Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

New Old Stock, perhaps.  But the power cable looks anachronistic...

Very old stock - plug has no sleeves on live and neutral pins. BS:1363 was modified in 1984 to  require sleeved live and neutral pins. 

From https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-sleeved-plugs.php

"Non-sleeved plugs must be replaced on equipment that is hired out, second-hand equipment offered for sale, or appliances that are included in rental accommodation. This equipment is covered by the Plug & Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994. These regulations apply to all electrical equipment supplied during the course of a business".

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

I was going by the cable colour, my Duette has grey cable, I associate black with more "modern" equipment. Thanks for pointing out the plug, must admit I've still got lamps that have white bakelite plugs on them...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I guess Hell will freeze over before it reaches 99p!?

If you peruse Dante's Inferno, Cantos 32 to 34, you will see that Hell has already frozen over.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Very old stock - plug has no sleeves on live and neutral pins. BS:1363 was modified in 1984 to  require sleeved live and neutral pins. 

From https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-sleeved-plugs.php

"Non-sleeved plugs must be replaced on equipment that is hired out, second-hand equipment offered for sale, or appliances that are included in rental accommodation. This equipment is covered by the Plug & Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994. These regulations apply to all electrical equipment supplied during the course of a business".

But he is a private seller, or at least he purports to be - which maybe means he doesnt plan on declaring his profit to the Revenue.  They probably included that caveat in the regs because they didn't like the idea of Joe Public replacing 13A plugs on old appliances he was flogging at a car  boot sale or on Ebay.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

"Only used to test. Very nice unit when in a mint un used condition."

Which this one obviously isn't, so therefore it's not a very nice unit?

Mike.

• Agree 1

I rather like scary old electrical items, like this one which lurks in our living room. Rewired, cleaned and tested by my brother in law, a former aircraft engineer, it's absolutely fine. The components are so heavy duty, you'd have to look inside a modern military radio to find anything similar.

IMG_20240425_212114.jpg.7a699ad0f08fd1ec075ced24eef0d96a.jpg

• Like 10

I have 3 of those duettes, one I use every day for testing. Hasn't blown up yet, touch wood, but I wouldn't pay 100 quid for one, or sell one.

One of my favorite YouTube channels is a guy who gets working pre-70s televisions and radios.. When I say gets working, he doesn't repair or restore them because they are too far gone, but finds them dumped by the side of the road or down mines and does just enough to get them working so no replacement of  leaky capacitors etc.. He's basically fearless of high voltage from being an ex repairman so half the fun is watching what will catch fire when he turns on a tv he's just jetwashed to get the mud out of 😲. He's actually very safety orientated and these are 1+ hour long serious tutorials,but every now and then he has a bit of fun - wired this microwave into one of those  retro 2000's Crossley record player stereos and the resulting smoke and fire had the neighbours phoning him up thinking his house was on fire. "No, I'm having a barbecue"😂

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Well.

Whoever assembled it in China worked from a kit of parts, and it must contain SOME metal, but yes, I know what you mean! 🤪

Going Cheap?  At least they have the courtesy to start the listing at under the original selling price...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, but a series of photos that do not show the loco outside the box and from other angles shouts 'chiseller getting rid of faulty item' pretty loud to my ears!  I'd be very wary of this item.

• Agree 5

A bit of fixing up and removal of the black paint (Dulux applied using next door's cat as a brush?) and it would actually look pretty good.

Not £175 good though.

• Agree 7

22 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I wonder how Bachmann would feel having their name attached to it?

I mean, it’s either kit built or Bachmann - and that ain’t Bachmann!

🤔

Mr G's creative writing??

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Just now, Paul H Vigor said:

Thanks for the reminder - I’ve been busy of late and so did not recognise his alter ego selling name - of course this is just par for the course for He Who Shall Not Be Paid

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

A bit bent!

🤪

Ar you referring to the item or the seller????

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

35 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

He really should be in the running for a Goldsmith's Prize for fiction writing.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

He really should be in the running for a Goldsmith's Prize for fiction writing.

47 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Gothic horror!?

Perhaps his nom-de-plume for this item should have been "The Little Antique Toy Shop of Horrors"... 🤔 🤪

2 hours ago, rab said:

Ar you referring to the item or the seller????

Welllll..... 🤪

Edited by Hroth
missed out a word
  • Funny 5