RMweb

2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

My pre-order still stands too.

I'd still rather have this with what I consider to be minor "issues" than a very narrow range of traction and rolling stock that was totally perfect and unaffordable to most of us.

Brave of Bachmann to persevere and broaden the GW RTR range.  We have had a fair few Halls and Castles and Kings since I first started modelling, and if you compare the detail on this to the last "different" RTR classes such as the Dean Goods, Granges and Manors of the Mainline era, this is manufactured to such a higher standard of detail.

Each to their own.  For those who like finescale and ultra perfect detail, go find the Martin Finney version, and make it, and for those of us who like a little modification to our RTR and who use license in varying quantities, this is a very welcome new addition to the stable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Strugelling to decide now as to whether or not to go for it. Given the £108 ought to be pretty much equating to a Finney bulldog which would be more useful to me...

Need some more photos of different angles I think, along with some dimensions...

• RMweb Premium

I'll be keeping my K's though my Earl order still stands as a quick fix for Tre pol & Pen (Just watch Kernow go for that one now!)

Mike Wiltshire

I already have the plates sat at home courtesy of Jackson Evans.  Ordered them the same day that I ordered the Dukedog.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd still rather have this with what I consider to be minor "issues" than a very narrow range of traction and rolling stock that was totally perfect and unaffordable to most of us.

Brave of Bachmann to persevere and broaden the GW RTR range.  We have had a fair few Halls and Castles and Kings since I first started modelling, and if you compare the detail on this to the last "different" RTR classes such as the Dean Goods, Granges and Manors of the Mainline era, this is manufactured to such a higher standard of detail.

Each to their own.  For those who like finescale and ultra perfect detail, go find the Martin Finney version, and make it, and for those of us who like a little modification to our RTR and who use license in varying quantities, this is a very welcome new addition to the stable.

I totally agree, minor issues on what otherwise promises to be a superb RTR model.

Edited by PMP99

Don't sell yer Finney kits...

At over £200 including tender wheels, motor etc, I would not be prepared to go down that route. In the past I would have considered the Mallard Earl (I have the Mallard Duke and that is as complex as I wish to go). We can all speculate until the cows come home but until I can hold one, in my hand, ay my local model shop, It is just speculation and I reserve any judgement until that day arrives. It is the same with the Hornby 2-8-0/2 tanks. I have not had the pleasure of running one in the model shop yet and therefore not qualified to comment.

Assuming the chaassis quality is the same as Truro, I can see some boiler/cab removals and conversions ahead.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

post-18453-0-70308700-1371285773_thumb.jpg

I think your friend's viewpoint is confirmed. Bachmann don't often drop a goolie of this magnitude, so I can think only that they had problems getting the motor axis in low enough above the drivers. (A cardan from motor-in-tender to loco would have been far better of course, but that's arguably way offtopic here.)

Here's a comparison - note the relative positions of the smokebox door, the smokebox front step, and the line of rivets underneath the smokebox door:

attachicon.gifdukedog-comparison1.jpg

attachicon.gifdukedog-comparison2.jpg

If the Bachmann boiler is 2mm too high, as it seems, it probably means the cab has been raised by an equivalent amount.

An interesting comparison, but am I being over cautious in suggesting there is something "not quite right" about the prototype picture itself?  Perhaps a little telephoto distortion of the smokebox.  My father's only picture dates from 1962 at the Bluebell and is far from ideal itself in that it is slap against the light.  However, does it suggest that Bachmann have got the basic shape OK?  Perhaps it is just the rivets and step a bit out on the model?  I also wonder what happened to the extra line of rivets that can be seen on this side of the smokebox.  Is this just on one side, or has 9012 had a new smokebox in the last 50 years?  I will bow to those with greater experience and better eyesight than I.

