RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You should see some of the stuff available to military modellers for dioramas. I have in my stash etchings for bird cages, spectacles, knives forks and spoons all in 1/72 scale and suitable for 00 scale. There is also cast resin white goods and furniture and even 'autumn leaves' pressed out of thin paper that look very realistic. 

I have always believed railway modellers have much to learn from our military-modelling bretherin!

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

50 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

perhaps he knows his market and there is a large railway/pirate crossover modelling market out there

Many of said pirates can be found sailing the Bay of e...

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

You should see some of the stuff available to military modellers for dioramas. I have in my stash etchings for bird cages, spectacles, knives forks and spoons all in 1/72 scale and suitable for 00 scale. There is also cast resin white goods and furniture and even 'autumn leaves' pressed out of thin paper that look very realistic. 

The garage dump on my layout is about 95% sourced from military models.

IMG_20230305_225459.jpg.3cf07c1f2d0707e78472b1694966d377.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"... Grown Man Playing with his Toy Train Set." A Christmas present? I wonder if this guy went on to serve in Vietnam? 

Richard Lines was asked by Model Railway Constructor in an interview in 1966 February, 'If he was a model railway enthusiast himself'?

To which he replied 'I do not think I am exactly what you could call a model railway enthusiast, but I adore playing with trains'!

So if it's good enough for someone, who presumably made a lot of money from the hobby, does it matter what others think?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The Class 313 parts insanity continues...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285367814458

Considering that there are four of these per unit times nineteen scrapped or about to be scrapped 313's, that means there is another 75 of these to come so hopefully by the time the initial lunacy has died down and the competition has spent all their pocket money for the next ten years, I can pick one up for a song...

Mind you, some suspicious bidding and then retractions have occured on all four lots now.  Can't help thinking there will be some non paying bidders on these.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

and even 'autumn leaves' pressed out of thin paper that look very realistic. 

I suspect that these would be acceptable for 1:76 and even 1:87 at a push.  Military modelling accessories and scenics might be worth checking out!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I have always believed railway modellers have much to learn from our military-modelling bretherin!

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I suspect that these would be acceptable for 1:76 and even 1:87 at a push.  Military modelling accessories and scenics might be worth checking out!

Its certainly a good idea to 'look over the fence' at what other model disciplines are doing. 

• Agree 7

45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its certainly a good idea to 'look over the fence' at what other model disciplines are doing. 

There are certainly some amazing painting techniques employed by “Warhammer” enthusiasts etc that are worth investigating by modellers for painting model figures; in fact, I think I’ve recently read about some of the “shadowing” techniques used on figures having been applied to model buildings in order to accentuate gutters, raised brick courses etc

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

There are certainly some amazing painting techniques employed by “Warhammer” enthusiasts etc that are worth investigating by modellers for painting model figures; in fact, I think I’ve recently read about some of the “shadowing” techniques used on figures having been applied to model buildings in order to accentuate gutters, raised brick courses etc

This is the very reason I follow so many of the paint manufacturers on Facebook, to look at techniques and links to tutorial videos on the net by gamers.  It's a great way of seeing how paint technology is advancing with the different types of medium (speed paints being a recent discovery for me) and even paint brush types.

This also led me to the paintRack app for Android (might be an iPhone version too?).  Pretty much any model colour (color) paint that's available is in there, with it's manufacturer and cat. no. etc (20,000 colours / 50 brands).  Guides and "tools" too 👍

https://www.courageousoctopus.com/

Edited by Tim Dubya
linkage & vid
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

There's some jaw dropping stuff being done by the gaming community as well as the military modellers. 

There are a few railway modellers using these techniques. George Haylock, who's not on a forum but posts on Instagram is one  example. He was at SWAG this year and I'm hoping I'll pursuade him back next year with his new layout. 

On here, @Locksleysprings to mind. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Don't you just hate it when people gratuitously mix 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scale models on the same layout!?

2mm at the front and 7mm at the back!

I do recall a layout that had a GWR type terminus in OO at one end, where trains appeared to go into a tunnel. At the other end of the tunnel there was a mirror image layout, but in N gauge, with almost identical trains.

So a train set off from one end, appeared to go through the tunnel (with suitable radiophonic type sounds) and came out in a different scale. Quite effective.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Don't you just hate it when people gratuitously mix 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scale models on the same layout!?

No, it is called perspective modelling and done well it is excellent. The great layout by my late friend Geoff Williams may not have used 7mm but it certainly mixed scales to great effect. 

image.png.0de6270e07ae03fc5384c5102deaf80f.png

Paul

• Agree 6

22 minutes ago, MJI said:

Common theme

Railway Modeller admires the Military Modellers diorama, but they then reply, but yours move.

Also, we consider 24 square feet a modest scene - in the plastic kit world, it would be exceptional.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MJI said:

Common theme

Railway Modeller admires the Military Modellers diorama, but they then reply, but yours move.

Hopefully they move, but sometimes they don't at the opening of an exhibition!😞

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, goldfish said:

actually modelling to scale

But often, in military wargaming, a stand of ten figures may actually be representing 1000 troops, which then calls into question scenery scaled to the figures...

Then there's "heroic" scale figures which have exaggerated features/musculature so as to look rather "heroic" or "super".

Edited by PeterStiles
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Its quite fun to use 2mm/N gauge model trains as miniature railways in a 4mm scale world!

Its a useful application for otherwise useless static/coarse models that would otherwise end up as "scrapyard" weathered monstrosities...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, goldfish said:

Such as actually modelling to scale, for example.

I say, steady on old chap!

2 hours ago, MJI said:

Common theme

Prolly just as well some of theirs don’t, or they’d invade Poland…

• Funny 8

4 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

But often, in military wargaming, a stand of ten figures may actually be representing 1000 troops, which then calls into question scenery scaled to the figures...

Then there's "heroic" scale figures which have exaggerated features/musculature so as to look rather "heroic" or "super".

"...exaggerated features/musculature..." - Modelu could do that for us!

• Funny 4