, two of them on the cab roof,
  • GWR tank fillers and vents,
  • Cab hand rails,
  • Tank top beading (I left this off originally)
  • Bunker top beading (as above),
  • Bunker steps,
  • GWR pattern rear lamp irons,
  • Tool hangers,
  • ATC box,
  • Move reverser,
  • Rear window bars,
  • Cab doors.

I think that's all.

Hello Kev,

I hope that you don't mind but I've crossed a few bits out on your modification list, I'll explain why.

Vacuum pipes yes (possible), but the chances of this loco requiring steam heat I don't think so,

Screw couplings I would not expect it to have them,

Top feed very doubtful, more like to have clack feed valves on the boiler side or on the boiler backhead,

G.W.R. safety valve bonnet with no top feed,

Two whistles on the cab roof, only if fitted with vac. brakes (I think),

Tank vents could be a bit of over kill, as the tanks are small, if you want to fit them they (chances are) would only be small pipes in front of the cab,

A.T.C gear would be over kill, unless this loco is going to be used on main line workings a lot. IIRC some of the bigger locos never got it fitted?

Cab doors, OK but more like a length of chain that would go across the doorways.

These are just my thoughts, after all it's your loco,

OzzyO.

Guest Isambarduk

Kev,  I would certainly have a go at finessing those Nellie rods - it will make a huge difference.

Just for reference, you might be interested to see what I did to a model engineering friend's Nellie to make it look a bit more like a L&SWR C14 (with outside Walschaerts valve gear), which included working on the coupling rods:

LSWR_C14.jpg

There is a description and list at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LSWR_C14.htm  and there is also a frightening table of how long each task took me!

David

Guest Isambarduk

"What would you suggest doing to the rods?"

Well, as they arrive in the kit, they are a bit chunky - especially at the ends, which are also a bit thin compared to the middles. 

So, I would solder some bits of scrap over the ends of the rods (to make them thicker) and then I would file the ends down to a smaller diameter; now I realise that this is not easy and I would make a steel 'top hat' that I could put in the hole to file around and form a nice smooth circular shape, but perhaps you could find a steel screw (and nut) and use the head to do the same job.  I would also reduce the depth (ie remove material top and bottom) of the middle of the rods because they are rather deep for such a small loco.

When you have them all looking nice and smart, I would carefully tin each section with 145 solder and, whilst it's still molten, quickly wipe it 'dry' with a tissue to give a very convincing steel effect.  If you are not able to lightly varnish it soon, a very gentle wipe with a glass fibre brush or fine emery paper will restore the lustre.

Hope this helps,

David

Nellie Goes To Swindon: Part 3.

The blasphemy has progressed at a steady pace when time has allowed. A lot of the work so far has been disassembly, cleaning and tidying up.

So far the cab front was removed and 3mm taken off the top. This is to move the windows up clear of the 14XX firebox casting. Then the original boiler and firebox we cut to fit with the donor casting tacked in place. The chimney, dome and safety valve are only perched in place to give an idea.

post-12902-0-12230500-1406330395_thumb.jpg

Guest Isambarduk

I like the Belpaire firebox; that's a nice touch to make a different looking 'Nellie'.  I did wonder about it on such a small 0-4-0T, though, but then there is the GWR 1101 class:

berry003.jpg

7mm "1101" Class Dock Tank, built from a Gateneal kit by Jim Harris
(At www.gwr.org.uk/galberry1.html)

David

• RMweb Premium

Nellie Goes To Swindon: Part 3.

The blasphemy has progressed at a steady pace when time has allowed. A lot of the work so far has been disassembly, cleaning and tidying up.

So far the cab front was removed and 3mm taken off the top. This is to move the windows up clear of the 14XX firebox casting. Then the original boiler and firebox we cut to fit with the donor casting tacked in place. The chimney, dome and safety valve are only perched in place to give an idea.

attachicon.gifDSCF2952.jpg

Evening Kev, that's one of the nicest GWR locos I've seen. ;-p

• RMweb Premium

Touché.

I must crack on with her at some point. But I'm currently busy weathering a 1:16 tank for a mate.

I think we need a photo of the tank...like many modellers I cut my teeth on tank and plane kits.

Infidel! Anyway, look who's building a nice little 1366 tank.

:angel:

I think we need a photo of the tank...like many modellers I cut my teeth on tank and plane kits.

Very well then. Personally, I was all plane kits.

:offtopic:  I've struggled to get decent pics of my two hours of drybrushing, there's more rust on there. Hopefully I won't loose much of it under a light dusting of grime.

post-12902-0-40419000-1406978955_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-37564100-1406978971_thumb.jpg

nice tank Kev,I went to the midlands model engineering exhibition last year,They had a remote control quarter size tank,all in metal with engine sound, and guns,It was driving over large humps etc,And i have to say i want one of those,Nice

Nellie Goes To Swindon: Part 4.

With the tank ready to be returned to it's owner next weekend, and me amazed that I've actually managed to complete something well within the deadline, it's back to Nellie.

The old handrail holes have been filled and tidied, then new ones drilled. Holes for fixing the front lamp irons were also drilled. The smokebox and shortened boiler are now fixed back in place. I've also fitted the missing beading around the bunker top and tank tops. A rummage in my scrap box produced the original etches, complete with the missing beading. Oh, and the buffer holes have been enlarged to take the nice sprung buffers.

post-12902-0-64924500-1407105547_thumb.jpg

Nellie Goes To Swindon: Part 5.

Today I made a good start on the detail parts. Cab and smokebox handrail, tank fillers and vents, buffers and the front vacuum and steam pipes.

attachicon.gifDSCF2977.jpg

Crumbs that was quick !  Your not related to Ken are you ? :jester:

Archived