Richard

Edited by Froxfield2012

Assuming that Bachmann did get the diameter of the smokebox door correct, some editing, cutting and pasting gets you this: An overlay of the Bachmann front on the real engine

post-13158-0-30430100-1371291615_thumb.jpg

Not bad at all, Bachmann!  But it does show that the line of rivets under the smokebox door is too low on the Bachmann model, which gives the optical impression that the boiler of the model is mounted too high. Things like the step and the smokebox dart are somewhat cruder on the model, but still not bad for a reduction of 1:76.

My two cents, Sierd Jan

• Like 4

Perhaps it is just the rivets and step a bit out on the model?  I also wonder what happened to the extra line of rivets that can be seen on this side of the smokebox.

It could be the positioning of the smokebox front rivets and step. One of the other factors on judging boiler pitch is the comparison of the space between the tops of the splashers and the boiler. The use of 14.5mm wheel back-to-backs may have influenced the boiler pitch design. We don't know. We won't know until someone gets one and starts to measure the boiler pitch, boiler diameter and dome diameter etc, which probably won't be until December. I get the impression that measuring or mentioning dimensions in magazine reviews has gone completely out of fashion. Facts are now frowned on, subjective opinion rules.

Concerning the horizontal line of rivets on the side of the smokebox, this varied. The latest smokebox wrapper on the preserved 9017, which is what Bachmann is copying, has no rivet line. The most common on the prototype was a full line and the less common being an intermittent line (see prototype pics).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Will be very interesting to get one in the flesh to have a good look and measure, although Jan's photo manipulation above does seem at first glance that it is the rivets which are miss placed rather than something more critical (of course that is dependent on the smoke box assumption being correct.) 

I think my decision is now made and I will keep my preorder, the chance find of a photo of 9018 on freight at Yatton in 1950 (so only just out of scope in terms of era) is close enough for me to justify it on the layout.   

Just need to work out what livery it should be in for 1947.

In the photo zooming in on the tender there are some markings, but not really clear enough (to my eye at least) to work out if it has been repainted in BR and if not which GW logo.  Certainly it is in Green given the clear colour contrast between the smokebox and the boiler / cab and even clearer contrast between the frames and the boiler/cab. 

I have cropped the tender from the original image (hopefully that is ok copyright wise in the context of the question).  would be greatful if anyone else could identify (or knows of other sources which may assist.) 

post-54-0-12676000-1372109227.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Assuming that Bachmann did get the diameter of the smokebox door correct, some editing, cutting and pasting gets you this: An overlay of the Bachmann front on the real engine

attachicon.gifbulldog-comparison2.jpg

Not bad at all, Bachmann!  But it does show that the line of rivets under the smokebox door is too low on the Bachmann model, which gives the optical impression that the boiler of the model is mounted too high. Things like the step and the smokebox dart are somewhat cruder on the model, but still not bad for a reduction of 1:76.

My two cents, Sierd Jan

Can someone tell me why the smokebox on the model opens on the opposite side to the real loco, please? Did this vary between locos?

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine Rich that is a very well worn shirt button. Looking at the worn down way the system looked in 1947 anything goes really. It certainly isn't the Great Western lettering or just the simple GW wartime log.

Regards,

Nick. 

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year  -  now I know why all those Scts celebrate at Midnight on the 31st December !

Hattons have sent an e-mail saying that they expect the Earl Class sometime "between December 2013 and January 2014" !

Maybe they get special rates for delivery before the bank holiday.

• RMweb Premium

Oddly enough I was on the Bachmann website last night for something else and noticed the revised date of Dec 13.

• RMweb Premium

Shame they didn't get them into the shops before ModelZone started selling things at up to 50% off... :no2:

I only ever saw Hornby group stuff in Modelzone.

I would imagine that's the latest it will possibly be... but may come out earlier just covering them selves... I would guess a November date would be probably a target for them, but I guess does depend on the work force in China.
I took a shot of the weathered version at the Bluebell at the Model rail weekend at the end of June.

DSC01854_zpsd9220e73.jpg

• Like 5