RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

15 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

A nice model. Though this later model would indeed be fitted with the smaller Synchrosmoke unit, the side mounted body screw was introduced in 1961, with the cast chassis block.

The original Seuthe type chassis were marked with an “S” under one end. The Seuthe type smoke unit fitted into a hole in the front weight part of the chassis, which also had a tapped hole where the side screw went.

The later, from 1964 onwards, Synchrosmoke type chassis, marked “SS”, had the whole of the front weight removed, to take the Smoke unit box.

The side screw fitted into a tapped hole in the side of the smoke unit.

On the Diesel Shunter, and other non smoke fitted applications of the “SS” 0-6-0 chassis, the smoke unit was replaced by a screwed on weight block, which incorporated the tapped hole for the side screw.

Not exactly Rare.... but it is apparently in good condition. Now if our example could fetch a similar price....;)

Ahh, but ours doesn’t have a Synchromesh unit...a type of gearbox I believe...now that would make it Rare! :rolleyes:

This final version as sold in the listing with nickel plated wheels is indeed not common, but £63 is a good price for the seller!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I had a look through his list and spotted a couple of items that are bargains. The seller doesn't seem to know what he's got or what its worth.

Which is odd because he sells loads of railway models, has for quite some time and has been brought to my attention many times as a recommended seller. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Lima setrack really is only fit for landfill but top marks to this seller for an imaginative photo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-BUNDLE-OF-VINTAGE-LIMA-OO-HO-GAUGE-MODEL-RAILWAY-TRACK-STEEL-RAILS/303868132982?hash=item46bff3be76:g:XJkAAOSwnjtgDd0k

Meanwhile, call me old fashioned but if I was interested in job lot of unused transfers, it would perhaps be a good idea to actually show us photographs that you can zoom in on and actually see what they want me to part with my hard earned for.  I can't see most of these at all!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-k-Job-Lot-Of-Model-Transfers/184644830007?hash=item2afdb08337:g:SV0AAOSwQpZgFyg7

Oh and a slap on the wrist for using L@@K in the title too...:nono:

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

4-COR conversion

Perhaps if you close one eye and squint with the other it might resemble a Nelson.

Second thoughts, best to close both eyes.

Cheers

Darius

4-COR ? 

It looks suspiciously like the C2-AP version we discussed earlier. Or perhaps the CR-4P 

I'm not that well up on EMU nomenclature...

• Funny 3

15 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Lima setrack really is only fit for landfill but top marks to this seller for an imaginative photo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-BUNDLE-OF-VINTAGE-LIMA-OO-HO-GAUGE-MODEL-RAILWAY-TRACK-STEEL-RAILS/303868132982?hash=item46bff3be76:g:XJkAAOSwnjtgDd0k

That's actually rather funny! Not quite enough bits to spell "landfill" but, "bin", "tip" and "dump" are all within reach....

Meanwhile, call me old fashioned but if I was interested in job lot of unused transfers, it would perhaps be a good idea to actually show us photographs that you can zoom in on and actually see what they want me to part with my hard earned for.  I can't see most of these at all!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-k-Job-Lot-Of-Model-Transfers/184644830007?hash=item2afdb08337:g:SV0AAOSwQpZgFyg7

Oh and a slap on the wrist for using L@@K in the title too...:nono:

Lazy sellers description. Bad photos, doesn't deserve to make a sale. I had a "L@@k" figured that you couldn't tell half of what it was.... 

Slap on the wrist indeed for using l@@k in the title. 

As for making me look at pictures of buses.......

• Funny 4

2 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

£105 plus £6.95 p and p  for a Lima 50!  I've made a realistic offer. Let's see how that goes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/369-Lima-L205140-Class-50-50007-BR-Brunswick-Green-Sir-Edward-Elgar-Boxed-Mint-/353308283250?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

At least he isn't claiming that it's "Rare". I remember how many people bought at least two of each diesel as Lima issued different liveries. I remember a workmate taking his "stash" to a well known dealer after Lima ended production. They might be so mint and boxed that they're still in Hattons brown paper, with the contents lightly pencilled on, but I can only give you £15 each cos Lima, see?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

41 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

£105 plus £6.95 p and p  for a Lima 50!  I've made a realistic offer. Let's see how that goes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/369-Lima-L205140-Class-50-50007-BR-Brunswick-Green-Sir-Edward-Elgar-Boxed-Mint-/353308283250?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

"Item will be bubble wrapped and then cardboard wrapped for dispatch." That's nice!

• Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Funnily enough all three of my slightly more realistic offers were declined.

I've offered him some constructive comments on the price and wished him all the best.

Can't fault you there. Although they're not really my thing subject wise, The Lima's were likeable and generally reliable models that you could do a lot of detail work with. He might just realise that everyone is not trying to  get a rare model for nothing. Besides, I bet you offered a hell of a lot more than the trade, who might offer him a balloon ora lollipop...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Generally the asking price is about half what's being asked here. It may be a case like I have had before where someone who I know asked if I would eBay something for them and insisted on a highly optimistic price. Who then looks a chump? Me.

• Friendly/supportive 2

This stuff is worth whatever somebody is prepared to pay for it.  Some of the vendors are clearly traders and they have to make a profit (after paying ebay & paypal's rake-offs).  Anything that is overpriced (or has excessive postage charge) won't sell and will be relisted - either for a very long time or until the vendor reduces his starting price.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Item will be bubble wrapped and then cardboard wrapped for dispatch." That's nice!

Could be worse, considering the price of cardboard boxes nowadays it might have been wrapped in an old newspaper, then a plastic bin bag...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Some of the vendors are clearly traders and they have to make a profit (after paying ebay & paypal's rake-offs).  Anything that is overpriced (or has excessive postage charge) won't sell and will be relisted - either for a very long time or until the vendor reduces his starting price.

Rails have listed a load of 7mm stock today at between 25% and 50% more than the usual going rate (eg £100 for a Dapol brake van that were £70 brand new until recently).

They may well be fairly generous with offers but clearly they are experienced enough to know what they can get away with and since there is always someone prepared to pay, that then validates it and drives up expectation for next time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Rails have listed a load of 7mm stock today at between 25% and 50% more than the usual going rate (eg £100 for a Dapol brake van that were £70 brand new until recently).

Michael - is that for new or second hand? I could perhaps understand new if there were difficulties in supply and high demand (market forces etc) but if second hand?!

Steve S

PS

Have messaged a couple of eBay sellers trying to sell 20+ year old Hornby models at prices almost equivalent to a brand new price, pointing out that their items are (a) old (b) not DCC ready (c) in old packaging and (d) have no warranties and (e) furthermore were produced in such quantities as to make them neither rare nor collectable. Two of them described their items as "brand new" with original price tags still showing (eg Hornby J94 for £24.99 - so, how long ago was that new on the shelf?!)

I await their responses with baited breath!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puggers said:

I think this one might win the prize of 'Understatement of the Year!' or no s***t Sherlock!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254851866030?ul_noapp=true

Richard

Looking at this poor coach as an archaeologist: there appears to be a LNWR vehicle lurking beneath the later, LMS, printed paper 'sides'? A little careful conservation/restoration might be called for?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looking at this poor coach as an archaeologist: there appears to be a LNWR vehicle lurking beneath the later, LMS, printed paper 'sides'? A little careful conservation/restoration might be called for?

I wonder if the later paper LMS 'sides' relate in date to the Grouping in 1923? Perhaps they were supplied so that modellers could update their pre-Grouping rolling stock?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Dear oh dear, throw this lot of dangerous rubbish in your local council electrical recycling for God's sake!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOBLOT-SCRAPYARD-Hornby-TRIANG-LIMA-TRAIN-TRACK-CONTROLERS-SOLD-UNTESTED-SPARES/324464911367?hash=item4b8b9da407:g:2XkAAOSwjWJgD8je

Also, why is every single word in the description capitalised?!?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

Probably because it's "heavy" and "very difficult to find"? The purchaser may never be able to acquire a suitable original S-R chassis for this body, without spending stupid money.